PDA

View Full Version : PPRuNe mobile apps now available

BrandiNettIB
25th Jul 2011, 19:58
PPRuNe mobile apps are now available for Android and iOS devices!

The apps are free. For details and downloads:

Android (all devices release 1.6 and up)
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.vbulletin.build_968

iOS (all devices 3.1 and up)
PPRuNe App for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/app/pprune-app/id450936005)

Whirlygig
25th Jul 2011, 20:16
Nice :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

Tinstaafl
26th Jul 2011, 03:19
Why does it need to access phone state & identity, and location?

KBPsen
26th Jul 2011, 20:39
Tinstaafl wanted to know why this app needs/have access to phone state & identity and location, so do I. It would also be interesting to know why it needs/have access to the camera and SD card?

This application has access to the following:

Hardware controls take pictures and videos
Allows application to take pictures and videos with the camera. This allows the application at any time to collect images the camera is seeing.
Your location coarse (network-based) location
Access coarse location sources such as the cellular network database to determine an approximate device location, where available. Malicious applications can use this to determine approximately where you are.
Network communication full Internet access
Allows an application to create network sockets.
Phone calls read phone state and identity
Allows the application to access the phone features of the device. An application with this permission can determine the phone number and serial number of this phone, whether a call is active, the number that call is connected to and the like.
Storage modify/delete USB storage contents modify/delete SD card contents
Allows an application to write to the USB storage. Allows an application to write to the SD card.

BrandiNettIB
26th Jul 2011, 23:49
Thanks for all the input, everyone.

To answer a few questions:

Tapatalk - We are in talks with them, but those have not reached any actionable business level yet.

Blackberry - We currently have no plans for a Blackberry app.

App access to phone functions -

Hardware controls: Allows photo upload to forum.
Storage: For app's caching functionality.
Location, network communication, phone status: Ad support.

Hope that helps!

The Nr Fairy
27th Jul 2011, 07:22
CleeIB:

Thanks for that.

Any chance of getting it (and, while we're at it the main forum via the Web) to use HTTPS, rather than HTTP - most useful in free Wi-Fi zones which is where the mobile app will end up being used quite a lot.

Thone1
27th Jul 2011, 18:15
Thanks for offering this App.

Any chance for an iPad (2) version? Or did I miss that in the AppStore?

Cheers,

Thomas

sss
27th Jul 2011, 19:50
Thank you downloading it now

Hedge36
28th Jul 2011, 04:02
Excellent - thank you for that. This is a wonderful improvement when using my phone.

Thomas, I'm not sure I see the value in a dedicated iPadd app, as using the site in iCabMobile is quite acceptable - no sense reinventing the wheel, after all.

BrissySparkyCoit
28th Jul 2011, 04:29
Working brilliantly on HTC Android phone! Much better than using the browser.

TiPwEiGhT
28th Jul 2011, 04:45
Thanks for the app. But how do you select a particular forum? When i press the forum button, all the scrolling list has is "forum", and nothing else????

Pandalet
28th Jul 2011, 07:42
If you find the location tracking a bit creepy, and would like better control of your privacy, check out Whisper Systems :: WhisperCore (http://whispersys.com/whispercore.html) - currently only works on Nexus phones, but apparently other model support is 'coming soon'. There are some similar apps around for other phones.

Thone1
28th Jul 2011, 18:09
@Hedge36: I just asked because the size is optimized for the iPhone, HTC etc. The iPad would allow for a better solution and better "readability".

But thanks anyways for putting together that app!

Thomas