PDA

View Full Version : BCFT (Bournemouth - merged 2011)

whitepark109
28th Jul 2011, 00:53
Any current or past students from BCFT that could share any details about the flying side of things? Thinking of doing my CPL and MEIR there. What is is really like?

Cheers!

v1rotate1
30th Jul 2011, 07:31
I did my ME/IR there in 09. Great organisation. There are in the business of getting you through your test yet imparting as much IFR knowledge as you can accept. Alsim 200 sim and BE76, both were 100% servicble during my course. I was in and out within 6 weeks, Mon to Fri.

Recommended.

student88
30th Jul 2011, 12:14
I know a lot of students at Bournemouth are currently looking for other schools as there is a big problem with lack of aircraft.

whitepark109
30th Jul 2011, 15:25
Thanks! Really not sure what to do, have planned a visit in two weeks time so I guess I will just see what I think

zondaracer
30th Jul 2011, 16:11
I have recent experiece at BCFT. All around a very professional and well run outfit, but lacking in single engine aircraft. They have lots of multi engines which is good. They stay quite busy and have high utilization of aircraft, and they try to limit the ratio to two students per instructor but I still found them very busy and even though I was flying everyday, I would have liked to go at a faster pace.

whitepark109
1st Aug 2011, 20:26
yea where ever i go I want to be able to fly everyday, weather permitting off course. Is it any advantage to do all the CPL training in the mulit engine?

zondaracer
1st Aug 2011, 21:20
The advantage to doing CPL in a multi engine is that a multiengine time looks better than single engine time. Same as jet engine time looks better than piston time. If you can afford it, the more multi time, the better.

The disadvantage is that multiengine time costs more. Most people try to balance multi time vs. cost.

whitepark109
1st Aug 2011, 21:32
yea i see what you mean. Realistically how quick can you get it done? I no its very dependent on weather but is 3/4 week realistic for CPL? Can i ask how long it took you to complete CPL/ MEIR

corporate-pilot
1st Aug 2011, 21:37
The advantage to doing CPL in a multi engine is that a multiengine time looks better than single engine time. Same as jet engine time looks better than piston time. If you can afford it, the more multi time, the better.

The disadvantage is that multiengine time costs more. Most people try to balance multi time vs. cost.

Only note worthy if you get lots of it, a recruiter wont care if you've got 10, 15, or 20 hours more than another candidate, you would make up any "deficit" within a few days of line flying!

What it will do though is give YOU some extra hours in the aircraft which could make the IR a fraction easier.

I left BCFT after groundschool as I didn't like the look of their flying, plenty of people stayed on and enjoyed it and got good results, it comes down to personal opinion and a visit is a must. Make sure you visit a few schools to help you compare apples with apples.

zondaracer
1st Aug 2011, 22:23
I did my training in the US in a non-JAA school, but I went to BCFT to do a CPL conversion (I did my IR conversion elsewhere). It took me 14 days, and I was able to fly 10 of those days (including the checkride), and I averaged I think less than 1.3hrs for each day that I actually flew, and this was during the summer. Since I was a conversion, I didnīt have any minimum hours to attain. If you plan on doing a CPL, plan on 25hrs (if you have already done your hour building), so probably close to a month and a half. And then your MEIR, which will probably take you another 2 months (you can normally fly if it is cloudy). That is what it seemed the other lads were taking from what I gathered.

Zaid28
7th Aug 2011, 09:40
Dear All,

I am considering joining BCFT in Q1 2012 (March) to start the Jetline course and to ultimately gain a CPL and MCC. I am intending to do a fully integrated course and hope to complete within the 18month period (weather permitting). My main questions,
Could you please advise on the organization?
A) Modern building?
B) Knowledgeable lectures in comparison to other training schools?
C) Ratio of single engine and multi-engine aircrafts to students? After reading this forum I now have mixed feelings.
D) Pass rates? In comparison CTC have in excess of 95% success rate.
E) Finally, kindly advise on their current SIM classification?

I have already visited CTC, Cabair, and Oxford. However these are too expensive, although I am aware of the benefits of joining them. I would appreciate all your valuable feedback. Thank you in advance. Cheers.

corporate-pilot
7th Aug 2011, 10:34
I am intending to do a fully integrated course and hope to complete within the 18month period (weather permitting).

