PDA

View Full Version : Incident - AA 1755 - MIA-SFO (American Airlines Pilot Beaten)

AVLNative
28th Jul 2011, 17:05
Brothers Arrested, Pilot Hurt After Fight On Plane At MIA - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami (http://www.local10.com/news/28691181/detail.html)

MIAMI -- Two brothers were arrested after police said they attacked a pilot at Miami International Airport on Wednesday night.

JW411
28th Jul 2011, 17:13
Pilots should never ever leave the flightdeck to try and sort out a "domestic".

That was one of the great advantage of flying when I did. Sending the F/E back with the fire axe in one hand and his hat upon his head usually calmed down the situation!

Dani
28th Jul 2011, 17:23
I lately had a fist fight with an 80 year old lady on board so the outcome was a little more forseeable...

11Fan
28th Jul 2011, 17:29
Put them on the no-fly list and the next time those two can go by rowboat.

Jet Jockey A4
28th Jul 2011, 18:22
They sure look like two winners don't they!

No fly list for sure!

SMT Member
28th Jul 2011, 18:33
Put them on the no-fly list and the next time those two can go by rowboat.

Taking their route into consideration, it should also be stressed that the Panama Canal is off limits for their return voyage. They can rowboat round the Horn, or Cape or whatever that nasty bit of water betwixt Antarctica and Terra Del Fuego is called - I'm confident a salt water connoisseur will point out which is correct.

captjns
28th Jul 2011, 19:03
Two next recipients of the Charles Darwin Award:ok:?

captplaystation
28th Jul 2011, 19:26
Living in Spain, I have always been told "don't contemplate entering into an argument with S/Central Americans in night -clubs", where I work now I have been similarly cautioned in respect of Russians.
Based on what I have observed around me, I think in both instances I have received sound advice :hmm:

N7242G
28th Jul 2011, 21:15
An AA pilot was beaten by two belligerents in MIA. CNN reports:

Two brothers have been arrested and charged with aggravated battery after allegedly attacking and chasing a pilot at Miami International Airport.

Brothers accused of beating airline pilot - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/07/28/airline.crew.assault/index.html?&hpt=hp_c2)

Cacophonix
28th Jul 2011, 22:02
Just makes one realize again, that as conservative as pilots are, most of them are wosses!

Caco

con-pilot
28th Jul 2011, 22:35
Just makes one realize again, that as conservative as pilots are, most of them are wosses!

Okay, translation please? I'm confused.

G-CPTN
28th Jul 2011, 22:59
I think Caco means Wusses (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wuss) .

Wossy (http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Wossy) is a different kettle of fish.

con-pilot
28th Jul 2011, 23:14
Well, darn, I'm still confused.

Oh wait, he meant that as a political insult against conservatives, insinuating that conservatives are 'girly men'.

Okay.

Uh, one question however, just how did he know the pilot was conservative? :p

G-CPTN
28th Jul 2011, 23:36
That is conservative (http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&q=conservative&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=yfIxTt-HOYW88gOHqeigDg&sqi=2&ved=0CCAQkQ4&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=e66c6e0adf04fb7&biw=1112&bih=583) with a small c as opposed to a Conservative (http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sa=X&tbs=dfn:1&q=Conservative+Party&tbo=u&ei=y_MxTurxK5Gr-QaPxMigDQ&ved=0CCwQ1AswAg&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=a65dd3ed1abd15d6&biw=1112&bih=581) with a large C (which has to do with politics).

CityofFlight
28th Jul 2011, 23:59
Apparently, like Caconux indicates, some just know don't the difference. And those that do, continue to be tossers. :hmm:

Just sayin'... :)

pigboat
29th Jul 2011, 02:22
A shot of CO2 fire extinguisher in the face would have ended that fracas right smartly.

Jane-DoH
29th Jul 2011, 02:40
JW411

Pilots should never ever leave the flightdeck to try and sort out a "domestic".

Agreed.

Cacophonix

Er, wusses. Regardless, I'm surprised the pilot couldn't have done a better job fighting back. Sure the first time he was caught off guard, but after that he could have landed in some good blows.

Um... lifting...
29th Jul 2011, 03:06
In the airport, in uniform. A couple of ticket-holding pax you've just removed from your aircraft decide to try to teach you a lesson?

Think about the psychological and potential professional implications of that before you are so sure you'd go all Van Damme on these clowns in the same situation. Whether the pilot was or wasn't physically capable of doing so. You don't know what was going through his mind, and it's arrogant to assume you do.

Why law enforcement wasn't brought to the aircraft first thing is the question I'd ask.

