PDA

View Full Version : Qatar Australian bases

The Green Goblin
5th Aug 2011, 05:19
So..... whats the story with the advertised positions on AFAP?

A330 Captains Wanted
Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane bases
A prominent overseas international airline is recruiting current A330 Captains for three new pilot bases in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane Australia.
An attractive salary package is being offered with excellent T&C's.
USD salary Nett (tax paid)
Overtime over 80 hours/ month
6 weeks on/ 3 weeks off or 4 weeks on/ 2 weeks off
3 year contract, renewable
Syd, Mel, Bris bases
Basic Requirements:

Current on A330 (or A340/380 subject to airline's approval)
Valid JAA/FAA/ICAO ATPL
CMD MEIR/Class 1 Medical
English ICAO Level 4
Min PIC 600 on A330 (or A340/380 subject to airline's approval
Min PIC 3000 total hours on any aircraft
Max entry age 57 (58 considered subject to experience)
Right to live and work in Australia unrestricted (Australian passport/ work visa)
Interviews and screening commence immediately.

For further information contact:
Rick Gill
Mobile: 61-400958610 (Australia)
Email: [email protected]

or
Peter Cosford
Mobile: 974-33632469 (Qatar)
Email: [email protected]

Would be very interesting if Emirates follows suit!

The Kelpie
5th Aug 2011, 05:34
Jetstar Asia??

It would be easy for them to hide behind an Agency!!

More to Follow

The Kelpie

The Green Goblin
5th Aug 2011, 05:41
Peter Cosford - Qatar | LinkedIn (http://qa.linkedin.com/pub/peter-cosford/33/114/280)

It also has Qatar next to his name on the ad.

Interesting times.

This is a good strategy by the likes of Qatar to compete for resources of Australian flight crew. It will drive conditions up, limit Jetstars expansion and put a stop to Qantas plans of outsourcing.

They need Australian crews to live overseas remember. If there is an option at home (like Emirates, Qatar etc), the plan will not work.

empacher48
5th Aug 2011, 05:47
I just thought it was for Qantas or Jetstar about to open a base in the Middle East. The requirement for the right to live in Australia was just to keep the politicians happy that Australians would be employed...

The Green Goblin
5th Aug 2011, 05:51
If it were for Qantas, the bases would not be for the eastern capitals. It would be for Port Moresby, Manilla or Baghdad :p

Al E. Vator
5th Aug 2011, 05:59
Not Qatar, Qantas or Jetstar.

China Southern.

Ad in next Fridays Australian.

The Green Goblin
5th Aug 2011, 06:04
The plot thickens.

Looks like someone is not to happy about someone setting up shop in their patch hey!

Hell, I'd work for CS and stay home out of principle than be forced into an overseas based position with my Australian employer.

Hopefully this is the turkey slap in the face that AJ needs. He'll soon realize that he has been fighting overseas while his homeland is about to be invaded.

breakfastburrito
5th Aug 2011, 06:22
this is the turkey slap in the face that AJ needs
Unfortunate choice of "punishments" there Green Goblin.

The Green Goblin
5th Aug 2011, 06:25
Quote:
this is the turkey slap in the face that AJ needs
Unfortunate choice of "punishments" there Green Goblin.

Worried he might ask for seconds? ;)

Come in spinner
5th Aug 2011, 06:27
Al

This is a RUMOUR network, one should let it run just a little bit further who knows where it would end.:E

The Green Goblin
5th Aug 2011, 06:32
Personally my money is on Qatar, with Emirates sniffing roo blood and following shortly after :ok:

Mr Leslie Chow
5th Aug 2011, 06:56
Onya Burrito - spoken like mr burgundy himself

I think the gates would open if it was Qatar and EK that offered aussie bases.

Harry Cooper
5th Aug 2011, 07:55
Its Air China not China Southern. Found this;

Pilot Job :: A330 Captains - Air China (http://www.avianation.com/aviation_jobs/jobDetail_nm.cfm?jobID=10340549608&tparm=0)

PoppaJo
5th Aug 2011, 07:58
Air China affirm, they already have crews in Oz. Why would Qatar want 330 rated crew when they are 77W into Australia and only fly a few times a week to Melbourne???

Comes at a perfect time for alot of pissed Tiger pilots, the majority are 330 rated.

Metro man
5th Aug 2011, 08:25
Looks like QATAR to me from one of the names involved. Note the tour pattern of 6/3 or 4/2. Pilots would not need to be B777 rated if they simply passenger backwards and fowards, just like Air Niugini having DHC8 pilots based in Cairns and paxing to work on the F100.

