PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Eric Olthwaite?

Frank Arouet
28th Jul 2011, 06:27
You know, That avid collector of rain gauges. An imaginative personality etched on my brain subsequent to a trauma induced amnesia. I need to know to fill in some gaps.:(

wings folded
28th Jul 2011, 06:47
If I am thinking of the same chap as you are, it might help to use his correct name which was Eric Olthwaite.

You might get more pertinent responses if you change the thread title.

Hope that helps.

Cacophonix
28th Jul 2011, 06:52
Eric is still seen wearing his flat cap down at pub. A half pint man himself he is a nice fellow all in all even if he is little boring at times. ;)

That night, as we talked excitedly about shovels and precipitation, Arthur and I decided we had so much in common, that we would form a gang, dedicated to pursuing our common interests. Arthur, with his long criminal record, was loathe to divulge his name, so we called ourselves... the Eric Olthwaite Gang.

handsfree
28th Jul 2011, 06:57
It were always raining in Denley Moor, except on days when it were fine; and there weren't many of those - not if you include drizzle as rain. And even if it weren't drizzling, it were overcast and there were a lot of moisture in the air. You'd come home as though it had been raining, even though there had been no evidence of precipitation in the rain gauge outside the town hall.

That Eric Olthwaite ?

wings folded
28th Jul 2011, 07:02
The Eric who was so boring that his parents pretended to be French, so as not to have to talk with him. Jean-Pierre and Vera Olthwaite as I recall.

Eric had firm views on the robustness of a Spear & Jackson number 3 spade.

DC10RealMan
28th Jul 2011, 07:05
I think that I have flown with him on a number of occasions.

Henry09
28th Jul 2011, 07:35
Frank

Come on fess up. You have been reminded of Eric because you saw the Tomkinson's school days clip on the screaming kids thread eh :)

Effluent Man
28th Jul 2011, 10:28
I am sure he was murdered.Hit over the head with a Spear&Jackson shovel. A number 5 I believe if memory serves.

Rossian
28th Jul 2011, 10:59
....beginning to display the same elements of surreal-ity (ness?) as is presently found in the "grey ladies" thread in the mil forum. I'm all for it meself.

The Ancient Mariner

Frank Arouet
28th Jul 2011, 11:02
Whatever happened to Eric Olthwaite?

his correct name which was Eric Olthwaite

Yes that's the fellow.

I had one TV channel in hospital circa 1983 and orientating in time and space, (as one does). And like old girlfriends long gone, one sometimes wonders what become of them. Kept me amused during times of boredom and intolerable pain.

#5 shovel eh? sad, but a fitting end. Did it happen on Denley Moor?

Henry09
28th Jul 2011, 11:20
It was only one twenty five minute episode of 'Ripping Yarns' ;) Thats what time does to your head :) like being hit ont tead wi a number 5 shuvil.

603DX
28th Jul 2011, 11:59
Was Eric by any chance a relative of a certain Henry Charles Postlethwaite? The "thwaites" of Northern parts are known for their gregarious habits, often attaching themselves eagerly to likely-sounding prenomens such as "Ol" and "Postle".

I recall that Henry Charles P was a faithful attendee throughout the 1958-1961 civil engineering degree course at UCL. "Our Henry" assiduously turned up and signed the attendance register at every morning lecture on higher mathematics, structural analysis, reinforced and prestressed concrete, structural steelwork, hydraulics, surveying, geology, law, water supply and sewage treatment, highway engineering, dams and harbours design, and much more besides. His signature confirmed his presence at every afternoon laboratory and drawing office session, every surveying course, and every geology field trip.

Yet at the end of our 3 years of hard graft, whatever happened to Henry the indefatigable? He slipped away, that's what, without actually sitting a single examination, leaving behind him hundreds of signatures (many of them in suspiciously different handwriting), but no other trace that he was ever there. Did he have a good life, a successful career? We will never know. And do you know, no one could recall exactly what he looked like! :confused: ;)

Cacophonix
28th Jul 2011, 12:13
There was the famous Mechanical Engineering Harvey Postlethwaite.

Often regarded as an eccentric man, he ended up working at that most eccentric (and yet successful) team Hesketh. Later he went on to technically lead Ferrari to two world constructor's titles amongst other achievements.

When asked why he had joined Hesketh he was reputed to have said...

"They got me drunk".

Clearly a more interesting Thwaite than Eric!

Effluent Man
28th Jul 2011, 13:53
Is that pronounced Post-wait?

If you like this kind of stuff try Uncle Mort's North Country by Peter Tinniswood.

Storminnorm
28th Jul 2011, 14:02
Did he get drunk on Thwaites Thweet Thtout?

tony draper
28th Jul 2011, 14:04
Yeth.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Storminnorm
28th Jul 2011, 14:05
Thankth......

tony draper
28th Jul 2011, 14:08
aluth pithed and theldom theen thober.:rolleyes:

603DX
28th Jul 2011, 14:47
I think Henry Charles Postlethwaite was present in spirit (and in ale) at the gala opening of the new student's union bar at UCL in 1959. This was officially declared open by two well known (and very well tanked-up!) actors, John Gregson and George Coulouris.

John had played the lead role of Hurricane pilot "Septic" in the acclaimed Battle of Britain film "Angels One Five", and also in the veteran car comedy "Genevieve" with Kenneth More and Kay Kendall. George had played the loony patient in "Doctor in the House" who claimed Sir Lancelot Spratt had left assorted surgical instruments inside him after an operation. "St Swithins", the teaching hospital at which this supposedly occurred, was actually the UCL buildings. (This gave a tenuous reason for inviting him to this particular "beerfest").

The pair of them arrived in what might be described as "a tired and emotional state", probably after an excellent lunch, and proceeded to entertain us with masterly impersonations of blithering idiots in their cups. The beer was either temporarily free, or at a nominal price (I forget which, and much else of that day besides), so the freshly refurbished premises in the former Seamen's Hospital building became very second-hand, very rapidly indeed. I don't recall how I got home afterwards, and doubt if the two thespians made it in the same week, let alone the same day. :uhoh: