PDA

View Full Version : Oshkosh incidents

jbayfan
29th Jul 2011, 04:51
An F16 overshot the runway while landing this afternoon and apparently a Sabre did the same thing shortly afterwards.

See AvCom View topic - F16 prang at Oshkosh today - Thursday (http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81827)

JEM60
29th Jul 2011, 06:55
Been to Oshkosh six times. I have seen pilots killed, maimed, quite a few aircraft destroyed or damaged. There are many, many movements there, so incidents are somewhat inevitable. Not quite sure why the F.16 over-ran... the runway is very long!!!!. Bit close to the jet park!!!!!. Surprised it was the military getting it wrong. Some of the arrival flying by 'Sunday Pilots' has to be seen to be believed, and borders on the criminally dangerous at times!!!

rv8flug
30th Jul 2011, 00:45
No flaps and apparently under lots of power as it went off the runway. It could have been a lot worse.

I taxied past the F16 on the way out yesterday. Only runway 27 was opened at the time. They were only letting in arrivals (planes that were holding) at the time and they had all planes taxiing north on temporary runway 36L/18R shut off engines. After about 15 minutes they had us restart engines, do a 180 in place and take off to the south.

Oshkosh is not a place for the unprepared By that I mean those uncomfortable manuvering close to the ground, slow flight, last minute (like over the numbers) changes from controllers who sound like auctioneers. On the way out there isn't a place to do a runup. It is a zoo.

One of my favorite things to do there is after the airshow to set up a chair, buy some nachos and watch landings on 18R.

cyflyer
31st Jul 2011, 07:00
Isn't it rather stupid to have F16's, or any other jet for that matter, landing on soft grass runways ???? What were they thinking ? From the article it appears that his nosewheel dug into the soft ground, and, then threw earth into the jet intake, which on an F16 is UNDER the fuselage and behind the nosewheel ! Amateur hour from the organisers.

treadigraph
31st Jul 2011, 07:59
Eh? Is your tongue happily in cheek, cyflyer, or did you miss the bit about the F-16 overrunning the hard runway?

The Sabre (an FJ2 Fury) suffered a brake failure but was undamaged - they make those carrier birds tough! The brakes were repaired and it flew home.

Pics of a Bonanza getting a litle wayward while landing at Oshkosh here (http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=234622) - photos of the damage on P2.

cyflyer
31st Jul 2011, 08:07
Eh, my apologies. I missed the bit about the main runway.

JEM60
31st Jul 2011, 08:11
I am absolutely amazed at that Bonanza!!. It is an absolute carbon copy of one about 8 years ago. I was standing in virtually the same place, same type of aircraft, exactly the same situation!. Low and slow on base. I said to my friend 'if he turns finals off this, it's going to drop out of the sky'. He did, it did. Heading straight for the warbird park. Very forunately for him, the nosewheel suffered quite a bit of damage, and it turned itself round through 180 degrees after going through some marker boards. Two on board, both OK, but I bet his passenger won't fly with him again. I have some of it on video, but most of it contains an American voice yelling 'holy sh.t Get out of the way, get out of the was' and lots of grass shots including my trainers, as I ran!!.
Off to Sally B day at Duxford. you going, Treadi? PS FJ4 Fury, I believe:)