PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card Receipts

jay_hl
5th Aug 2011, 18:09
I paid for something (over 500) today and paid on credit card with a chip and PIN machine. The lady who was serving me gave me both credit card receipts by mistake (the one with my card number ***'d out, as well as the receipt showing my card number in full).

As my card went through the PIN machine I am presuming that I have still paid on my card, but can anyone enlighten me if the shop will get the money, or any other complications which might happen?

Thanks

Sailor Vee
5th Aug 2011, 18:12
I think it will go through, but the lady might well realise her mistake when trying to balance the till at the end of trading, and a no coffee interview will surely follow!

hellsbrink
5th Aug 2011, 18:17
The payment goes through almost instantly, so you will be paying.

As Sailor Vee says, the woman will have fun totting up her till at the end of the shift and, unless her own printout of transactions shows the missing payment from you, could be facing a rather sudden change of career

Rossian
5th Aug 2011, 19:06
....at our local Mr T. esco buying bottle of whisky with its security tag around the neck.
Checkout lady smacks neck of bottle onto the release the tag machine to free it.
"Ouch" I comment "how many bottle necks did you break before you got the right force?"
"None" slides bottle towards me . Finish packing up shopping, pay and go home.
"How much was Scotch?" asks SWMBO.
"um um it's not on the till receipt"??
Ring store and explain to customer service what happened. Bring the bottle in and the receipt and we'll sort it out was the instruction.
Go in a couple of hours later and explain I was bothered that the nice checkout lady would be dropped in the dwang when it came to balance the till.
"Thankyou for being so thoughtful and honest and take the bottle" Gratis.

The Ancient Mariner

11Fan
5th Aug 2011, 19:14
I'm with Mariner on this. :ok: Good karma is a wonderful thing.

Bad karma on the other hand...............

mixture
5th Aug 2011, 21:40
jay_hl,

Yes, they will get the payment.

Authorisation occurs at the point of transaction and hence is marked off by your bank as an impending settlement against your available credit limit.

At the end of the day, the merchant runs a reconciliation report, this is the point at which they are effectively telling their acquirer to initiate settlement for the days transactions.

All being well, the money will generally be in their bank account T+3 with no further interactions needed.

The only point at which the transaction till receipt would be needed is if there is an issue with the reconciliation process or if the Reconciliation Team (or other department) at the acquirer has a query ... at which point the ability to present a till receipt may speed up resolution of their query, although there are no doubt 101 other ways they can get the information, just it may take longer.

As others have also stated, the merchant may also have their own internal reconciliation procedures to balance the day's takings.

I've probably missed out all sorts of bits of detail (such as debit vs credit card settlements), but I think the above will suffice for the purpose of this post.

Hope this helps.

Parapunter
5th Aug 2011, 21:53
As a Saturday boy at John Lewis, years & years ago, I inadvertently used my real login as opposed to the training one when being taught to use the till.

For laughs, when being shown how to put through a manual transaction, then do it myself, I rang up a sale for 2,500,000.

This led directly to a meeting with the accountant, no tea or biccies and a lifelong aversion to retail careers.

Capetonian
5th Aug 2011, 23:55
When I was doing some testing on ticketing systems for an airline, I was using an offline test ticketing system. Being too lazy to look up the dummy credit card numbers that had been set up for the purpose, I used my own, and issued myself a few first class tickets home, and so on, as one does.

A week later, on attempting to check out from the hotel, my credit card was declined. As I hadn't used it for a while, other than the above, I was surprised and rang the bank. They told me that they had outstanding authorisations on several airlines for tickets. What I didn't know was that the system obtained the authorisation prior to issuing the ticket, and although my card was never debited, the authorisation had been set aside and the card was thus effectively blocked.