PDA

View Full Version : How to dispose of one of these new fangled light bulbs.

con-pilot
26th Jul 2011, 19:55
Now this is funny.

The Daily Bayonet (http://dailybayonet.com/)

vulcanised
26th Jul 2011, 20:59
They are the only game in town (UK) now, con.

When will the population wake up/grow some?

OFSO
26th Jul 2011, 21:06
Take 'em to the recycling centre along with everything else that can be recyled or needs disposal. Not that difficult is it ?

(Well yes it is because every time I take something to our local reco centre I come back with something else...."hey look at this great printer/hard drive/power supply/case fan/dvd drive/case which I can steampunk"....... and I get hell from Mrs OFSO plus it's getting hard to get her car in the garage because of all the *stuff* in there which may come in handy some day...)

radeng
26th Jul 2011, 23:18
personally, I'd like to stuff them up the a**e of the daft feckwits who came up with the idea of them. Preferably broken first.

racedo
26th Jul 2011, 23:24
Radeng

That would be assault.........

However if you need a witness to state that individual concerned slipped over on the bunch of 200 lightbulbs and all ended up there then let me know.:E

ExSp33db1rd
27th Jul 2011, 00:07
Need another ?

critter592
27th Jul 2011, 01:02
Radeng, I'm right with you on that one.:ok:

You can call me as an extra witness any time. ;)

Um... lifting...
27th Jul 2011, 02:22
I'll go back to candles first.

Friend owns a couple acres of grapes in the uplands. Has a small, well-insulated pump house about the size of a doghouse. It is lit with a 100W bulb, which provides enough heat to keep the pipes from freezing, which they can do at night really any time of the year. Trouble with these damned bureaucrats is they think one size fits all.

radeng
27th Jul 2011, 07:53
It would where I want to stuff it!

UniFoxOs
27th Jul 2011, 08:19
They are the only game in town (UK) now, con.

Not strictly true, vulcanised, one of my supplier lists 132 different types of incandescent bulbs available, including standard round bulbs, PARs and an assortment of decorative types. Don't believe what the monkeys in the shops tell you.

Cheers
UFO

under_exposed
27th Jul 2011, 09:11
Um... lifting... , get your friend to use a dimmable low energy bulb. I looked at these in our local Tesco the other day. A bulb equivalent to an incandescent 92w bulb is 70w!

Sallyann1234
27th Jul 2011, 11:10
Plenty available here:

Household GLS - Bayonet BC Lamps, Light Bulbs (http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/Lamps_and_Tubes_Index/GLS_Household_Lamps/index.html)

OFSO
27th Jul 2011, 11:41
Being serious.....in our local DIY shop we have low-energy eco lamps in three colours (natural, yellow, blue-white); in fast-on or slow-on or dimmable versions; in every wattage from 5 to 25 (the latter equivalent to 150 watt incandescant); in many different shapes and sizes, including ones that look like a frosted incandescant bulb...in fact something for everyone. Can't see why anyone would complain.

P.S. However, they are now being superceeded by 1 watt LED bulbs in GU-10 and 12 volt versions and screw-in base versions. Our three 40 watt halogen kitchen spotlight fitting now has three 1 watt LED GU-10's at 10 each. The security lamps in the front yard are now all 1 watt LED's and stay on 24 hrs a day, they use less power than a time switch does.

Airborne Aircrew
27th Jul 2011, 12:47
It's things like the "eco lightbulb" that perfectly demonstrate the Law of Unintended Consequences:-

Energy-saving traffic lights blamed in crashes

Link (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34436730/ns/us_news-life/t/energy-saving-traffic-lights-blamed-crashes/)

MILWAUKEE (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&where1=MILWAUKEE&sty=h&form=msdate) Cities around the country that have installed energy-efficient traffic lights are discovering a hazardous downside: The bulbs don't burn hot enough to melt snow and can become crusted over in a storm a problem blamed for dozens of accidents and at least one death.
"I've never had to put up with this in the past," said Duane Kassens, a driver from West Bend who got into a fender-bender recently because he couldn't see the lights. "The police officer told me the new lights weren't melting the snow. How is that safe?"
Now, how much will the solution cost?

Authorities in several states are testing possible solutions, including installing weather shields, adding heating elements like those used in airport runway lights, or coating the lights with water-repellent substances.
Cleaning by hand
Short of some kind of technological fix, "as far as I'm aware, all that can be done is to have crews clean off the snow by hand," said Green Bay, Wis., police Lt. Jim Runge. "It's a bit labor-intensive."
:ugh:

Um... lifting...
27th Jul 2011, 13:19
Um... lifting... , get your friend to use a dimmable low energy bulb. I looked at these in our local Tesco the other day. A bulb equivalent to an incandescent 92w bulb is 70w!

Having a bulb that generates 100w worth of heat is half the point. Is it more economical to burn a 100w lightbulb or install a purpose-built heating element to achieve the same purpose?

Blacksheep
27th Jul 2011, 13:32
Can't see why anyone would complain.Well, there's the price for a start. They cost much more than an incandescent and don't last as long. At least, none of those that I bought did: all twelve of them have gone to the dump already. I managed to find a batch of fifty 60w incandescents that, at my age, will last longer than me. The kids can share out what's left of them.

27mm
27th Jul 2011, 13:54
Excuse my ignorance, but how is the mercury vapour in low energy bulbs disposed of and how much energy is expended in disposal?

DType
27th Jul 2011, 14:40
Being so old, the government/taxpayer sent us a few energy saving bulbs for free. The results were exceptionally impressive, since they all achieved zero energy consumption (pity the light output was also zero!!).

radeng
27th Jul 2011, 19:37
Not that sure about the life time of the LED bulbs, as they have some electronics driving them that produces radio noise. Plus lead free solder that grows tin whiskers and has a relatively short life for the PC boards.

ShyTorque
28th Jul 2011, 00:16
So to save a bit of power they've filled millions of delicate little glass envelopes with toxic metal vapour and tell us all to take them home and put 240 volts through them till they burn out.

Very environmental. Or maybe just mental.

Whirlygig
28th Jul 2011, 01:11
I "currently" have one of these eco light bulbs in my study. I bought it in 1992 and it's seen me through four house moves (and soon to be a fifth). By the time it expires, I guess a scientific method of disposing it will have been developed.

Cheers

Whirls

"amp" suffering from pun withdrawal symptoms .... :}

Worrals in the wilds
28th Jul 2011, 01:12
They cost much more than an incandescent and don't last as long. At least, none of those that I bought did: all twelve of them have gone to the dump already.

I've successfully extended their lamp life by only handling them with cotton cloths and not letting any skin oil get on the glass (you can wipe it off with alco wipes if it does). I was taught to do this years ago with the 1000W+ quartz halogen lamps used in stage lights, tried it in desperation after going through a box of the new dimmables and found that it seems to work. I'm also extremely gentle with them, much more so than with the old style bulbs.

I have no idea if there's any scientific basis but they've all lasted a reasonable length of time since I've started doing it, though not as long as the old style bulbs.