PDA

View Full Version : Radio mp3 player suggestions

SpringHeeledJack
3rd Aug 2011, 14:17
One's trusty Roberts pocket radio is starting to play up after years of sterling service and I am contemplating purchasing a pocket mp3 player with radio built in. I can find a few, although none seem to offer AM/LW bands. Do any of the committee have some suggestions, especially from personal experience, of suitable devices ? Any pointers gratefully received. Ta!

SHJ

SpringHeeledJack
4th Aug 2011, 10:35
No-one ? Blimey, I would've thought that these things would be very prevalent, though maybe it's more for the yoof of today ;)

SHJ

green granite
4th Aug 2011, 10:49
My only comment is beware of all singing and dancing machines as they tend to do all functions in a mediocre way.

Ancient Observer
4th Aug 2011, 11:58
If I need the radio I tend to use my phone. £80 Samsung phone - much to clever for me, plus a mid-level Sennheiser set of headphones.

Phone contains up 16Gb of mp3 stuff, plus FM. No AM/LW.

I also have an ancient pocket radio, but quality is poor compared to the phone, and it is heavy by modern standards.

The way I keep up with techie stuff is thru the children, and they just do not buy pocket radios!!

SpringHeeledJack
4th Aug 2011, 15:23
The way I keep up with techie stuff is thru the children, and they just do not buy pocket radios!!

Ha ha! How true, how true.....My trusty pocket radio is indeed, when 'aht n abaht', a rare beast, all others have either an iPod or a phone. I suppose the other clients of said Roberts 994 are crusty old fellas sitting in the high seats at Lords or some such listening to the cricket commentary. I don't need anything too complicated, as these clever devices are always underused and as mentioned master of none. I'd be happy with a radio with an mp3 player that can be loaded by drag and drop...simples!
Perhaps wanting AM/LW as well is just too much to ask for.

SHJ

Saab Dastard
4th Aug 2011, 17:50
I've got a Samsung U5 MP3 / radio. Cheap & cheerful. I haven't used the radio (FM only) enough to give an opinion, but the MP3 bit is fine.

I ignored the built-in software and just dumped in a whole load of MP3s, which short-circuited a lot of crap.

SD

reynoldsno1
5th Aug 2011, 02:12
I'd go along with Mr.Saab - I have something similar. Bought mrsr1 a 'factory refurbished' Sony Walkman for half the price of a new one as she likes to watch music videos - works fine once I worked out that I should upload the videos in the PSP format ....