PDA

View Full Version : Me number plates have been nicked.

overun
3rd Aug 2011, 22:46
Twenty quid to replace but l feel angry, no other damage to the car so angry seems an over reaction but l do.
Only noticed when seeing a friend to her car when she noticed mine.
l should get out more l suppose.

McGoonagall
3rd Aug 2011, 22:52
Now the fun could start. The brother-in-law had his nicked/cloned years ago, he was driving a white Sierra XR4. Couple of weeks later fixed penalty notices were flying through his door for speeding. The courts were reluctant to believe him and only accepted that he was not driving and it was not his car when he proved he was driving his car in France while offences were still being committed.

Seems trivial but report it to the Bill, may save problems.

G-CPTN
3rd Aug 2011, 22:53
Expect to get a call from the Old Bill after the thieves have used your number plates (on a similar car) to carry out some (more) nefarious act.

From your location you are unlikely to get requests for London Congestion charges - but you never know!

Parapunter
3rd Aug 2011, 22:54
Yeah, the last thing you want is the armed squad at the door, after 'your' car has been used in a bank robbery.:eek:

waveskimmer
3rd Aug 2011, 22:54
Foreigners,no doubt about it

overun
3rd Aug 2011, 23:15
Working on the basis that somebody may have a problem with me - plainly highly unlikely :\ - l did check the local waste bins but the plates have definitely gone.
The cops have been good, a crime number issued before any nefarious act recorded.
Much ado about nothing it seems, the bast***s.

unclenelli
3rd Aug 2011, 23:19
I agree with the posts above.
Your plates WILL be used in the perpetuation of crime.
Notify the Plods immediately (including any unique-vehicle identifying features) and spend some more and get shatter-plates. These cannot be ripped off your car (most modern are self-adhesive) without shattering into 1M pieces.
Even though you've already spent 20+, I'd also inform DLVA & HMCR including your address & forecast 1yr movements. This way, you should be able to prevent your original plates being used/exported in a location to which you are not local. Most will offer (at additional charge) your name/reg/postcode in micro writing underneath the reg on the plate.

DVLA may be able to supply you with an alternative plate (same year of reg/loc) If you have to re-registrate, inform insurance and tax - time it right to avoid paying for a month twice.
Invest (most insurance companies offer it free/cheap) in class etching on windows/headlamps and inform the Plods of this.

A few friends have overcome cloning, but it has taken time & effort to do so.

jimtherev
3rd Aug 2011, 23:20
Expect to get a call from the Old Bill after the thieves have used your number plates (on a similar car) to carry out some (more) nefarious act.

Two of my old ducks (aged 79 & 81) had a visit from two detectives & two Transits full of Special Patrol Group when 'their' car had been used in an armed robbery in Hammersmith Broadway. Fortunately they had an alibi which Old Bill eventually admitted genuine.

But car type colour and year were identical on the cloned car... the only difference eventually noted from CCTV pics was a religious sticker on the back window of my friends' car.

They dined out on this story for weeks.

G-CPTN
3rd Aug 2011, 23:28
There are plenty of places that will manufacture duplicate licence plates, though they are supposed to require sight of the original V5 registration document.

A smart criminal will choose a number from an identical vehicle, although not necessarily if the need is urgent.

HowlingMad Murdock
3rd Aug 2011, 23:34
Overun, sorry to hear about your 'nicked' plates - what a hassle!

overun
3rd Aug 2011, 23:43
l`m getting scared now, they were taken sometime between 1920 and 2150 bst today, Aug 3rd, from an off road covered parking space, i.e. not in public sight, but the 20 year old classic car has been for sale on the internet for over a week now, and ....... l didn`t think to hide it`s reg !

The ones who phoned about the car were given the postcode to visit.
l`m starting to think that l shouldn`t be let out alone, and at my age !
Oh bugger.

Windy Militant
3rd Aug 2011, 23:48
Another use is drive away fuel thefts, more garages these days have number plate recognition. The miscreants do a blitz of filling stations on the dodgy plates and bin them before the garages can flag them up on the ANPR system.
Wasn't there a case of dodging the congestion charge using the registration of a vintage car that was on display in a west country motor museum which hadn't been out on the road for about forty years!

Loose rivets
3rd Aug 2011, 23:49
Quiet road in a snooty town, caught kid - nearly 6' tall - removing my front number plate. I bellowed at him to COME HERE!!! He said no.

I know he was from the cricket club and that he was then a third of my age. I still nearly caught the little bastard. Good job I didn't. When I realize he was gaining ground, I hurled my pint glass at him. It hit him on the back of the head and fell to the footpath. For some unknown reason it didn't break. Still have it.

Not funny really. I was on standby for a mail flight out of STN. Penalty for lateness was 2,000 a MINUTE. Try telling plod you need to carry on with no plate.

