PDA

View Full Version : Firefox versions........

TZ350
1st Aug 2011, 11:17
I'm about to upgrade to an Acer 5742Z ( Windows 7 Home Premium ) and will use Firefox as the browser. My old laptop has Firefox version 3.6.16 and I'm very comfortable with it. I see there are F'fox Versions 4 and 5 out but there seems to be some varied opinions as to their pluses and minuses. My gut feeling is to go with what I know ( as my IT knowledge is near zero..) as 3.16 is still available.

It also is one less " new " thing to have to deal with in the initial stages of familiarization.

Do any members have any experience or suggestions, re F'fox Versions ? Thanks.

vulcanised
1st Aug 2011, 11:32
I'm still on 3.6.16 (using it now) and not planning to change despite the popup nagging.

Bushfiva
1st Aug 2011, 11:33
It's just a browser. Firefox 3.anything is an antique.

mixture
1st Aug 2011, 13:17
I concurr with Bushfiva..... "it's just a browser" .... and there's not really any excuse of running FF 3.6 these days !

On a more important note, you should always be running the latest version of any browser (and plug-ins) due to vulnerability exploits against older version.

green granite
1st Aug 2011, 14:54
I'm currently running FF 6.0 beta, and it's fine. Very quick and appears perfectly stable and most of the important add-ons are compatible.

crewmeal
1st Aug 2011, 19:17
Except the later versions of FF aren't recognised by certain banks for online banking purposes. When I last looked FF 4. whatever didn't work with NatWest. 3.6.16 is fine for me thank you very much.

Saab Dastard
1st Aug 2011, 20:04
I've got 3 PCs running FF5 and one on FF6 - no problems.

SD

A A Gruntpuddock
1st Aug 2011, 20:28
I've got version 6 and it works with my bank.

After the last update I started getting hangups with the message "a script on this page is busy .." but I updated all my plug-ins and add-ins and no problem now.

Accidentally installed Chrome on a an old laptop whilst I was updating something there and must admit it looks faster then FF, at least on that out-dated specification.

vulcanised
1st Aug 2011, 21:34
And Iron is faster still than Chrome, without all the excess baggage.

Algy
2nd Aug 2011, 11:22
Google Gears (and therefore Gmail offline) does not work on latest versions of Firefox (5 or 6 I think) and there is no intention that it will. (Google decision not Mozilla.)

green granite
2nd Aug 2011, 11:40
My G-Mail works fine with FireFox 5 and 6, don't see the point of gears really.

mixture
2nd Aug 2011, 12:15
The latest Safari on Lion is quite nippy too..... :cool:

BombayDuck
2nd Aug 2011, 13:05
crewmeal - something wrong with your settings? NatWest works fine for me on both FF4 and FF5. I've sort of reluctantly come around to the latest FF versions, I still don't like the lack of status bar (and I don't want to add an add-on for it) and the UI still feels strange even a couple of months later.

Good performance, though, and can't remember if it's ever crashed on me.

crewmeal
2nd Aug 2011, 20:58
Bombay Duck & Saab Dastard Thanks for the tips. I've seen the error of my ways and upgraded. Now using FF 6.0 beta on my Macbook pro. I would use Safari more but it doesn't have a drop down address bar.

Algy
3rd Aug 2011, 08:39
Green Granite, Gmail works fine with FF 5 &6. But Gmail offline does not, which is well-documented. A key point of Gears is to provide offline Gmail and Google Reader, which is extremely useful when travelling, especially on aircraft.

Google has ended development of Gears in favour of an html5 "solution" which however does not actually exist yet. This is the sort of thing that means Google and the cloud in general is still far from being a serious alternative for business.

green granite
3rd Aug 2011, 11:25
Thanks for that info Algy, I have no need of it so I hadn't researched it. :(

It's typical, produce something useful and then drop the support for newer platforms. I suspect it might be an attempt to get people to migrate to google chrome so they can keep tabs on you.

TZ350
12th Aug 2011, 22:27
Many thanks to those who offered their advice and experiences.

Being an IT coward...... I went with the old 3.6.19 version, as I wanted to be able to use the Google Toolbar ( I like the " cut/paste " and " Translate " features ) that I had on the old laptop.

Now I find the current Google Toolbar doesn't support " cut and paste "...:ugh::ugh:

Bushfiva
13th Aug 2011, 03:27
Couldn't you just use ctrl-c and ctrl-v? Or right click on the button bar, customize, drag copy & paste buttons to the bar? I don't do Firefox 3.x but I don't imagine it's missing customizing features its competitors have. The Google toolbar copy & paste buttons aren't a magic Google thing, they're simply using existing features in your browser.

crewmeal
13th Aug 2011, 06:27
If you're using 6.0 version, remember it's still a beta format and there might be changes before the full version is released. The no doubt we'll have further versions coming out.

MidlandDeltic
16th Aug 2011, 12:45
I concurr with Bushfiva..... "it's just a browser" .... and there's not really any excuse of running FF 3.6 these days !

