PDA

View Full Version : CECT Mobile Clone phones

BOAC
28th Jul 2011, 10:12
I need to replace a trustworthy old mobile and would like to 'venture' into the smartphone world, but cannot afford the prices of Iphone etc.

Requirements are:
Sim Free
Capable of running MS Office or Open Office
Wifi
Bluetooth
GPS

I can get a CECT T5388i at a very affordable low £80's delivered. It is a Chinese clone running the old Winmobile 6.5, but does all I need. For £100 I can get Mobile Office 2010, Garmin maps and the Skype mobile prog bundled.

Not a whisper anywhere on the net of a review. Does anyone know of the reliability and performance of this phone? I am aware of the 'pitfalls' of a Chinese clone, but..................is it worth a punt?

OFSO
28th Jul 2011, 10:32
Like you I was wondering whether to dip my toe in the world of Smartphones - I found a tarif from Vodaphone here in Spain at €6.90 a month plus calls, no data (not necessary as the phone has WiFfi) the HTC Wildfire phone with special offers cost €49 and a week later I received a rebate off future bills of €89 !

Needless to say I am DELIGHTED. I can heartily reccommend the phone: WiFi; GPS, excellent camera, superb quality of sound (much better than the Nokia it replaced) and Android I rate as tops, better than the XP on my PC, WIN7 on the wife's laptop, or Linux. MS is completely useless at smartphone OS.

Go for it.

BOAC
28th Jul 2011, 10:49
That's a good deal! Unfortunately I cannot get near that in the UK or I would take it.

west lakes
28th Jul 2011, 11:34
I got a Samsung Europa earlier in the year £79 on pay as you go. For a £10 top up I get 300 texts messages (usually use about 30) and 500MB of internet which I've not yet exceeded.

BOAC
28th Jul 2011, 11:47
Just a reminder - I am looking for a sim free, not contracted phone. The 'Clone' is dual sim which means I can use a roaming data sim card.

Ancient Observer
28th Jul 2011, 12:31
I hesitate to "recommend" a particular phone as your spec included M/S Office capability.
I think - but have not researched it, that MS Office 2010 includes a free web-app. If that is what you have (2010) then the world of Android might be your place to shop?
In which case, I have and like a Samsung Apollo. Much much cheaper than the i-whatevers, but has much the same in terms of functions. A smaller and less - pixels screen, but works well. Carphone warehouse sell it for £80 on payg.
Whilst carphone W are supposed to sell these phones on one network or another, both my daughter and I have bought Samsungs from CW and just put our own sims in. I suspect you need just a friendly manageress and a nice smile. Neither of the boxes had a network brand on them.

BOAC
28th Jul 2011, 13:06
Thanks AO - will look.

OFSO
28th Jul 2011, 15:59
Incidently BOAC I bought a Nokia last year from Amazon and used an existing SIM card from Vodaphone, could voice and text but every few days I'd get a message saying I should adjust my multimedia settings, which I was unable to do, also couldn't send pictures. This is why I personally am a bit wary of trying to use a very intelligent device on a different SIM card. Having said that I am too busy playing with 'everything else' the HTC provides which is not related to the phone network. Put Skype on it and once you're in range of a WiFi spot who cares if the 'phone' works !

Good luck.

BOAC
28th Jul 2011, 16:06
Gracias - I have emailed the vendor with some 'pertinent' questions! I found one critical review on ebay. What I was hoping to do was to use my T-Mobile sim and a TruSim for roaming voice and data.

I am a little surprised that so far there has been no comment on CECT phones, which are huge in number.

Spurlash2
28th Jul 2011, 16:18
Hi BOAC,

At the risk of STBO (Stating The B******* Obvious), have you had a browse through the WIKI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CECT_(mobile_phone_brand)) link?

BOAC
28th Jul 2011, 16:34
Never does any harm, S2:) Yes, thanks - mainly about the Iphone clones which this model is not - I believe it to be a 'replica' HTC.

BOAC
2nd Aug 2011, 18:12
For an update - I lost my nerve on the phone, plus it will not 'do' 3g, so back to the drawing board and looking for a 'recommended' unlocked dual-sim 'smart' phone at around the £100 - yes, I know...................:)

Ancient Observer
2nd Aug 2011, 18:38
Well, let us all know when you find one of those. Dual sim smart phones are rare. The google tells us that ones that work, and are less than UKP100, are like those pigs flying past.
But when you've bought the flying pig, and when it has worked for over 6 months, do let us know!
Ta
AO

BOAC
11th Aug 2011, 10:02
Case closed with thanks to AO http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/460365-apps-advice-please.html

BOAC
11th Dec 2011, 19:05
Apologies to all for re-opening, but Mrs B has asked Father C for a simple 'smartphone', and in I trolled to Carphone whorehouse to get her another Apollo = right price, right functions. All been recalled, Sir, 1 month ago, 'old stock'. Now I am stuck and looking for another rec at the £80 mark for a reasonable one - the ?Tocca? doesn't get good reviews and likewise the 'Y'. Android preferred, wif/bt and 3g nice to have.

hellsbrink
12th Dec 2011, 05:31
Have a day out in Belgium where you can get the Samsung Galaxy Mini for €99. All phones are sim free here so you won't have any issues whatsoever.

Samsung Galaxy Mini (http://www.phonehouse.be/store/nl/mobile/samsung-galaxy-mini.html)

BOAC
12th Dec 2011, 08:18
Thanks HB - but it means going to Belgium:D Look what happened to DC!

Edit: All coming in well over the £100.

Ancient Observer
12th Dec 2011, 16:35
My last little wander in to Carphone etc introduced me to the Y and the W. Both samsung, so no need to re-learn it all.
The Y might meet your needs. And under £80 on payg.

The W looks great, but is too expensive.

BOAC
12th Dec 2011, 17:33
Looked at it, AO, but as per post #15 the reviews are bad.

Got to 'head office' today and the Apollo 'recall' (582 units I was shown on the screen....) is supposedly due to 'manufacturing problems'. Europa looks possible, but again reviews are disappointing - camera poor, battery life.:*

Ancient Observer
13th Dec 2011, 13:07
One thought. A local , small, Carphone place has a very nice manager who is very keen on sales. Once, when I was deliberating on a purchase she offered a phone for me to try out for a day. (It was about 20 months ago when I was thinking of buying no 2 daughter a Galaxy 1).
Maybe they have the odd phone or two lying around that they can offer on this basis? (Presumably to older clients with credit cards, and not chavs??)
The reviews of Y are mixed, but the Y does meet your original spec - tis a simple smartphone. IMHO, the Tocca is very much an antique now.