PDA

View Full Version : KLM testing new fares

wawkrk
26th Jul 2011, 11:16
KLM test one way fares campaign at Leeds Bradford Airport

KLM is trialling a new promotion at Leeds Bradford Airport to highlight its one-way fare deals. The new campaign will run until the start of September. If successful, the scheme will be rolled out nationally.

The campaign will use a mix of outdoor, print and online media and focuses on highlighting added value services included as standard in KLM’s one-way fare. The Amsterdam on a Plate initiative shows an airline food tray segmented to show the added value services including snacks and drinks, hold baggage and a high frequency schedule along with a £39 one-way fare including all taxes.

Henri Hourcade, general manager of KLM UK & Ireland, said: ‘In order to attract the cost-conscious traveller, we need to take a different approach, focusing on one-way fares but also clearly showing that on KLM the fare you pay includes all services. We chose Leeds Bradford Airport as our guinea pig to show our commitment to the region. We recently increased our frequencies from three to four flights daily so this is a good opportunity for us to profile not only our flexible schedules but also our all-inclusive fares.’

Source: UK Airport News

They don't seem to have started yet.

Danscowpie
26th Jul 2011, 20:27
An absolute bargain!
If the trial is successful (which I am sure it will be) hopefully they'll extend it to other airports. :ok:

cesare.caldi
26th Jul 2011, 20:42
I hope this new one way fare will be extended all over Europe

TSR2
26th Jul 2011, 20:57
I hope its not a case of £39 outbound and £832 to get back :D

Capetonian
26th Jul 2011, 20:59
Who'd want to go back to Leeds/Bradford? It might make more sense from a revenue management perspective to charge the high fare on the outbound leg!

TSR2
26th Jul 2011, 21:04
One way - £37.48 incl taxes and hold baggage with Jet2 mid-week in August.

Phileas Fogg
26th Jul 2011, 22:50
Hopefully it will be more successful than their (tight fisted) attempt of banning alcohol in economy class (a few year back) whilst there might be a party going on the other side of the business class curtain.

wawkrk
27th Jul 2011, 00:32
When they banned alcohol in economy, I took a small bottle of wine on board from the business lounge. When I was served with my dry on board sandwich, I put the wine on my tray table. The steward said I was not allowed to bring my own wine on board. I replied it was not my own wine it and was supplied by KLM. He went to ask the Cabin Manager and she said no it was not allowed. You could hear the groans when others were asking for beer etc.

bravoromeosierra
27th Jul 2011, 07:31

Presumably, one would choose KLM if they were similar prices?

TSR2
27th Jul 2011, 08:11
Actually the Jet2 price is £23.49 if travelling with hand baggage only, which is quite likely for a lot of travellers to this destination.

JSCL
27th Jul 2011, 08:11
@bravo

I certainly would. I'd choose to fly KLM for a few £ more than squeeze on to Jet2.

wawkrk
27th Jul 2011, 10:04
These fares must only be aimed at Jet2.
If you do LBA to MAD or somewhere else which is one way from LBA, normal fares apply. As most pax are travelling onwards, nothing changes except KLM may scrape a few extra pax from LBA - AMS only.
I bought a return fare to Madrid because it was cheaper than the one way fare and I needed a specific day at the last minute. I had no idea about my eventual return date or in which city I would end my trip. I am returning with Ryanair from another airport and not with KLM.
This happened twice over the last few months.
The locos have really scored with genuine one way fares so you can book a return flight when it suits if you are away for a few extra days or moving around.I find this point the biggest attraction for me.
If you book fully flexible with KLM then then it costs you an arm and a leg.

Phileas Fogg
27th Jul 2011, 14:52
wawkrk,

When KLM refused me a beer telling me no alcohol in economy I was travelling KBP/AMS ticketed with Ukraine International ..... Ukraine International serve beer(s) by the 500ml can!

I too had been in the UIA business class lounge and, like you, a beer had fallen in to my pocket on the way out, by the time they caught me drinking it on board it was too late to stop me.

Thereafter I wrote to UIA complaining that if they are to codeshare with other airlines can they not codeshare with such cowboy outfits as KLM who's level of service is appalling. :)

INKJET
28th Jul 2011, 06:15
The KLM billboards are all over West Yorkshire, so it's a big push, as to costs v Jet2 you would have to go through both booking system to point of payment to get an accurate payment, Jet2 used to be nearly as bad as FR on hidden charges, but the recent moves ( required by the the CAA) have improved this somewhat, although it appears that have change the value of some other items, check out skytrax feed back for the fuss over now charging for drinks when you have pre purchased a meal on board option.

KLM would be the choice if transiting AMS onwards with KLM can you through check luggage ?

I still buy one way tickets and separate onward flights with a Dutch ISP address to avoid the the full APD on long haul flights, but it means I have to build in a delay factor or by a flex ticket which cost more than the additional APD

Danscowpie
28th Jul 2011, 18:44

KLM would be the choice if transiting AMS onwards with KLM can you through check luggage ?

That's the big advantage with KLM, any flight, any route, any fare - you can have your luggage checked and yourself all the way through to final destination.
With Jet 2 you would have to reclaim it then check in again.

When they banned alcohol in economy, I took a small bottle of wine on board from the business lounge. When I was served with my dry on board sandwich, I put the wine on my tray table.

No different from going into a cafe, ordering a cup of coffee and then proceeding to eat your own packed lunch. Why should you be permitted to do so?

I recall several years ago Flybe challenging KLM on a number of UK Regional Airport routes to Amsterdam and other destinations served by KLM. Like Jet 2, Flybe offered cut price fares but no onward connection facilities - within months Flybe had lost a huge amount of cash (rumoured to be close to £1m) and were absolutely stuffed by KLMs superiority in this sector.

I am all for open competition, but I can't help feeling that Jet 2 may well suffer burnt fingers on this one.

TSR2
28th Jul 2011, 19:18
I am all for open competition, but I can't help feeling that Jet 2 may well suffer burnt fingers on this one.

But what proportion of Jet2 passengers travel onwards from AMS ?

wawkrk
28th Jul 2011, 19:54
Danscowpie.

But my point was, KLM paid for my wine. So if you spend 35K a year on travel you expect the same treatment as day trippers?

JSCL
28th Jul 2011, 20:19
One problem is I always find MAN cheaper and more convenient for times.

Was recently looking for a flight which offered KLM is AMS, £150 cheaper PP going MAN rather than LBA?

This promo is promoting one way fares, ie not ongoing I'd assume. So in theory, Jet2 has the advantage on price but for me, KLM advantage on quality.

mikkie4
28th Jul 2011, 22:33
as of next year £23.99 o/w easy jet from southend 2 amsterdam beat that klm!!!!!!