What's more, one one of their marquee and beer nights, loads of cars get damaged. I had my second (of 3) jumped on. They did my neighbor's at the same time without touching the ground. Norwich Union agreed to pay on a protected policy, and I did quite well out of it. I also worked with their 'Recovery' department to make the snooty bastard club pay. They wouldn't, despite their secretary going around the neighborhood putting folk's wipers back on where he could. They knew, but just hadn't got the moral character to pay up.

racedo
3rd Aug 2011, 23:52
Get the plates changed and let the police record the Reg as a "stop on site" suggesting could be used in terrorism etc etc.

Any time car comes close to a Traffic car or camera's including Congestion charge it flags immediately.

Happened to a mate in South London who figured ongestion charge hits so he changed the number plate straight away.
Cop came 3 weeks later and told him the story that 2 guys using his license plates late at night got flagged going through Brixton and cops viewed them as potential terrorists. As cops doing an Operation Trident operation everybody got involved and they did one of those aggressive stops with cars and guns everywhere, was a bilking scam but the 2 guys needed underwear.

G-CPTN
4th Aug 2011, 00:01
We are talking about darkest north Scotland, I believe, where the frequency of ANPR cameras is probably sparse compared with darn sarf . . .

The connection between the proposed sale and the theft of the plates may be significant, though if the vehicle is 'special' (ie not current), the target might be a similar classic that has been stolen and is in need of an identity?

overun
4th Aug 2011, 00:14
A couple of posts on here seem to come from people who have experience of this lark with advice on direct action to take now.
Should l contact DVLA ?
Thanks to all for support as well, especially Loose Rivets who calmly described giving chase to a miscreant one third of his age whilst still carrying his pint.
My jaw dropped at that, now that is the bulldog spirit in action !

Lon More
4th Aug 2011, 00:40
Waveskimmer wrote Foreigners,no doubt about it
Yeah, bloody English probably!

Tell the Bill; might also be worth informing your insurance for when the claims start coming in.

G-CPTN
4th Aug 2011, 00:43
The response from DVLA might be uncertain - probably not fast and maybe complex.

You have already contacted the Police, so you have an alibi for when the events start to happen.

That should be enough IMO . . .

(if you are, in fact, located in Aberdeen as your description suggests)

Advice from the AA:- Car Security : theft of number plates - The AA (http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/security/number_plates.html)

Gulfstreamaviator
4th Aug 2011, 07:21
Not being in UK, but I understand that there is now a secure method of production of number plates.

The registration document needs to be produced.

So if the VIN number was also printed on the plate, the plate and vehicle would be tied.

Over here,when you sell a vehicle, the plate is removed, nd desrtoyed (as far as I can tell), paper chain continues but the plate chain stops.

But the VIN number on my car is different to that on the paperwork, and when search of the manufactures data base, my car does not exist..... what to do..

Only my Fils worth.

glf

spInY nORmAn
4th Aug 2011, 07:53
Now these are collectible (as I found out the hard way).

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4125/4952596582_c18c3d2fdc_z.jpg

(Polar bear in case you're wondering.)

mixture
4th Aug 2011, 08:03
So if the VIN number was also printed on the plate, the plate and vehicle would be tied.

A pointless activity if I may say so.

I'm sure the back-street plate printers can print whatever they want on to plates...so you're adding little to security.

stuckgear
4th Aug 2011, 08:14
overrun,

if you are selling the car it may not be worth the bother, but a way to stop any future aggro for yourself is to purchase from the DVLA one of their cherished registrations, which i have seen start at 99 quid (and 146 inc vat and transfer fee) for the less interesting letter/number combinations and once that is registered to the car, then not future problems should exist.

CharlieOneSix
4th Aug 2011, 08:50
Just a thought - did your numberplates have the blue GB/Euro stars panel on the lefthand side - or perhaps the Saltire? If so, suggest your order plain replacement plates without these (or with them if you didn't have them on the original plates) so that at least when the scrotes trigger a speed camera the photographic evidence will show that the plates are on the cloned car and not the genuine one. Same for photographic evidence from filling stations re fuel thefts or any other crime involving CCTV evidence.

stuckgear
4th Aug 2011, 09:11
charlieonesix, thats a good thought.

Skypilot
4th Aug 2011, 09:15
Mine were nicked too a year or so ago - from a private driveway at the back of our house in a quiet Hampshire village. I can only assume that they knew exactly what they were looking for, as the other car on the same driveway was left untouched.

I told the Police, as I thought that it was important that they knew ahead of time about the possibility of the plates bring used in criminal activity. They registered the crime but didn't do much more than that, saying - not unreasonably - that the chance of them getting any forensic evidence was too slim for it to be worthwhile involving SOC.

Since then - nothing. I've not been pulled in the car with the replacement plates and I've heard nothing at all about crimes committed in a 'cloned' vehicle.

hellsbrink
4th Aug 2011, 16:58
Since then - nothing. I've not been pulled in the car with the replacement plates and I've heard nothing at all about crimes committed in a 'cloned' vehicle.