"These days"? I moved to 3.6.18 less than six months ago. The thinking of this post highlights all that is wrong with the IT world these days. Poorly developed, bug ridden software got out to market in order to appear the latest, then constant annoying upgrades to correct the resultant issues.

Google Gears (and therefore Gmail offline) does not work on latest versions of Firefox (5 or 6 I think) and there is no intention that it will. (Google decision not Mozilla.)

And as for this... I remember when every home computer on the market had a unique OS, and once you were locked in that was it. The world moved on, and now we are in position where the three main OSs can, with some tweaking, run anything. Google however want to move back the the bad old days (for the consumer, not the manufacturer). This has already started to happen in the mobile world (Flash on i-whatever), hence my loathing of "apps" and the thinking behind them.

Sorry for the slightly OT rant ;)

mixture
16th Aug 2011, 13:47
MidlandDeltic

The thinking of this post highlights all that is wrong with the IT world these days. Poorly developed, bug ridden software got out to market in order to appear the latest, then constant annoying upgrades to correct the resultant issues.

No need to preach to the converted, I could tell you many stories however it would probably be a fairly serious breach of the NDAs I've signed to do so. :cool:

The problem is that Firefox is a web browser. There is a continuous development of exploits against browsers. Failure to use the latest version makes you more vulnerable, particularly the average home user who has failed to get a grasp on even some of the most basic IT security concepts, for those sort of people, the layered security model is best so that hopefully they've correctly implemented at least some of the layers ! Hence the recommendation to keep the browser up to date !

TZ350
20th Aug 2011, 20:05
Quote :

Couldn't you just use ctrl-c and ctrl-v? Or right click on the button bar, customize, drag copy & paste buttons to the bar? I don't do Firefox 3.x but I don't imagine it's missing customizing features its competitors have. The Google toolbar copy & paste buttons aren't a magic Google thing, they're simply using existing features in your browser.

The Google toolbar " Cut / Paste " buttons were a one click operation, so quick, easy and simple ......................:sad:

So,if anyone can advise how to " find " them again ( or transfer from my old computer ? ) ...............many thanks !

Bushfiva
21st Aug 2011, 02:20
Maybe

right click on the button bar, customize, drag copy & paste buttons to the bar

would work

crewmeal
21st Aug 2011, 05:29
I'm using FF Aurora on my Macbook pro. It's stable and does the job I want it to in what seems a record time. There again I've put a clean install of Lion on it and guess that helps.

I would use Safari more if it had a drop down address bar,

TZ350
21st Aug 2011, 21:42
[Quote ]
Maybe

right click on the button bar, customize, drag copy & paste buttons to the bar

would work [ Quote ]

Many thanks indeed Bushfiva ! :ok:

I did a right click on edit, customise and dragged cut/paste to the bar. The button bar wouldn't bring up those customise options.

Much appreciated .

Gertrude the Wombat
21st Aug 2011, 22:13
If you wait a little while and the dafter firefox weenies have their way this problem will disappear ... because firefox won't have a version number any more.

It'll just say something like "this version was up to date when I checked at <timestamp>" or "this version is not up to date, downloading upgrade".

Try reporting bugs against a non-versioned piece of software, or looking up which version has such-and-such fixed in it, or ...

Life for the BOFH is much easier when software has a coherent series of version numbers (3.0, 3.1, 3.11, 4.0, 95, 98, Me, 2000, 2003, XP, 2008, 7, etc etc anyone?) and doesn't change its name every five minutes (what was Firefox called originally then?), and isn't updated more than once every couple of years (WTF is wrong with Office 2000?), and so on.

mixture
22nd Aug 2011, 05:55
Try reporting bugs against a non-versioned piece of software, or looking up which version has such-and-such fixed in it, or ...

Well said Gertrude.

That's one of many reasons Ubuntu.... their idiotic version naming.... I mean Natty Narwhal, Maverick Meerkat etc. ..... they think it looks cool, but I reckon it's just childish !

Having now upgraded to OS X Lion on my main computers, Safari has quickly become by browser of choice, the current version is so much better, quicker and more stable than Firefox.

Bushfiva
22nd Aug 2011, 06:46
Yes, "Leopard", "Snow Leopard" and "Lion" are much manlier.

mixture
22nd Aug 2011, 08:33
Bushfiva,

Hmm, I should have seen that one coming.

Although, in my defence, when filing bugs with Apple, I refer to it as 10.7, 10.6.

Similarly, if you go Apple Menu -> About this mac, you are shown the version number in numeric format (i.e. 10.7.1) . There is no reference to Lion.

So there.... :p

Bushfiva
22nd Aug 2011, 08:51
Aaaand you like Safari...

mixture
22nd Aug 2011, 09:32
As I said, Safari 5.1 is faster, more stable and so much better than the bug-ridden memory-leak known as Firefox.

But hey, you can't please everyone all of the time.

