PDA

View Full Version : Is IR/ME Single Pilot rating type-specific?

Trim Stab
26th Jul 2011, 10:28
Hello,

I have Single Pilot IR/ME rating and C525 type-rating.

If I were to do a multi-crew type rating on another type that can also be flown single-pilot (eg C510 Mustang), would I be entitled to fly the other type Single-Pilot? Or do I have to take a Single Pilot test on each type?

Common sense would suggest that I would need to do a single-pilot test on each aircraft, but as far as I can make out from the FCLs, the IR/ME SP rating is not type specific.

bingofuel
26th Jul 2011, 10:37
My understanding is that the SPA/MEIR is valid on all single pilot aircraft, although the recommendation is that the renewal is done on the most complex type you fly.
So technically you can renew your SPA/MEIR on a seneca and use it on a C525, however you still need to do the annual LPC on the C525 so they are generally combined.
I am not sure how you can do a MPA type rating on a SPA such as a mustang, although it can be flown multi crew for AOC operations and in those circumstances both pilots can log the flight accordingly.
If you do an additional type rating on a C510, then you will need an annual LPC on both the C525 and the C510 to fly both

Hope this helps

mad_jock
26th Jul 2011, 11:08
Thats not the way it operates on type ratings from my experence.

You need each one to have a valid type of IR for each type of aircraft for some people they may have 2 one MPA and one SPA for the same type.

The SPA IR ME is valid for MEP class and SEP class ratings.

I think the SPA on a type allows you to fly SPA IR on a SEP.

Hopefully a CRE will be along to explain.

S-Works
26th Jul 2011, 11:56
The IR-SPA-ME allows you to fly any single pilot aircraft, this includes Type rated SPA. It is not restricted to piston types.

You would normally do the IR-SPA-ME renewal in the Type Rated aircraft as being the most complex type. But in cicrumstances where there are no examiners available to do the test in the Type Rated aicraft then you could do the IR part of the test in a MEP and it would still be valid. In the case of our aircraft there only 2 JAA Examiners currently for the type of which I am one of them so it happens quite frequently that I have to renew my IR seperatly from my TR.