PDA

View Full Version : Air Canada on Fire after Sydney Departure

The Tn Man
28th Jul 2011, 02:05
Reports from ABC 24 , Air Canada has an uncontained Galley fire after departure from Sydney ,currently dumping fuel.

Capt Kremin
28th Jul 2011, 02:09
I doubt it would be dumping fuel if the fire was still uncontained. Immediate landing would be the go.

fender
28th Jul 2011, 02:11
Just watching it return on flightradar24.
On the ground
Scary thought. Best wishes

Airline: Air Canada
Flight: AC34
Via: Vancouver, Vancouver (YVR)
To: Toronto, Pearson (YYZ)
Aircraft: Boeing 777-233LR (B772)
Reg: C-FIUA
Hex: C01729
Altitude: 225 ft (69 m)

Capt Fathom
28th Jul 2011, 02:36
That first report was perhaps a little of the mark....!

Smoke in galley forces jet to return. (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-incidents/smoke-in-galley-forces-air-canada-jet-to-return-to-sydney-20110728-1i195.html)

1A_Please
28th Jul 2011, 02:47
So the drama is somewhere between "plane on fire" and "toast is burnt.":rolleyes:

fender
28th Jul 2011, 03:23
I'm happy with burnt toast.

Scamp Damp
28th Jul 2011, 07:42
Faulty Oven I hear...

stubby jumbo
28th Jul 2011, 23:49
'heard that the inbound crew that morning had a big "cook up" before arrival in SYD.

Croisants etc and left them wrapped up in paper towels in ovens !:eek:

New crew came on -didn't check ovens. Turned them on to 250^ to heat ovens before loading meals.

BINGO !!!!

Wonder how much that exercise in slackness cost them.

We would never to that on QF.........;)

nitpicker330
29th Jul 2011, 02:59
The Ovens are normally cleaned out ( and I don't mean they eat all the left overs ) by the Caterers before they re load them..

So I find the above post unlikely in the extreme.

Captain Gidday
29th Jul 2011, 07:00
An Australian Transport Safety Bureau spokesman said that the organisation would not be investigating the incident as it had taken place outside Australian airspace

Oh really? Which FIR do they think it was in then?

stubby jumbo
29th Jul 2011, 07:54
So I find the above post unlikely in the extreme.

I think you will find that "normally" use to happen BUT due to cutbacks -it has been banished to the past.

mmmmmm.....another one for your REASON MODEL discussion at Human Factors.

aulglarse
29th Jul 2011, 13:56
If it was an oven fire, what happened to the security checks by the oncoming cabin crew?

Anthill
29th Jul 2011, 22:55
I seem to recall that an Ozjet CM (from Perth) put the paperwork in the oven just as the passengers arrived to board :}

Anyway, an interesting exercise an it happens frequently. Just as a scenario to consider: What do you do if the Purser/FM/Cm calls after take-off and says : "Captain, I have smoke in the galley"?

Do you do an immediate return to land? Sit on you hands? What? This can be a subtle an complex issue.

Consider (stories from real life): After TO at about FL200, an interphone call to the FD with CM saying "Captain, I can smell smoke in the FWD galley".

Capt asks "Can you see the smoke, is it visible: Answer "Not really, a little bit hazy maybe"
Capt: Can you locate source? Answer: "Yes, the ovens, I think".
Capt: Getting worse or better?: Answer "Sort of the same, I don't know, maybe less".
CM then tells Captain that she thinks that they should turn back. Captain says they will continue and asks for more information. Can anyone else smell the smoke?--"Yes, other crew".

Is it visible yet? Is the smoke acrid? Can the PAX smell it? Is the smoke irritating to eyes/nose/throat? Answer to all of these is "No". CM again suggests on a return to land. FO agrees that crew need more information.

Tricky one. What should they do??? :sad:

TBC..

ollie_a
30th Jul 2011, 01:30
Oh really? Which FIR do they think it was in then?

There is a difference between Australian airspace and Australian administered airspace - i.e. international waters.