PDA

View Full Version : Chief Pilot Salary?

Two_dogs
30th Jul 2011, 07:07
I have the opportunity to interview for a Chief Pilot position and have been trying to do some research into current salaries and have hit a blank wall.
Prune search seems to be down and an Australian salary site only came up with $43,000 -- $100,000; not much help at all.

So ...
what's the going rate for a Chief Pilot within a small charter organisation. Say 6 of the usual twin-engine aircraft including one turbo prop, and 8 full time pilots. I have an idea of what I think I'm worth but would like to hear others opinions of a commensurate salary for the position prior to interview time.

30th Jul 2011, 08:39
I suggest looking in the 65-80k, plus super region, with a review in 3 months of 15% and every six months after that of 5%. This deal worked well for me and within 12 months was nearly on 100k with a car. Although I wasnt a cheif pilot but did have a key role within a small charter organisation up north.
The review scenario is a good way of the owners having you deliver results based on a performance standard. It is also a good way for you to keep them on their toes - if they dont shape up to the review scenario every 3 months then you know your time their is up. Gives you good perspective on how much they value your contribution to the company. These days it sounds like its becoming harder to find a good cp - make sure you let them know this.

PAY PEANUTS - GET MONKEYS!!

Thats my two cents worth..

Two_dogs
31st Jul 2011, 08:34
650+ views and only one opinion. Maybe I should have gone with my first idea and asked my Mother-In-Law; she usually has an opinion on everything and of course is never wrong.:\

345789, Thanks for you input; I was thinking at the upper end of your scale.

Avgas172
31st Jul 2011, 09:31
God I hate being rude but after a couple of Crownies, I hasten to remind aspiring CP's, pilots & other crew, that the mechanics they are transporting to the Mine sites are on 150K, and the stop - go sign holders are over 100K as of 2 years ago .... go figure. :ugh:

geeup
31st Jul 2011, 09:42
The CPs I know of similar out fits are all on well over the $100k.
Don't sell the position short.
If the company is serious they will pay that sort of money and they will probably find they wont have a high turnover of CPs.

Aussie Bob
31st Jul 2011, 09:54
It's a good question TD and I too am surprised at the lack of answers. Having been a CFI and recently been approved as a CP for another company I think in a mixed fleet deal with several pilots employed the position is worth 150K plus

Unfortunately this is why I tend to derive my income outside GA, in GA I am yet to achieve these sort of bucks.

CP is a serious deal! It's your neck on the line.

FOD_Hazard
1st Aug 2011, 06:57
Agree with Geeup.

Bottom line is that if you have a figure in mind and they offer it and your happy then you accept. I would let them start by making first offer. If you think its an insult do you really want to bargain. Who knows they might be willing to pay more than you were going to ask for in the first place.

CP is a serious deal! It's your neck on the line.

65 to 80k......na, I'd want closer to six figures

VH-XXX
1st Aug 2011, 07:22
To put things into perspective, a just out of training Navy submariner, with allowances gets $93k. The cook on a Submarine gets around $120k. That is after only 3 years training.

If you get monkeys applying, this is why.