QATAR have difficulty in recruiting and retaining staff, along with major expansion plans. Looks like a sensible solution to the problem. It would be nice to know the terms and conditions, middle east salary tax paid and living at home could be quite appealing. Cathay and Emirates may now need to do something similar.

volare_737
5th Aug 2011, 08:40
Don’t start dreaming about the Tax – if you live in Australia you pay full Australian Taxes. :=

falconeasydriver
5th Aug 2011, 08:47
I can't see EK wanting to do this, unless they find it affects the manning levels.
Lots of rumours over the years, nothing in reality however.
Wouldn't be hard to do IMHO, just a little bit of creative thinking in the rostering department, but then that flies in the face of anything that ever happens in the sandpit.
Guys can and do commute from the US, UK, EU and even Perth I believe, but much to the consternation of those who like to keep the troops close at hand.

oicur12.again
5th Aug 2011, 08:54
Most probably China Southern.

Volare 737. Re tax. Correct, except if this gig is similar to the CA gig then your oz tax will be covered by the employer.

The Green Goblin
5th Aug 2011, 09:00
By the name Peter Cosford, I'd say it's certainly Qatar.

Bring it on!

P.S with:

80 Airbus A350s (including options)
60 Boeing 787s (including options)
29 Boeing 777s (including freighters and options)
8 Airbus A321 (including 2 options)
5 Airbus A380-800s

on order, they have got to park them all somewhere! (especially the surplus 29 A330s once A350s start arriving)

Al E. Vator
5th Aug 2011, 09:23
Its not Qatar, or Jetstar.

Crikey, things do get out of hand!

It's not Air China, they already have crews based in Australia.

Its China Southern. Ad to go in next weeks Australian.

Although rumour has it that it may be Aeroflot.........

Jet Man
5th Aug 2011, 09:24
The ad says NEW pilot bases. Don't Air China and China Southern already base A330 pilots in Australia on contracts similar to this?

Capt Kremin
5th Aug 2011, 09:47
What Al said. It is China Southern.

MonsterC01
5th Aug 2011, 12:33
You can forget your pie in the sky dreaming of a middle eastern carrier basing pilots in Australia.........EVER!

They'd just about rather close the airline down than loosen the rains of control they have over the pilots while they live and work in their countries. They want you there with your families, living by their rules, spending your pay in their economies.

Senior pilots in Emirates have been pushing for overseas bases for pilots for the last 20+ years with doughnut to show for the effort:ugh:. To spite the fact that they've demonstrated it would actually be cheapper for the airline!:eek:

Besides, could you imagine the riot you'd start in Dubai and Qatar if you offered not only DEC to new hires, BUT based in Australia. They'd make the pro democracy riots in Egypt at the start of the year look like a lazy Sunday BBQ with one or two mates over.

It's a Chinese carrier. My bet is China Southern. Or Hanan Airlines as a dark horse.

The Monster.:E

sleeve of wizard
5th Aug 2011, 13:07
It's China Southern:{

donpizmeov
5th Aug 2011, 22:51
Not that I would be looking, but aren't most Chinese contracts only for 2yrs?

The Don

ishi59
6th Aug 2011, 01:48
Australia based but 6 on 3 off or 4 on 2 off.

Seems like the deal will be 6 weeks away from Aus, then 3 weeks off at home.

Not really a basing then is it??

More of a commute job.

Toruk Macto
6th Aug 2011, 02:02
Best of both worlds . Work in China and pay Australian taxes. Were do I sign.

EK_Bus Driver
6th Aug 2011, 05:48
It IS CHINA SOUTHERN - Al E Vator is 100% correct!

I have just applied to them... Based SYD, MEL... BNE to follow.

Very good T & C's!

Good luck to all.

Dixons Cider
6th Aug 2011, 06:45
Australia based but 6 on 3 off or 4 on 2 off.

Seems like the deal will be 6 weeks away from Aus, then 3 weeks off at home.

Not really a basing then is it??

More of a commute job.

Exactly.
I don't get it either?

Gnadenburg
6th Aug 2011, 06:49
Very good T & C's!

I doubt it.

galdian
6th Aug 2011, 07:37
As already pointed out a 6/3 or 4/2 pattern by no stretch of any imagination is a basing - outright commute.

And..."based" in Oz but paid in US$$$$??

And..."tax paid", yeah maybe the applicable tax rate in China at best if you're lucky IMHO...and I believe there's a fair difference in tax rates between Oz and China.
Surprisingly the higher tax rate will not be in China!

For anyone contemplating this (when the real contracts/T&C's finally hit the table) starting from a position of cynicism and distrust may not be a bad thing.

Toruk Macto
6th Aug 2011, 08:03
Better than Air China's is the word.

hongkongfooey
6th Aug 2011, 10:38
I would advise anyone to think twice before leaving a good job to work for a Chinese operator, Oz base or not. I know the Air China contract has been " massaged ", after being signed, and as a gweilo you have absolutely zero rights. ( no, you won't be subject to Oz IR and even if u were, the Chinese would ignore it ).
Also if there is any downturn you will find yourself unemployed quicker than u can say " I'll have the dim sum ".
Then there's the little annoying things like, smoking in the flight deck, all the chatter in the FD being in Mandarin, etc.
Enjoy :ok:

woodja51
6th Aug 2011, 10:55
Job is China Southern, A330 bases SYD and MEL, likely to be BNE later on.