They do NOT offer intergrated courses. They have been in trouble before with the Advertising Standards Agency for offering "Intergrated Modular" courses. Are they currently advertising an "intergrated" course? If so they could find themselves in trouble again, hopefully though it's just your wording.

According to your details you live in Surrey, the best thing you can do is get down there and check them out for yourself. This is by far the best thing you can do. I live overseas and made the effort to visit lots of places in the UK before deciding where to go.

I attended BCFT for groundschool, and at the time they were good. However a school is only ever as good as its instructors and some have left since I did my groundschool and I don't know what the replacements are like. The only way to find out is to talk to current students, without anyone from the school nearby. Speak to as many as you can down there to get as many opinions as you can. Some in my class thought the place was perfect, they were often the ones who went down to the Curlew with the bosses, it was these folks who were used by the school to go to Flyer shows to chat to potential new students. Of course it makes business sense to only have people who believe in your product to sell it at these marketing road shows, but it's nice to get opinions from others too.

It was during my 6 months there that I realised I didn't want to do my flying training with them. I used to chat to to flying students, and watch the operation and I just didn't feel it was for me.

You often hear of this "one-stop modular" route, Flybe have said they prefer modular students to have been to one school for modular, this ONLY applys to CPL & IR. So don't be tricked into thinking you are doing yourself a favour by doing groundschool at the same place as your CPL & IR.

Other options for you would be to do groundschool at BCFT, London Met or distance learning with Bristol (or somewhere else of course), and then research again before starting CPl & IR. Places change, instructors come and go so for me visiting the schools again (as well as some new ones) is crucial in the decision making process.

A lot of schools, including BCFT are very good at dangling carrots to encourage you to sign up to their Jet Line course, saving you some cash. For me, I wanted to hold all the cards, I was prepared to have to spend a bit more but have the option of leaving to train elsewhere. It paid off for me, as I didn't stay on.

Good luck.

RichardH
7th Aug 2011, 11:14
You must go and see these things for youself, a personal visit is a MUST.

Different people have different criteria, standards, expectations, time and funds available playing a large part in their school selection.

BCFT do not offer a formal Integrated course like CTC, OAA & Cabair. However with the modular package they offer you end up with the same bit of paper a CPL/IR with ATPL written exams (Frozen ATPL) at significantly less cost most likely.

Beware trying to compare pass rates. I have warned before on this forum that results can be tweaked. CTC's Integrated course has a tough selection procedure which tends to ensure a higher calibre of student producing better results overall. Compare apples and apples not apples and pears.

Zaid28
7th Aug 2011, 11:53
Dear Richard,

Thank you so much for your valuable advice.

I am currently planning a visit whilst in England later this month. Could I kindly ask you, have you trained or currently employed by BCFT?

I am aware of CTC selection criteria and assessment guidelines, hence the high success rate. Never the less, its always advantageous to know BCFT success rate. One of my other concerns is the ratio students v aircraft availability.

Do excuse me, I am relatively new to pprune.

Regards

corporate-pilot
7th Aug 2011, 19:01
Zaid if you are about to spend upward of Ģ40,000 on flight training you must must must factor in a few hundred quid to go and visit the school. It is almost beyond belief that someone would spend that sort of money without having ever visited the place.

One of the many skills required to become a good pilot is risk assessment. Committing to a course without having been to visit is a huge risk in my opinion.

Another skill required to become a good pilot is a methodical work ethic. So please don't rush into any decision. Gather all the info you can (coming on here is a good start), but don't rely solely on it.

One of the acronyms we use for problem solving is DODAR. Very useful in both the aircraft and the sim when things go "non standard". Diagnose, Options, Decide, Assign/Action, Review. The review process is the most important in the aircraft and I would also say in the case of choosing a flight school. I "reviewed" on completion of ground school at BCFT and decided to go elsewhere for the flight training, best thing I ever did. I must stress though, this was a purely personal decision, there was no "smoking gun" that made me go. Others have had a great experience there.