That's because the "crime" being committed is that of driving without tax, insurance, mot and/or licence in the same colour/model of car as yours. Any time the "clone" goes through an ANPR check it gets flagged as your car with insurance, tax, etc, so the scrotes are sitting pretty until they have an accident or get flagged for any other reason. So if they are careful there is no reason for Plod to pull them over so no chance of their little scam being rumbled.

overun
4th Aug 2011, 18:25
Charlie One Six, a very good thought. The plates were plain, l`ll go for the euro stars jobbies.

mixture
4th Aug 2011, 19:09
Charlie One Six, a very good thought. The plates were plain, l`ll go for the euro stars jobbies.

If you happen to do the occasional one-man invasion of the EU mainland, going for the "euro stars jobbies" provides you with a win-win situation in that you are legally compliant without having to display a tacky magnetic GB oval.
(Just don't forget to keep a high-vis vest in the passenger compartment too !)

OFSO
4th Aug 2011, 19:34
Just don't forget to keep a high-vis vest in the passenger compartment too

In fact, one per person if you are visiting Spain plus TWO breakdown triangles and a box of spare lightbulbs (maybe)....

mixture
4th Aug 2011, 21:49
If you happen to do the occasional one-man invasion

so there..... :p

4th Aug 2011, 22:44
Not being in UK, but I understand that there is now a secure method of production of number plates.

The registration document needs to be produced.

But this requirement is so easy to bypass it's laughable.
There are dozens of sellers on ebay who will make a set of plates for about 10 and don't need to see the V5 before doing so.
Some of them state that theys are not for road use and are simply "show plates", but many don't even bother with this disclaimer.

Avionyx
5th Aug 2011, 08:43
My mum had her plates not nicked, but cloned, a few years ago. She was giving me a lift back from EGKA one day and sat in traffic we saw an almost identical car to hers with the exact same registration plate.

Turns out it was some guy who spent all his cash on the car and couldn't afford the insurance etc so simply had some plates made up of the next car along he saw that was the same.

Got his car crushed in the end IIRC.

UniFoxOs
5th Aug 2011, 09:57
The plates were plain, l`ll go for the euro stars jobbies.

But you then lose your "Get out of jail free" card if YOU go through a speed camera.

I'd keep to the identical ones .. "It wasn't me, officer, it must have been the scrotes who nicked my plates the other week"

UFO

crippen
5th Aug 2011, 11:06
There was a 'cloning' in our town recently.The lads cloned a C.I.D. car from the next force north. Lasted ages before they were caught.Like the style.:D

Windy Militant
5th Aug 2011, 11:06

But you then lose your "Get out of jail free" card if YOU go through a speed camera.

Reminds me of a mate who worked for a well known motorcycle shop locally.
He was called to the Police station to identify the rider of one of their demo bikes who'd been caught on camera.
The Copper says " it should be easy enough to identify him he's got a Taz of Tasmania on the back of his helmet, .....just like that one."
As he pointed to the TAZ on my mates helmet :uhoh:

OFSO
5th Aug 2011, 11:28
For about three years we received regular parking fines from a city south of Madrid where we had never been, neither with or without a car. (It's like eight hours drive away and inland). The numberplates were those on my wife's Fiesta but sometimes the PCN described the car as a "Fiat" and sometimes a "Ford".

I assumed our plates had been cloned.

I wrote to the Town Hall pointing out the problem, even sent proof of where I was (here) when the penalty notice was issued, but never had a reply, just more fines. You can happily ignore fines issued by a municipality in Spain* provided you never go there (or have never been there) so I did, they pasted my name in the weekly "Debtors Chronical" which of course made no matter, and now it's all water under the bridge.

*Fines issued by federal authorities are of course a different matter.

ShyTorque
5th Aug 2011, 16:38
I used to wonder why some Hong Kong taxi drivers on the rank at Kai Tak airport would refuse to take a fare "Hong Kong side".

I was later advised by someone who had a taxi licence (hugely expensive to buy, issued for only one car) that: "Only one licence, but two taxi" was the reason.

One would operate north of the harbour in Kowloon and the cloned one stuck to the south on Hong Kong Island, in case they both ended up in a traffic jam side by side.

Lon More
5th Aug 2011, 16:44
A couple here had two identical Ford Fiestas, one his one hers. Same colour, same registration but only one insurance and one tax paid. This worked OK for years, even when the registrations were checked by a camera car as long as they were parked in different parts of their appartment car park. One day they ended up parked side by side .....end of fiddle.

A much younger LM admits to having done something similar with a motor bike. The cops arrived at my parents' house at Oh God hundred demanding to see my bike. I was happy to show them it , in pieces in the garage where all the numbers checked out. The clone was under a sheet at the bottom of the garden. I got a stiff talking to, as they knew I'd somehow pulled a fast one. I got a fright and did not do it again

G-CPTN
5th Aug 2011, 18:31
Way back in the early 1960s, a racing driver acquaintance had two identical Minis that had identical registration numbers.