PDA

View Full Version : You can achieve it if you try

OFSO
28th Jul 2011, 16:13
Many years ago a local schoolboy in the area of Figueras, Alt Emporda, Catalunia, decided he wanted to become a vintner, grow his own grapes, process them and sell the wine; he held on to this ambition right through his schooling. People who knew him said that's all he ever wanted to do: make the best wines at reasonable prices.

His father said no, he was going into the family business, factory and showroom, which against his will he did.

When his father died, he paid off his workers, locked the factory door and walked away from it. Factory/showroom is still there, was still empty last time I looked. Has been for years.

He then built a long low modern building on a hillside road near us, including presses and bottling facilities, a showroom, and upstairs a large exhibition room which local artists get to use for free. From the exhibition room upstairs you can look into the factory through huge plate-glass windows: the factory is spotlessly clean.

He then bought as much land as he could and planted many varieties of grape vine.

The rest is history; his wine is sold everywhere locally, and exported, his showroom is large, modern and has a good range of his wines which are sold at reasonable prices. He has a name for integrity and producing quality wines. At a time when French producers are grubbing up their vines as they can't sell the wine, our local man this side of the border is desperate to acquire more land.

And how goes it ? We went to the place last week to buy some expensive white wine to serve at our dinner parties - expensive means not over 10 a bottle. There was a huge hopper at the back with stacked wine in it marked "crianza* negre" - "unlabelled" - 3.50 a bottle, so I bought some to try. Magnificent: fruity and nutty and not too sweet, almost in the direction of sherry. Went back to buy a lot more today - there are now printed labels on sheets, if you want to label it you can: certified as their own production (of course) from 2010. The price is ludicrous considering how drinkable the wine is, and the fact you know of the integrity of the owner.

I don't know if he's wealthy or just getting by: what I do know is he achieved his childhood ambition. How many of us can say that ?

* A wine labeled 'crianza' has spent one year in oak barrels.

Rwy in Sight
28th Jul 2011, 16:16
A lady friend told me once that her father says if you can have what you love, love what you have. I feel it is the exact opposite of our wine maker hero but at least you can be happy.

Rwy in Sight

G-CPTN
28th Jul 2011, 16:18
Start with a large fortune . . .

Um... lifting...
28th Jul 2011, 16:19
I'm afraid I'd need at least a case of everything he's got on offer before I could make any sort of philosophical input.

Henry09
28th Jul 2011, 16:22
Is that what the Frenchies are giving their toddlers just down the hill from you?

Shack37
28th Jul 2011, 16:29
Magnificent: fruity and nutty and not too sweet, almost in the direction of sherry.

OFSO, what is "not too sweet"? Certainly in most parts of Spain, in my experience "sweet wine" is not a popular drink with a meal. Which sherry is it in the direction of?

Is that what the Frenchies are giving their toddlers just down the hill from you?

From another thread Henry09, sometimes you have to let go, no?

Henry09
28th Jul 2011, 16:35
Shack

Relax, just a jest, it was irresistible.

OFSO
28th Jul 2011, 16:51
in most parts of Spain, in my experience "sweet wine" is not a popular drink with a meal.

First thing: I believe (no statistics) that years ago the Spanish drank only wine. Then beer overtook wine as a popular drink. Now, I think wine is staging a massive comeback.

Of course when we have English to dinner they usually ask for a crate of beer first, that's if they aren't already blind drunk and puking everywhere having crashed their car into our driveway gates and then copulated freely among the yucca....oh...where was I .....anyway I think wine is popular again.

Perhaps, not being a wine expert (I just drink what I like) I gave the wrong impression, anyway you have shaken my ability to describe it, but no, not very sweet. One of our friends (yes, British, but from Hartlepool) often turns up to eat here with a bottle of Spanish wine costing more than my meagre monthly pension, and yes, it's pretty good, but I think the 3.50 wine isn't far behind. Now please don't ask me any more about this wine. I like it, and more one can't say. More, one doesn't NEED to say.

It's all gone quiet down at the rented villa after two of the adults trussed one of the brats to a pillar holding up the veranda yesterday evening, and ignoring his screams - well, it started out as screams, later a sort of dull gurgling - beat him with cane stalks to an inch* of his life, while neighbouring Germans, Dutch and French stood in their droves and cheered them on. So you see, now and then I do have good things to say about the English.

*2.53999 centimetres when beating a French or Spanish child, Henry.

G-CPTN
28th Jul 2011, 17:02
We used to be able to buy wine that had been bottled locally (in far Northern England).
And then there was 'British Wine' which, apparently, was produced in Cyprus (how did that work?)

Shack37
28th Jul 2011, 17:07
OFSO

Now please don't ask me any more about this wine. I like it, and more one can't say. More, one doesn't NEED to say.

Agreed, this is of course the ultimate test......:ok:

Henry09

Shack
Relax, just a jest, it was irresistible.

Relaxed, feet up pose adopted...:cool:

Henry09
28th Jul 2011, 17:12
OFSO

It's all gone quiet down at the rented villa after two of the adults trussed one of the brats to a pillar holding up the veranda yesterday evening, and ignoring his screams - well, it started out as screams, later a sort of dull gurgling - beat him with cane stalks to an inch* of his life, while neighbouring Germans, Dutch and French stood in their droves and cheered them on. So you see, now and then I do have good things to say about the English.

How very distasteful OFSO, I really think you should lay off that wine old chap.

I think OFSO needs to let go Shack, what do you say?

Shack37
28th Jul 2011, 17:19
Henry09
I'd normally have a lot to say but due to a recent mild chastisement and a deep desire to not criticise another man's poison...........:oh:

Partially influenced by a smidgen of cowardice.