Zaid28
7th Aug 2011, 20:13
Dear corporate-pilot,

Thank you for the post and for the valuable advise.

I have actually visited CTC, OAA, Cabair and Redair - Blackbush . The initial three mentioned seemed to have an excellent training complex, lectures, spoke to a number of students of whom seem relatively happy with their chosen training school. However OAA and CTC are just incredibly expensive for me. I then decided to visit Redair in Blackbush. However, their aircrafts are quite old, and the training structure is non methodical & comprehensive. They seem to have a very relaxed approach.

I am currently working in the Middle East, and planning to move back to Surrey, England by Xmas 2011, to start by March 2012. I will of course visit BCFT later this month, and hope to meet with current students and to discuss the pros & cons (off campus of course). I am aware of the benefits of CTC and OAA though the prices are just amazingly high. I have also spoken to Emirates training school, however their quoted price is in excess of 100K + expenses + accommodation.

As i mentioned above, I will be traveling back to England later this month and hope to arrange a meeting with BCFT.

In the meantime, thank you so much for you support.

zondaracer
8th Aug 2011, 15:53
Corporate-pilot mentioned BCFT had some trouble with the advertising standards agency regarding integrated training. I do remember hearing about this and it was basically a simple misunderstanding that was cleared up quickly. The problem came from one of their posters that showed where BCFT's Jet Line course sat in relation to both integrated and modular training. The poster highlights that the Jet Line course is the best of both worlds (integrated and modular). However just because it mentions the word integrated doesn't mean it offers integrated courses.

BCFT DO NOT OFFER INTEGRATED TRAINING!

I recall seeing a sign out says "One stop modular"

Zaid28
8th Aug 2011, 19:01
Good Evening Rtong,

Thank you for the post.

I have just sent you a message.

Kindest regards

The_green_penguin
17th Aug 2011, 11:09
I have searched the forums thoroughly regarding CPL/ME/IR training at BCFT and, overall, the reviews appear to be fairly positive... (I know different people have different needs/opinions etc.)

However, I should be very grateful to hear from any current (or recent) students studying/training towards their CPL, ME or IR. I am interested to hear about the standards of training, availability of aircraft and overall satisfaction with BCFT as a professional training provider. (Please note that I am not interest in the ATPL Groundschool element, although I hear that is also good).

Please feel free to private message me, if people are more comfortable with that.

Thanks in advance.

AlfaBravo02
9th Sep 2011, 10:26
Good morning.

Any news on this ?

Thanks,
AB02

SinBin
9th Sep 2011, 11:26
BCFT was very good for me, got a jet job 6 months after finishing on an Airbus, type rating paid for by airline, now with BA!

Joe86
5th Apr 2012, 11:17
I was very impressed with BCFT when I met a few members of staff at a flyer Heathrow event last year.

Their website and adverts now suggest they are partnered with Flybe... How? Are people being offered interviews/jobs after completing the Jetline course?

Is the Jetline course a real (and realistically priced) alternative to CTC or OAA?

Regards

Joe

Pathfinder-1988
12th Apr 2012, 12:14
Hi there, this is my first post on Pprune, but i thought i would share my basic opinion and research on this matter.

I went down to BCFT 2 weeks ago, and i was also generally very impressed by the overall setup they had there. I am certainly considering giving them some money to complete my licenses there. Regarding the comparison to the big schools and BCFT. I have researched this to no end and asked many pilots i know, and what they offer on the Jetline course will give you the same piece of paper at the end of the day.

My concern, ( like many others) is how well it will place you within a job at the end of the day. I think its safe to say getting in with a big airline is almost non existant, however, options of perhaps delivering a/c or parachute dropping may not be out the question.

Im going to the heathrow flyer to experience perhaps whats said there about the industry, but you can see everywhere it isnt great.

Hope this helps with your question a little bit.

regards

I was very impressed with BCFT when I met a few members of staff at a flyer Heathrow event last year.

Their website and adverts now suggest they are partnered with Flybe... How? Are people being offered interviews/jobs after completing the Jetline course?

Is the Jetline course a real (and realistically priced) alternative to CTC or OAA?

Regards

Joe