PDA

View Full Version : Roadside Airliner Belgium

SpringHeeledJack
2nd Aug 2011, 19:47
As I was flying over Belgium yesterday I could have sworn that I saw an aircraft sitting adjacent to a main road, possibly in the Ghent area. We were at approx 20,000ft at the time. If I don't need glasses, it looked like it was white, of a 707 size or bigger. I'm guessing that it might be a club/bar/restaurant and didn't seem to be anywhere near an airport. If any of the ppruners know of such an aircraft, i'd be happy to hear.

Double Hydco
2nd Aug 2011, 20:18
I think I remember once driving past a roadside Airbus A310, whilst travelling through Belgium? Sorry, I can't remember where it was, but I think it may have been a restaurant or bar?

Teaboy24
2nd Aug 2011, 20:27
Probably the A.310 near Charleroi. Registered 5N-AUG that used to be operated by Nigeria Airways, now a restaurant. Several photo's around on the net.

D120A
2nd Aug 2011, 20:28
I think it's the former Benin aircraft, Boeing 707 TY-BBW (a long time ago Pan Am's N758PA). It is now a cafe at Wetteren near Ghent, between a road and the river. If you put 'Kwatrechtsteenweg Wetteren' into Google Earth, you will see it, minus the wingtips.

Well spotted from 20,000 feet! We'll have you at RAF Medmenham with the stereo glasses and the Spitfire PR.IX product in no time.:ok:

SpringHeeledJack
2nd Aug 2011, 21:00
Thanks for the replies chaps, especially D120A :ok: After looking up the Google maps result, bingo, there it was! I saw it from perhaps 5miles to the north and noticed that it was obliquely parked to the road and that it didn't look right somehow, well the wingtips missing explained that :8

aviate1138
3rd Aug 2011, 06:15
SHJ

If you set up 'photos' you will see one taken from over the canal that shows the 707 still with its wingtips intact. Better a restaurant than scrap. Looks like the restaurant is down the tubes too……:(

radar0976
3rd Aug 2011, 07:12
Here it is --> Air Us Café, Rue Devillez, Belgium - Google Maps (http://bit.ly/qlXgXM)

Hotel Tango
6th Aug 2011, 15:47
Radar, that's the A310 near Charleroi. A long way from Ghent.