Also likely to be looking for same for 777 guys later some time apparently according to PARC girl Georgina.

Around 16500 per month - not sure if AUD or USD and 3 years contract I think?

Not sure about the tax but send it to your offshore account, income split salary sacrifice etc it or send via a company might be a way to reduce the tax slightly?

Also , I was told that the guys can write down around 240 per day when out of the country based on the public service per diems... not a tax expert so take all I say with grain of salt...

Also agree with the comments about flight deck culture... and it does seem more of a commuting than basing contract... but hey, who knows ..

WJA

oicur12.again
7th Aug 2011, 04:11
As stated before.

If it is similar to the CA gig - and I have no doubt it is in this regard - the company will be covering Chinese tax obligations, which keep the ATO happy.

The "on" time will consist almost entirely of shuttling between ZGGG and your allocated base so you will not be away from home for 4-6 weeks.

"...and as a gweilo you have absolutely zero rights"

Actually, you have many rights as guaranteed by labor law in the country in which the contract has been written, probably Isle of Man. Just because many pilots are too soft to actually stand up for themselves does not mean they are slave laborers.

Home Page - Isle of Man Public Services - (http://www.gov.im/)

Imagine what you guys could achieve if you spent as much time researching as you do denigrating.

airdualbleedfault
7th Aug 2011, 05:30
Oicur, just curious how many mainland china operators you have worked for? do a little research yourself, it does not matter if the contract company you work for is on the moon, you will be at the mercy of the Chinese. Do you really expect people to believe that if there are any contract issues, someone like Parc is going to go into bat for you, against their client, who is over the other side of the world ?? Like I said, follow your lead and do a little research.
Check out the ratio of happy to unhappy campers on the Asia forum.

As for the 16500K, tax paid, good luck with that.

Off to denigrate another thread, ADB out.

Metro man
7th Aug 2011, 05:42
the company will be covering Chinese tax obligations, which keep the ATO happy.

Not necessarily, if you are an Australian resident then the ATO may give you a credit for the Chinese tax paid and then hit you for the difference between that and Australian tax. Get a good accountant to look into it before you sign up.

Also read some of the threads on working in China, seems to be the case that your Chinese licence is "owned" by the airline you work for and you may find it impossible to change employers later on without a release letter.

oicur12.again
7th Aug 2011, 05:58
“Do you really expect people to believe that if there are any contract issues, someone like Parc is going to go into bat for you, against their client, who is over the other side of the world ??”

Yes, there have been several contractual issues that have been solved by PARC. They need the crew so it’s not in their interest to ignore the contractors as you are suggesting. Some issues remain outstanding but they do in all jobs. The turnover of crew at CA is lower than in some oz airlines for example.

“Like I said, follow your lead and do a little research.”

I don’t need to.

“tax paid, good luck with that.”

Luck plays no part in it. Its exactly how it works with CA crew based in oz. I have no interest in the Southern job but I would be surprised if the tax issue differs from CA.

Care to do a little more research my pedigree chum?

“….your Chinese licence is "owned" by the airline you work for and you may find it impossible to change employers later on without a release letter.”

This is not impossible; several pilots have done it before.

airdualbleedfault
7th Aug 2011, 06:05
Nice misquoting Oicur, I said " 16500 tax paid etc " it will be 16500 before tax and if you live in Oz that will be circa 11500 after tax, regardless of how many days you are away.
I have worked for 2 mainland operators and they were both :mad:s, but I guess if you were unemployed anything would look good.

Metro man
7th Aug 2011, 11:46
These threads would be worth a look for anyone considering a move.

http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/348697-if-you-want-work-china.html

http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/441369-what-know-china.html

Be careful of grabbing the first job on offer without doing your research on the company as moving may be very difficult if you find you don't like where you are based or have no chance of fleet progression. That small airline you joined just to get your foot in the door have a pretty strong hold on your ATPL and may make things difficult and expensive when you want to move on.

That said, China Southern would be well up on my list and worth long term consideration.

oicur12.again
7th Aug 2011, 16:58
"it will be 16500 before tax and if you live in Oz that will be circa 11500 after tax"

Again, if the contract is the same as CA in regard to tax, then you are incorrect.

Your suggested numbers would indicate a take home pay at Southern LOWER than CA.

The last thing these 330 operators in China are going to do is offer less.

But you appear to be an expert.

AnQrKa
8th Aug 2011, 00:45
There are about 10 ex KA guys in CA that appear to have stayed. In fact I think about half have re signed a second contract.

So it cant be all that bad.