PDA

View Full Version : 747 flightdeck visits

Day Dreamer
18th Feb 2001, 23:35
I know that flightdeck visits aren't flavour of the month but are they possible on a 747 for some PPL dude seated in econ. I'm doing LGW-MCO with Virgin early march, any chance ya think?

Big G
19th Feb 2001, 00:16
If you don't ask,you don't get.I flew BA to JFK last year & asked the CSD as I boarded.10 mins later I was in the flight deck for take off & the following 2 hours,I was also asked back for landing.
Amazing experience.

Flying_Steph
19th Feb 2001, 00:44
The amount of money you give to the airline has (fortunately) nothing to do with the kindness of the Captain.

The first contact is with the F/A, so be nice, don't put your fingers in your nose, make sure the person is not really busy with his/her job at that moment (otherwise he/she might forget your request or decide to disregard it because you pissed him/her off). Don't jump on the first F/A you see, that's probably the one who's in charge of directing the Self-Loading Cargo to their seats and he/she has something else to do. Try to locate one who doesn't look too busy and not too young, lock the target, make a big smile and go for it !

I wouldn't tell them you're studying tourism in France, that your family lives in Kenya, that BA cancelled the return coupon on your last flight with them, and that you're convinced someone is following you and wants to kill you, even though that would be a nice and very subtle joke that might make the Captain lough for decades.
:-)

Once in the cockpit, start by briefly introducing yourself. Don't expect anything, and tell yourself that they will kick you out in the next 30 seconds. The more you expect something, the more it shows, the less you might get it. Let them start the conversation, because you don't really know when they have a minute to talk, so they will chose themselves the best moment for them and they will be in a better "mood" to communicate with you.

Mmmmh, that's all I can say... I did that for years and it worked fine.

Good luck, tell us how it worked !

Billy M
19th Feb 2001, 02:55
Came back from Orlando last year with Virgin and they couln't have been more friendly.

My examiner in Florida (I'd just done my PPL) gave me these tips for getting up to the flightdeck for my return journey:

I got the name of the Captain from the girl who checked me in. Whilst waiting to board I wrote him a quick note explaining why I'd been in Florida and that eventually I was hoping to become a commercial pilot and would be very grateful if I could come up and visit him sometime during the flight.

I made sure that I was first to board and as I got on I handed the note to one of the cabin crew (the most responsible and reliable looking one!) and asked him to pass it on to the Captain.

10 minutes later he came back and handed me my note with, as well as a correction of the spelling of his name, a note from the captain saying "come up straight away".

I ended up getting the jump seat for take off and landing, and he couldn't have been more friendly, giving me a running commentary of everything that was going on, whenever he wasn't too busy that is.

This approach worked for me, I hope it does for you - it's well worth it!!!

Flying_Steph
19th Feb 2001, 13:27
Smart move, Billy M ! :)

Day Dreamer, I cannot recomment you enough to invest some money in the March issue of the "Airways" magazine. There's a 7-pages article on the Virgin 744 operation (description of a EWR-LHR flight). Read it, and if you have any question, put them on paper and keep them for the Captain of your flight !

hasell
19th Feb 2001, 14:29
All posts relate to flights heading west of the UK.
Well, last winter I took one heading east: LHR to New Delhi. Air India (747-400), the crew where fantastic spent a large amount of time up top. Spoke to the cabin crew during the boarding phase. I picked one who wasn't busy and just spoke verbally. I took along my log book -but it wasn't neccessary in the end.
It really made my 8 hour trip worth it!

scroggs
19th Feb 2001, 18:18
Flying_Steph,
I wouldn't go on a LGW-MCO with Virgin all ready with lots of B747-400 questions, because our man will be on a Classic! Us Classic drivers aren't that happy to be asked why we haven't got lots of TV screens, and why we occasionally have to fly the aeroplane manually!
Seriously, there's some good advice above. If you can collar the IFS (female - black blouse; male - grey shirt) you will get the most direct CC route to the captain. Be nice, explain your interest, and you might be lucky!

Flying_Steph
19th Feb 2001, 23:02
Okay Scroggs,

but I doubt Day Dreamer would enter the cockpit and say (like too many pax usually say): "Holly cow ! Don't you get lost in all those buttons and gages ?"
;) ;) ;)

Day Dreamer seems to be an "educated flyer", so I think he should be doing okay and avoid the stupid questions. And if he's not familiar with widebody operation at least that article (or any other on the same subject) might help him.

By the way, where exactly is MCO ?

VFE
20th Feb 2001, 00:51
MCO = Orlando, Florida USA.

InTheAir
20th Feb 2001, 18:02
I basically done exactly what Billy M has said above on a BA flight and ended up enjoying 1/2 an hour on the flight deck during takeoff and then another 1/2 hour during landing.

M M were you @BFC in August? if so email me!