You watch way too many movies, Jane.

Krystal n chips
29th Jul 2011, 05:33
Some Captains would have begged to differ with said pax.....

‪Magnum Force- Airplane Hijacking Scene‬‏ - YouTube

Piltdown Man
29th Jul 2011, 13:16
In the air I'll stay locked in, thank you very much. On the ground though, when shut down and parked, I'll take the abuse, knocks, kicks and punches. The cabin crew are not targets and as it is effectively my decision I'll be the victim. Four evicted to date and only one bit of bother but not for long.

PM

Pugilistic Animus
30th Jul 2011, 15:41
damn they just had to be Boricuas :ugh:

Cacophonix
30th Jul 2011, 15:52
Many years ago I was "en route" back from Oranjemund with peers, school children and all. We clambered onto the C130 laughing, shouting and generally behaving like children until the Captain of said aircraft walked aft and seized the first miscreant and, glaring at us all, picked him up by his blazer and said that if he heard one more peep for us, he would beat that fellow. We trooped off the plane as mild as lambs, in awe of aircraft Captains, everyone of us wanting to be the same...

Caco

Shell Management
30th Jul 2011, 15:57
Violence and threatening pax is never the answer.:ugh:

Cacophonix
30th Jul 2011, 16:00
Shell

In Africa, sometimes a good slap suffices...

Caco

Cacophonix
30th Jul 2011, 16:05
Shell

You may have a point but one must command... :ok:

Caco

Jane-DoH
30th Jul 2011, 22:12
Um... lifting...

Think about the psychological and potential professional implications of that before you are so sure you'd go all Van Damme on these clowns in the same situation.

After 9/11, I don't think anybody would object to "going Van Damme" on their asses.

Whether the pilot was or wasn't physically capable of doing so. You don't know what was going through his mind, and it's arrogant to assume you do.

I never said I did -- I simply said what would go through my mind.

You watch way too many movies, Jane.

I'm proficient in various forms of martial-arts and I can handle myself decently well in hand-to-hand combat. I'm certainly not the best in the world but I'm definitely far from the worst.

Um... lifting...
31st Jul 2011, 01:24
I'm proficient in various forms of martial-arts and I can handle myself decently well in hand-to-hand combat.Good for you. Me too, and not as a hobby, I was trained in my profession. 9 times out of 10 two angry males your size are going to hand your head to you. You're very foolish indeed if you think otherwise.

I never said I did -- I simply said what would go through my mind.No, you said nothing of the sort.
Using your tried and true tactic (minus the melodramatic and self-important closing tag), below is what you said. You sat in judgment on a situation that quite clearly you know little about.
You didn't say a thing about what you would do. As to the attack on the pilot, ostensibly the threat to the aircraft was gone, the men were off the plane, the pilot was isolated from the pax aboard. Again, a safer call might have been to have law enforcement meet the plane at the gate when it returned. The pilot was fortunate that other bystanders intervened when he was jumped.
Before the wheels leave the ground, you call for reinforcements. It's only in the air that you rely on what's on the other side of the locked door.

Regardless, I'm surprised the pilot couldn't have done a better job fighting back. Sure the first time he was caught off guard, but after that he could have landed in some good blows.

11Fan
31st Jul 2011, 01:47
The pilot was fortunate that other bystanders intervened when he was jumped.

I think even more are inclined to do so, since 9/11 that is. Most every story I have read regarding unruly Passengers ended with other Passengers getting involved supporting the crew and subduing the loose cannon.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been any fatalities. Well, actually, off the top of my head I think there was one.

Pugilistic Animus
31st Jul 2011, 16:17
this will wake up sleepin' Ricans better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG2NI-cUQUA
:}:ouch:

Yes, passengers and flight crew will beat the crap out of you if you endanger a flight!!!:=

con-pilot
31st Jul 2011, 16:29
I'm actually surprised there hasn't been any fatalities. Well, actually, off the top of my head I think there was one.

Yes there was, I can't recall the airline now, but I believe they landed in Salt Lake City. The crew and passengers had so much trouble restraining the unruly passenger that two passengers sat on the troublemaker until they landed. I believe he suffocated. No charges were filed against the passengers.

surplus1
5th Aug 2011, 18:49
Those two hoodlums should not be held on such low bonds. In the US, interfering with a member of the flight crew is a federal crime. Their bond should be high enough to ensure that they don't get out until trial after which, if convicted, they'll have free room and board for a very long time; and after that, no more flying for either of them.

Scumbags need to be treated like scumbags!