PDA

View Full Version : Engineering Training in UK

mitsuboy
30th Jul 2011, 03:56
Some of you may remember me asking about engineering apprenticeships for non nationals, but I have come to accept that they are almost none existent. As a result I am now searching for schools and training facilities in the UK. I live in Barbados and I know that getting a job here immediately may be a long shot, and as such, if I need to migrate, my choice would be the UK. And I guess being trained in the UK would help in getting both a job and a visa. I've already done my Google searches and already know a few places, but nothing beats first hand experience. That's why I am asking here for some advice from UK trained engineers, about some schools or facilities.
Therefore, what are some of the good schools and facilities in or around London? Not sure what my upper tuition fee limit is yet (would totally depend on starting salaries for engineers), but please suggest any good places which train ideally toward licences rather than degrees alone.

Thanks,
Michael

spannersatcx
30th Jul 2011, 05:42
There is more to the UK than London, you may need to look further afield to get what you want.:eek:

mitsuboy
30th Jul 2011, 13:31
I'll take a look around other places...I know about Bristol and Norwich, but I focused on London because that is where my family is located. So I figured, while I am learning, it may be nice to have someplace free to live! :O So any savings will be massive for me, because my exchange rate is around $3.50 per pound, so ever pound saved is important

mitsuboy
30th Jul 2011, 14:33
Yes I did actually, and sent an email to two of the partner schools, and they both replied to me saying that I am not eligible since I am not from the UK or EU. I am not certain which type of Visa I need to be involved in an apprenticeship though. Don't think it would be a student visa since I would be paid, and if its a work visa, I don't have any skills that would help with attaining the visa.

RotaryWingB2
30th Jul 2011, 14:44
Don't discount ICAT in South Wales, or NAA in Newcastle. Although you will need to pay for accommodation.

woptb
3rd Aug 2011, 13:08
Mitsuboy yo could check out AST in Perth, good friend of mine came over to study for his B2 from Greece.

Air Service Training Perth UK aircraft maintenance training (http://www.airservicetraining.co.uk/professional-courses.cfm)

Try the airmech site for answers as well.

PM Me if I can do anything for you.

Cheers,

woptb

grounded27
4th Aug 2011, 04:07
Mixed emotions.. Has nothing to do with your inquiry. Have a top scale position in the middle of the USA and at times I wish I could give it up for a shack on Gilligans Island. Best wishes on your endevours.