Loose rivets
22nd Aug 2011, 09:40
WTF, indeed.

Idly reading this thread and pressed Help. About Firefox. I'm current on 6 but it said - after running a check - you are currently on the release update channel. (their bold.)

Wassssattt all about? Can I not look in there anymore without getting updated? My last two updates were uninvited.

Oh, I did take on board, and value, the comment above about the need to update. Thanks for that.

mixture
22nd Aug 2011, 10:00
Loose rivets,

release: The release channel will provide stable release versions, including security updates (in contrast to beta, aurora, nightly which are all non-stable and should not be used by people who are not used to the "features" of beta software....:cool: )

Can I not look in there anymore without getting updated? My last two updates were uninvited.

At your own risk :

Stick "about:config" (without quotes) into your URL bar and hit return.
Play with the app.update.* options, I suspect app.update.auto to false is what you're after.

Bushfiva
22nd Aug 2011, 11:33
Mixture, just pointing out the browser is called "safari", and the versions of OS X are all African animals.

mixture
22nd Aug 2011, 11:38
Well all the browsers have stupid names apart from Internet Explorer which is the only one that gives you a clue of what it's purpose is in its names.

Safari, Firefox, Opera, iCab, Konqueror ..... they're all in the same name boat.....

But anyhow, yes, I know, looking back at it my argument wasn't perfect.... but I'll take a Mac over Ubuntu any day !

Load Toad
22nd Aug 2011, 12:07
I'm using FF6.0 now but with very few add ons. It is more stable than 5.0 but ho hum, I did like FF back in the beginning when it was so obviously faster than IE & I could add on a few apps which helped with work & such.

I use Chrome too now with no apps apart from add blocker - simply because it is fast.

I find FF has some issues with Hotmail, I find Chrome & FF have issues with images on some web sites.

The stupidest thing no matter which browser I use - just having one menu button in an unfamiliar place or a bookmark not in the same location just phuqs with my head the my minor OCD; I am a whining child sometimes.

vulcanised
22nd Aug 2011, 14:23
It was even faster when it was called Firebird.

crewmeal
27th Aug 2011, 06:11
For anyone interested in the latest version:

https://awesomeness.mozilla.org/pub/sf/FormLink?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DUQpglLjHJlTQTtQyTQ793QPHQzgtm6QGQ2QG zcXVXMtX%3DUQpglLjHJlTQTtQyTQ793QP1Qzgtm6QzgQaQaqG&_ei_=.

green granite
27th Aug 2011, 11:58
If any of you do download FireFox Aurora, whilst it appears to work ok, it is an Alpha release and may have bugs in it which could cause it to crash, don't use it for anything important. The good thing about it is seems fast and it imports all your current FF data but instals as a totally separate thing so you can still use your regular version as well.

Ancient Observer
27th Aug 2011, 12:29
Wow!
That, Mr GG was a big thought for me to-day. "Don't use it for anything important".
Hum.
I'll need an extra glass of something tonight to figure out what important might mean. I guess that would include banking. Only a very few of my e-mails are important, and I deal with them thru O. The others I access thru FF.
I'm stuck beyond that, which might be sad......ummm.

riverrock83
1st Sep 2011, 22:30
Firefox 3.6 is actually still supported with security fixes, etc but for how long no one knows (I don't think it has been decided yet). I use a couple of add-ons that have not been brought into the newest versions and I have found issues with the newer versions on certain websites which aren't in 3.6.
I am employed working on software which uses web browsers as a front end. The short release cycle is a real problem for my company - we now have a team pretty much dedicated to fixing issues that appear in each new browser version (be it Chrome or Firefox, IE or Safari). It means I have everything installed... As I've found out, you can install both an old version of firefox (3.6) and the newest versions side by side - so long as you only run one of them at a time... Now if only the same piece of software would work the same on every operating system (Safari for windows behaves completely differently from Safari for Mac).

mixture
2nd Sep 2011, 15:04
Firefox 3.6 is actually still supported with security fixes, etc

No need for an etc.

I think it's safe to say you should expect to receive no more than major security fixes from such an old version. The nature of software development is that new features and enhancements are done in the trunk and branched out for new releases, with very little to no development effort put into back-porting the enhancements new features to older versions.

Safari for windows behaves completely differently from Safari for Mac

Sure it will, but it's not Apple's fault that Windows is based on DOS and OS X is based on BSD. There's only so much the browser developers can do given completely different software stack and APIs. I bet all the browsers have their little Mac/Windows idiosyncrasies. At least Apple are making an effort to develop for Windows unlike Microsoft and Internet Exploder (not that you would want it on Mac, but some websites written by incompetent browser blind developers only support IE).

Saab Dastard
2nd Sep 2011, 21:32
Windows is based on DOS

False

OS X is based on BSD

True

mixture
3rd Sep 2011, 06:44
Well, whatever it's based on, my core point remains that they are chalk and cheese in terms of APIs etc.