Billy M
21st Feb 2001, 22:46
As a quick addition to my previos post, Hasell has reminded me of something. I tried a similar thing with easyJet and it may have been an excuse because they were too busy for a visit, but they said no because I didn't have a license/log book with me.

So probably worth taking these along.

InTheAir - sharp investigation work!!

hasell
22nd Feb 2001, 13:19
Good point BillyM -ie. you should really take your logbook with you. I guess another factor may be the airline you fly with.
Last April, before I started my PPL training. I was flying back from Washington to LHR. During the cruise, I mentioned to the steward that I was interested in starting my PPL and could I visit the F/deck?-off he trots upto the cockpit. Within 10 mins. I get summoned up.

The crew where fantastic and very enthusiastic about humble me starting my PPL. -I spent about 20mins. or so up top and then excused myself. The a/craft:B747-200 and the airline in question ...BA -Thanks Guys!

Jumbo Jockey
24th Feb 2001, 00:20
Shame on you, scroggers, for suggesting that -400 pilots don't fly manually! Come along and have a go, you'll find she handles even better than the Classic, and without half a quadrant's worth of throttle stagger either...

eyeinthesky
25th Feb 2001, 01:39
Each time I have asked I have got up there, but always some form of ID was requested. A licence is better than a passport.

Word of warning, however: The 'Maniac on the Flightdeck' stories recently (not the Captain!) have prompted a flurry of exchanges elsewhere on PPRUNE about whether cockpit visits should be allowed. I imagine that some airlines are a bit wary now as well.

Good luck.

------------------
"Take-off is optional, Landing is mandatory"

EggBeta
26th Feb 2001, 05:41
Message to the skipper does it everytime. Jump seat for TO & landing, beautiful!

wtpurser01
26th Feb 2001, 18:56
I always find easier when your Dad is working on the flight so I just get him to do all the asking and this results in Take-off and landing with all the info I can think of asking for !

You should try it sometime.

fcom
26th Feb 2001, 19:33
Send a letter to Flt ops at the office fleming way crawley west sussex.This will be forwrded to the captain on the flight on the day of departure and as long it isnt a training flight I'm sure he will be very accomodating unless he is a miserable sod.Usually we are fine.

EDDNR
26th Feb 2001, 19:54
I wouldn't bother wasting everyone's time writing to airlines or chief pilots before the day unless it was a small airline. Just use the professional approach as Billy M did and in most cases you should be OK.

Licence is a good idea but not all wannabes have one yet! Logbooks? Forget it, this is not a ramp check and we've got enough crap to carry onboard without adding some other useless item.

Remember not all pilots want visits, so a rejection shouldn't be taken personally. I'm happy for visits most of the time but what gets my goat are the bored pax who request during the middle of the night thus disturbing the upper deck pax on their way in and out.

Eyeinthesky - your post about the Nairobi incident isn't helpful, that guy wasn't invited and it hasn't altered company policy on flight deck visits.

Rod

Northern Lights
8th Mar 2001, 03:15
EDDNR

Took your advice and it worked a treat. :)

Jumpseat for landing into YUL on a BA B777 and the landing on return to LHR.

Thanks very much.

VFE
8th Mar 2001, 03:58
Glad it worked out for you NL.

It is always great to get that seat if you're a wannabe isn't it?

Thanks to all those pilots who think nothing of it - we really appreciate it.

Regards, VFE.

G SXTY
8th Mar 2001, 17:21
Already mentioned this on another thread, but what the hell - I get this stupid big grin every time I recount the story. . .

Buzz 146, STN > AMS. I was one of the first to board & just handed the FA my log book and a short note to the captain, explaining who I was & why I would love to see the flightdeck.

5 minutes later, the FA returned & asked if I wanted to "go up for the take-off?" Did I?? ;)

And so it was, strapped in with my own headset all the way from pushback to arrival at the gate (including a CAT 3a landing). The crew could not have been more welcoming or encouraging, and I was grinning like a half-wit for a week.

To all you airline drivers from all us wannabes, thank you for every chance you give us to experience flightdeck life. It's a very long & expensive road to an ATPL, but moments like that make it all worth it.

------------------
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit pruning.

EDDNR
9th Mar 2001, 11:20
Northern Lights - glad to offer tips. Once upon a time I was blagging flight deck visits and the words of encouragement (as well as the view) persuaded me to go for it. Now I sit up that sharp end, always welcome a visitor provided they are keen and not just a bored pax looking for additional IFE.

Rod

combi pilot
9th Mar 2001, 13:59
I've managed to get jump seat slots on board SIA B744 and B777 flights from Perth to Singapore. Sitting in on both landings was a buzz and I couldn't stop talking abt it for ages after..

Was quite simple really, just ask the flight stews at the right time for a visit and when you're up there, just make a request to the captain, explain your case (i'm learning to fly now!) and it shouldn't be a problem..Oh, and a healthy hint, remember not to bother them when they're busy with the pre-landing checks lest you want to get booted out..last thing they need is a wannabe asking questions at the wrong time.

Happy landings all.