PDA

View Full Version : school/place to do CIR in Melbourne

TSRABECOMING
5th Aug 2011, 23:31
Which flying school/club is recommended to do command multi engine instrument rating in melbourne. What is the estimated cost for the whole course.
Can I use my flying time from two type of twin piston aircraft to complete this training? A school told me to fly a single type until finish the course.

ChaseIt
6th Aug 2011, 00:26
Hey mate the average initial MECIR can cost anywhere between 15-20k (you get what you pay for! can SOMETIMES apply here) and depending on how you go ie additional training... I don't know what your talking about with you already having some twin flying and wanting it to count towards the rating, if this is your initial MECIR you will have to do the complete syllabus. The only way your previous flying will count is if the types you are endorsed on are also used by the flight school... That and your previous experience should help a few nerves in handling the aircraft in an IFR environment... As for schools, i'm sorry i havent heard much about IFR courses down there except that there are some schools that like to charge for a little extra icing on the cake cough* OAA...

Best of luck :ok:

EPIRB
6th Aug 2011, 01:10
Go to Peter Bini. You won't go wrong there.

in-cog-nito
6th Aug 2011, 01:17
Hi there,
Agree with the last post(especially the cough bit!). Like most posts about flying training enquiries, go talk to each of the schools and meet the actual people you will be flying with. You might like the price, but dislike the instructor or the facilities.

As far Schools go, I would try Peter Bini's, MFT, MAS, MFS, TVSA first. No, I don't work for any of them.

Some schools will start you in a single first to get you used IFR ops before adding the extra workload of the multi.
Is that what you mean about using two piston types?

I have taught using single then multi and all in the multi after the sim before. There were advantages and disadvantages to both, but the students spent similar amount money in end.

Things that will cost you extra.
Do have a NVFR? if not, you will need 10 hours at night with 5 of 10 command. In other words, 5 hours of solo night circuits under supervision which is a pain in the arse to roster with duty times and all. The rest can be done during your training.

IREX! pass the exam before you start. MECIR training is demanding. Don't make it harder by trying to study IREX at the same time. Have seen people try this in the past. They end up having to self study from a book(which may not fully cover the syllabus) and if they fail, it could delay the test. Delaying the test could make you rusty leading to more dollars being unnecssarily spent.

Good luck the rating and I hope this helps

In-cog :}

ChaseIt
6th Aug 2011, 03:31
I second what in-cog-nito said :D

bigbrother
6th Aug 2011, 05:37
I can recommend only 1 guy who now works part time but will teach you ALL you need to save your bacon in a piston twin. I flew out of central Australia to Victoria just to do my PA31 endorsement with him because I knew I would have the confidence to go up for any check with a future employer with his training. Send me a private message and I will pass on his details to you. You will get the one on one attention not found anywhere these days.:)

LexAir
7th Aug 2011, 03:36
Pearson Aviation at Essendon is currently offering a special package price of $13,990 which includes 40 hours (20 in a PA.44), IREX, landing fees and and flight test. As I understand it Guy Pearson is doing most of the flight training himself and he has 30 plus years in the industry and does the flight testing.

A37575
7th Aug 2011, 13:20
and he has 30 plus years in the industry and does the flight testing.

And he is a lawyer, too:ok: