PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Engineering Careers UK - Getting started?

Fake Sealion
4th Aug 2011, 16:05
My son is interested in a career as an aircraft engineer after his A levels in 2012. We have researched the pathways which we believe are available leading to A and B Licence Module passes, but would like some thoughts from those who are in the industry. We have spoken to Kingston but would like some further clarification if possible

A few questions....

The Kingston approved route via the 2 yr foundation degree. Does this actually confer the graduate with all the necessary EASA B licence modules prior to then taking 2 yrs on job training.

As the Kingston foundation degree will cost £12,000 for the 2012 entry, how does this compare with the fees for studying for the B licence modules at another 147 College NOT affiliated to Kingston Uni? ie AST. Are these courses also typically 2 years in length?

Generally speaking,what level of formal qualification do the various apprenticeships on offer from BA, Virgin, Monarch etc award or does that depend on the abilities/motivation of the apprentice once in post ie do many apprentices become PART 66 B1/2 Engineers?

Thanks in advance.......Its quite a complex picture:confused: and I am sure I will be back for more info.

itsresidualmate
5th Aug 2011, 09:17
Hi, what I can tell you is that as far as commercial aviation maintenance is concerned, an EASA 'B' licence is the be all and end all. A B1 (mechanical) licence is the most important, B2 is nice to have. A degree will get you some jobs in tech services (office engineers) but a B1 licence holder can do any job within an airline that a degree holder can do, but it doesn't work in reverse; a degree holder can't do the same jobs a B licence holder can do. In my view, an 'A' licence isn't worth doing.

Have you looked at LRTT(Lufthansa training) at Kemble? You can Google them.

I believe Kingston does give you a B licence with the degree.

You'll also get more info at airmech.co.uk