PDA

View Full Version : two guys, 500 bucks...

stuckgear
5th Aug 2011, 14:47
Soldiers' Lives Saved by Toy Truck | Video - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/video/soldiers-lives-saved-by-remote-control-truck-14220751)

Staff Sgt. Christopher Fessenden is on duty in Afghanistan after tours with the Army in Iraq.
He was sent a radio-controlled model truck by his brother Ernie, a software engineer in Rochester, Minnesota, and now the toy has saved the lives of six American soldiers.

Ernie and Kevin Guy, the owner of the Everything Hobby shop in Rochester, rigged it with a wireless video camera and shipped it to him.
The little truck was used by the troops to run ahead of them on patrols and look for roadside bombs.

Last week, it paid off. Chris Fessenden said he had loaned the truck to a group of fellow soldiers, who used it to check the road ahead of them on a patrol.

It got tangled in a trip wire connected to what Chris says was 500 lb of explosives.

They added the video camera, with a small monitor that Chris could mount on his rifle.

Mr Guy believes the total cost came to about $500.

Ironic isn't it, two guys, 500 bucks of off the shelf bits and they manage to achieve what billions of 'government' money in development cannot achieve.

cavortingcheetah
5th Aug 2011, 15:02
Unfortunately for the tax payer I believe that more often than not it's the cumulative $500 pieces of kit that costs $billions through military procurement and the commensurate financial abuse that goes with itt.

radeng
5th Aug 2011, 15:57
Do not forget the definition of a battleship - a rowing boat to Admiralty specification.

Plus the procurement process must be 'fair and open', so it takes forever and costs a fortune.

As they say, the British Army has a new weapon. It doesn't work, and you can't fire it - it's called an MoD civil servant.

Flash2001
5th Aug 2011, 18:40
That's an old one Radeng. We used to call the Bomarc the "Civil Service" for that very reason.

After an excellent landing etc...

AlpineSkier
5th Aug 2011, 20:06
I'm not usually in on similar threads, but this type of article seems to offer at least a differefent aquisiontal and operational perspective on his type of vehicle.

Neptunus Rex
5th Aug 2011, 20:48
Good on "the Guys."

I hope that they get a Government contract, save more lives and make lotsa dosh. They deserve it for their initiative.