PDA

View Full Version : Replacing free Malwarebytes?

Cameronian
2nd Aug 2011, 10:52
I rather cheekily tried to hijack another thread a couple of weeks ago to air this issue but got my just desserts when everybody ignored me!

I have been using Malwarebytes free version as my on-demand malware cleaner for a couple of years. I have in the past been asked to register to be able to continue to use this version and I did so and was allowed to continue using it. However, about a month ago I received notice that my "trial period" was to end. The options offered did not include reinstatement of the free version - I had to pay or give it up.

Well, I did nothing.... After a couple of weeks the full version appeared almost unannounced on my computer but it turned out to be a "come-on" to get me to buy and now this trial is almost over too. It has given me the chance to decide that I don't like the full version because it requires more effort on my part to stop it blocking sites which I have used for years (no, not THAT sort of site!) than the free version required for me to run checks when I chose to.

So, I'd love to get the "on-demand" free version back but I don't see how to do that. I noticed that BOAC praised another anti-malware program called Norman and I used the other thread to ask about it, to no avail. May I ask again, is Norman known to any of you and is it as good as Malwarebytes?

Is there currently any other (preferably free) on-demand anti-malware cleaner which you can recommend as being up to the mark?

BOAC
2nd Aug 2011, 11:22
Haven't used it for a while but it WAS good last time.

Malware Cleaner | Norman — Proactive IT security (http://www.norman.com/downloads/malware_cleaner/en-uk)

What did you download? Malwarebytes still offering a free prog at Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO removes malware including viruses, spyware, worms and trojans, plus it protects your computer (http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free)

The Flying Pram
2nd Aug 2011, 13:57
I've used MBAM for several years on multiple computers, and never been asked to register or pay. I guess you must have installed a trial version of the full programme?

Uninstalling this from the control panel probably won't help, as there are often configuration files/folders left behind which will remember the old version.

Try "Revo Uninstaller" which, if you run it in the Advanced mode, will search for all the remnants, including registry entries. Be VERY careful to ensure that only the bolded ones are ticked before removing them! This should completely remove whatever version you currently have. Then making a fresh install of the version linked by BOAC should stop any prompts to register or pay. I have noticed that the latest version does try and encourage you to update, but doesn't force you - just be careful where you click!

There's a "portable" version of Revo, which doesn't need installing, and can be run from a pendrive or a folder anywhere on your PC:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/download/revouninstaller.zip Just unzip this download and click the .exe file inside. I've used this extensively and found it works well.

Cameronian
2nd Aug 2011, 15:56
Well, thank you both for your really quick replies BOAC and The Flying Pram! I've installed and run Revo which went really quickly and I've reinstalled the newest version of free Malwarebytes and it has just run with no issues.

Would that all life were so easy! Thank you.

BOAC
2nd Aug 2011, 16:35
Was it Mr A in the 'A-Team'? "Don't you just love it when a plan comes together":)

Cameronian
2nd Aug 2011, 17:23
Haha! I don't know but I am grateful. Some people rubbish PPRuNe - and there are some areas where, on occasion, some posters let their slips show - but, in so many ways it's a brilliant focus for knowledge, humour and goodwill.

The Flying Pram
2nd Aug 2011, 17:48
I learnt quite early on that "Uninstalling" a programme rarely does. In fact, IIRC, Firefox actually tells you that configuration files will be left behind unless you specifically ask it not to. Then you get things like antivirus programmes which really dig their tentacles into your operating system. Some of them offer specific removal tools, but I've successfully used Revo to get rid of Norton and Avast, and as you've found, it does what it says on the tin! I'm glad to have been of assistance.

TFP