View Full Version : Royal Turbine Duke

nomorecatering
30th Jul 2011, 12:48
Ive been looking at teh Royal Turbine Beech Duke. Its seems to have amazing performance, however it does seem a bit light on on range. Given that the total Hp has been increased significantly, there is no increase in the MTOW.

The fuel capacity is listed as 362 Us gal. Is there any space in the engine nacells for extra tankage?

PLovett
30th Jul 2011, 12:52
Don't think there was any increase in tank size so with the higher fuel burn the range was compromised compared to the original. Don't think there are any nacelle lockers either.

It is one hell of a sexy aircraft though and one of the few turboprop conversions that look good or better than the original piston model. :ok:

Speedbird48
30th Jul 2011, 14:12
nomorecatering,

The airplane has only the original fuel capacity and therefore you get to visit o lot of new places, but you get there very quick. Looks great, goes well and could be a winner if only there was a weight increase and/or extra fuel capacity available.

The maintenance costs of the old engines were a killer so at least the old airplane got a new lease in life. A lot of them were confined to the dusty end of the ramp or in the back of hangars.

Watched a guy try to start one of the piston ones, that was hot, at the fuel pump in St. Augustine, FL. That starter was the best in the business!!! Probably not for much longer??

Speedbird48

340drvr
30th Jul 2011, 15:15
Looks like the conversion upgrades the fuel capacity from the stock 232 gal to 262 gal., and without any increase in max gross wgt.
I'm currently employed flying 2 different B60's, stock piston engines, it's a great airplane, and as much as I'd love to have turbines, for my money (well, my boss's money!), I'd go for a King Air. Conversion cost at around $800,000US, plus bring your own Duke, for my $1.2M US, I'd look for a King Air. Find a Blackhawk conversion, and you're only giving up maybe 20 knots top speed, but on the other hand, gaining lots of cabin room and lots of useful load.
Sure, the Duke is a great airplane, looks good, fast, etc., but, just my opinion, not worth the price for the conversion.