PDA

View Full Version : Google SSL beta

Pelikal
5th Aug 2011, 17:17
Perhaps related to the other thread on Google search, has anyone else had their Google search homepage suddenly switch to "Google SSL beta"? I was using Chrome the other night, went to use Google and had this beta page come up. Something to do with encrpytion I understand.

What I don't get is that the top black bar is empty except for a gear wheel! No web, images, videos and maps to select.

So I tried FF and the page was in Slovac! Tried IE and seemed OK. I notice on the beta page there is a link to "classic"; that seems to go nowhere.

I don't mind trying out a beta product but at least give the user the choice:=.

I would just like to know how to either use the (so far unwelcome) beta version or revert back to the classic. Have to say I'm a little surprised that hasn't been a mention of it on here yet.

Thanks. RP.

mixture
5th Aug 2011, 17:40
There is a discussion about it here (http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Web%20Search/thread?tid=3ca0263072258068&hl=en)

Seems an add-on is the most common culprit, but the thread has other ideas too.

Pelikal
5th Aug 2011, 18:23
mixture, thanks for the link. Just sends me straight back to the beta home page!! Can't go anywhere from there. Just seems it's stuck in a loop. It seems to me Google has got a tad too precious for itself. Doesn't like people questioning its authority. Tried a search using Dogpile in IE and certainly there are people having the same issue.

I don't have an account with Google, nor do I think I should have to have one. All I want is the 'classic' version back.

Perhaps I'm missing something but thanks for the reply anyway:ok:.

R.P. (Oh yes, Gg still loads in Slovak in IE).

mixture
5th Aug 2011, 20:21
Can you get to this site (http://howtoavoidgooglebeta.********.com/) ?

Edit to add : Stupid PPRune... replace all the stars you see with the word b*logspot (without the star)

Pelikal
5th Aug 2011, 23:17
mixture, cheers, I'm a bit slow. Haven't gone through it all yet. I'm just :mad: annoyed it was thrust upon me (us) in the manner it was. Yet to find the benefits but I will give it a try when the Cider has settled.

I'm still clueless why I get Slovak in IE!!!

Many regards,

R.P.