PDA

View Full Version : BBC News

vulcanised
3rd Aug 2011, 17:57
Once again I am left wondering who decides their priorities, and why.

Today's R4 Five O'clock News (their flagship?) started with the news of Mubarak's trial and a passing mention of the biggest cocaine haul in the UK and the arrest of a Chief Constable and his Deputy.

Now I don't dispute the Mubarak trial is significant, but how significant to us? Over a 20 minute lead item we had protestors screaming in a foreign language and a totally uninteresting description of what sounded like a piece of theatre being played out.

When they got round to the cocaine story, we got 2-3 minutes of that, then about the same for the police arrests. In more depth and earlier would have been better for the last two reports.

tony draper
3rd Aug 2011, 18:06
Wondered that meself but anything to fill in their 24 hour news.
Summat else, why do they insist in a live hesitant stuttering monosylabic direct interpretation of the ongoing dialog at events like this? surely with todays technology they could have a few minutes delay and put in typed subtitles anything is better than listening to a bloody droning interpreter.
:)

Parapunter
3rd Aug 2011, 18:14
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/4905411200_8008a8097f.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sadsilver/4905411200/)
hobby horse (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sadsilver/4905411200/) by mr. huckleberry & the milosaur (http://www.flickr.com/people/sadsilver/), on Flickr

Ancient Observer
3rd Aug 2011, 18:23
They are a bunch of trots and pinkoes, (Eye).

I imagine that their editorial committee of 15 editors and 75 Equality and H & S advisors voted on what they would find amusing to talk to their partners about when they got back to Islington/Notting Hill.
They need a meeting of 90 people to take decisions like that.

sitigeltfel
3rd Aug 2011, 18:57
Apart from disasters and "issues" close to its heart, the BBC no longer does news. It is driven by its own agenda and there are many far better channels and sites if you want to know what is happening in the world. During the latest round of journalist strikes, coverage appeared to be far superior to that when the sofa jockeys were spouting their opinions.

Parapunter
3rd Aug 2011, 18:58
Ha ha! That, Stilegitgetlitis is hilarious. Unintentionally hilarious I suspect, but hilarious all the same.:ok:

simon brown
3rd Aug 2011, 19:00
Im surprised they didnt do a piece on a drug rehab lesbian unidexter entering the world pogo stick championships for some balance.

..or the lentil eating sandal wearing beardie who has decided to cycle his Brompton from London to Bejing to raise awareness for cancerous donkeys suffering in Outer Mongolia

..and finally, Ukrane has declared war on the UK , but first the Weather....

..showing a map of the UK with places like Nempnet Thrubwell, Littleton St Giles, Great Spiffing, Lower Sawdlincote, Hardingley-on -Stiffidge and Whiffle-on-sea..just for a bit of inclusivity

The deaf/signing person in the corner of the screen is then replaced my the dyslexic typist who does the sub titles..

thor wal be thidurstims speroading from the soth wist tonite with mire prolongidi periods of rain tonigte

tony draper
3rd Aug 2011, 19:05
I have been reduced to watching Russia Today for me world news, hope none of my Kamerads find out.
:rolleyes:
Only two men on the BBC are worth their salt, and they are both called Jeremy
:E

Danscowpie
3rd Aug 2011, 20:42
Yesterday during the NUJ strike at Auntie, R5's Drive programme was presented mostly by John Inverdale and Declan Currrie. As much as I enjoy listening to Peter Allen and respect his consumate knowledge and broadcasting skills, the only two presenters to come close to matching him are the aforementioned gentlemen and they did an absolutely stonking job.
To be fair to R4, they did go into in depth coverage of both the cocaine haul and the naughty activities of the Big Cheese(s) at Clevelend Police later on this evening.
As for the lead story, perhaps they thought that actually bring to trial the corrupt leader of a corrupt government for summarily despatching its own citizens just might ring true to an UK audience .....

G-CPTN
3rd Aug 2011, 20:50
I too enjoyed John Inverdale's presentation of yesterdays' Drive programme.

bnt
3rd Aug 2011, 23:07
They've also come in for criticism over their science reporting (http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/our_work/other/science_impartiality.shtml): the polite term used is "false equivalence". In plain BBC English: when there's a story about a scientific issue, it's not "balanced reporting" to give equal time to some anti-science nutter. A see-saw with a tonne of silver on one end and a tonne of horse manure on the other end might be "balanced", but which would you rather have in your safe? :rolleyes:

mustpost
3rd Aug 2011, 23:36
Much as some here would decry the BBC staff decision (for whatever reason) to withdraw their labour , the whole concept of broadcasting is a team effort. However talented Inverdale at al appeared to others, in the future they are likely to attract (at the very least) a degree of antipathy from their colleagues ...
If they are such a hot ticket, why do they not present the pogramme as full time wage slaves?

Simples...

reynoldsno1
4th Aug 2011, 05:03
watching Russia Today

I started doing that in Thailand - makes a change... I also quite enjoy Al Jazeera, though the picture quality is pretty awful. The one programme put out by BBC World News I do enjoy is Dateline London, where they get four journalist from around the world to discuss 2 or 3 topics ...

Slasher
4th Aug 2011, 05:33
I have been reduced to watching Russia Today for me world news....

Actually Drapes I watch it a lot, and I never miss Max Keiser.

PLovett
4th Aug 2011, 05:45
I have recently found the Al Jazeera English web site and it has been refreshing to get news and opinion from a fundamentally different viewpoint. If I can offer a simile, it the difference between describing an area as Western Asia rather than the Middle East. Their recent coverage of the massacre in Norway and how many in the western media had trouble referring to it as a terrorist outrage was particularly interesting.

Gulfstreamaviator
4th Aug 2011, 07:05
This is by far the best balanced news channel that covered the Arab Spring, and not biased....very open and honest coverage.

RT is a distant second, but still good.

glf

tony draper
4th Aug 2011, 07:13
According to the BBC news yesterday we in the UK have stockpiled 100 tons of Plutonium,we could flog that off to interested parties,one is quite sure a ounce or two of plutonium would keep a mobile phone ticking over for years.
Also we copped for 300 million quids worth of 90% pure Cocaine,bash that three to one with rat poison or baby powder or whatever it is they use and flog that as well,pay off a bit of this dept we have.
:rolleyes:

Firestorm
4th Aug 2011, 08:33
I think R4 has too much news time to fill so they fill it with codswhallop. If they had 30 minutes in the morning, 15 minutes at lunch time, and 2 30 minute slots in the early and late evening then it might focus them a bit. I agree that Russia today provides quite good balance and a different view to the BBC. And The Huffington Post UK is not a bad place to get a bit of online news. It would be nice to see full coverage of England Test Cricket on BBC television which could be used a s a device to reduce the amount of news time available.

Gulfstreamaviator
4th Aug 2011, 08:57
I agree that Cricket would be the perfect solution to BBC bias and lack of quality.

glf