PDA

View Full Version : Name change?

tony draper
26th Jul 2011, 10:00
Much in the way of names being discussed in the other place ergo,
One alway wanted to change one's name by deedpole to 'Lance Broadsword' or 'Dirk Claymore' such would more refect one's Scottish/Viking warrior ancestry but reckon one has left it a bit late now.
By what name would prunners both male and female prefer their names to have been to better reflect their self image??
:rolleyes

OFSO
26th Jul 2011, 10:35
Had a guy at work universally known as "Smoothie" Coupe. Because he was.

Rush2112
26th Jul 2011, 11:44
For many generations, the eldest boy on my father's side was named "Dennis". On my paternal grandmothers', the eldest child would be either August or Augusta, hence my father is Dennis August. I am the oldest male so I should have been Dennis August also, but my mother hated both names and I got "Richard". Kind of used to it now.

That said, when my parents divorced and my mother remarried a tyrannical, overbearing, vicious and insanely jealous pencil-dick who would not allow my father within 20 miles of the house (made my brother's and my occasional weekend passes rather difficult), it was probably better that I didn't have my father's name.

We took afore-mentioned ar$ehole's surname when he and mother married - it seemed it might help him accept us at the time, wrong - and I always swore that when I was old enough I would change it back to my birth name, but by that time, all my O Levels and A Levels, bank account, Barclaycard, job etc were in the new name, it just got too difficult to consider. Also my kid brother was still living at home and having a hard enough time with ar$ehole as it was without making things worse.

Now, I am married to a Muslim lady from Indonesia and I think it would be funny for her to be married to a guy named "Bacon". It certainly always amuses me when we give a goat to the mosque at Hari Raya Hadji and the unfortunate goat is slaughtered on behalf of "Richard bin Dennis Bacon".

vulcanised
26th Jul 2011, 12:51
Read a report yesterday regarding a rape carried out by one Mr Goodwillie.

You couldn't make it up!

Ancient Observer
26th Jul 2011, 15:51
I cannot claim that this person actually wanted the name change, but one of my previous bosses was well known across a multi-national corporation as Mr C***, ( a commonly used rude word to describe a part of the female anatomy). The Americans found it strange at first, but got used to it. the Asians found it all a bit embarassing.

Tankertrashnav
26th Jul 2011, 16:31
Always fancied a hyphenated name. Never sure how it works down the line - for example when Hilary Rodham-Clinton's kids get married, do they tag another surname on and make a triple name?

There was an Captain in the Lincolnshire Regiment who was killed in late 1914, by the name of Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudati Filius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache. Rumour has it that he was hit by a very large bullet ;)

T T-N.

Parapunter
26th Jul 2011, 16:32
I was watching the Motorhead documentary last night, in which Lemmy relates how as a young lad, he worked as a painter & decorator for a while for a little gay guy named Mr. Brownsword...

SpringHeeledJack
26th Jul 2011, 16:43
That was a very enjoyable peek into the heavy metal world, Lemmy came across well, all in all. I worked with a chap named Glasscock (titter, titter) and the poor chap had a very well rehearsed speech to explain the history of his family.

Mr Draper should keep his nom de vie, as people might think he was the man behind the tool company well known in the UK with the weekend warrior DIY'ers :8

SHJ

Shack37
26th Jul 2011, 16:51
There was an Captain in the Lincolnshire Regiment who was killed in late 1914, by the name of Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudati Filius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache. Rumour has it that he was hit by a very large bullet http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

Just hope his headstone never falls on anyone.

Sir George Cayley
26th Jul 2011, 17:04
I quite fancy changing to -
Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel:)

2nd thoughts I'll stick with the family name :ok:

SGC

603DX
26th Jul 2011, 18:18
My given name is serviceable, but not particularly memorable. Have sometimes hankered after something a bit more fancy, perhaps like the magistrate we had in Kent a few years back, who was blessed (or cursed, some might say) with the handle Tristram de la Poer Beresford, Esq. Must have almost been a pleasure to be sent down by a "beak" with such a resounding monicker ...

Another temptingly exotic label that clearly didn't please its rightful owner is Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes, Bart. I once attended an evening lecture given by this famous explorer, and bought a copy of the book on his white water rafting expeditions that was being promoted. He signed my copy for me, and I noted that he simply put "Ran Fiennes", the name he prefers to be known by. What a waste, just imagine the raised eyebrows if you presented your plastic card at the checkout in Sainsbury's with that sort of triple-barrelled appellation on it.

iws
26th Jul 2011, 18:37
It's even worse if one has a choice of names. I have a minor inherited Title
"Lord of...." which I have on some of my bank cards. It is seldom that it is noticed at the likes of Sainsburys as the checkout people never read the name as long as the PIN matches. I have been asked a couple of times if the card was a business card for a Pub!

Generally changing a name (or having an alternative) causes more trouble than it is worth especially in these days of money laundering regulations etc.
Even the TV licensing wanted two licenses for my address...

Parapunter
26th Jul 2011, 18:47
I thought Lemmy cut a slightly sad figure SHJ & I must wonder about that apartment - surely he's got a few bob?

Anyway, I was at school with a Georgina Clamp. I would imagine she couldn't wait to shed that name.

muppetbum
26th Jul 2011, 19:20
Quote "I quite fancy changing to -
Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel'

Sir George , wouldn't that be " slightly silly" !? ;)

SpringHeeledJack
26th Jul 2011, 19:38
When not masquerading as Mr Jack here, one is known as Sir Egbut Nobacon.

I thought Lemmy cut a slightly sad figure SHJ & I must wonder about that apartment - surely he's got a few bob?

I know what you mean, my view was from him being the persona 'Lemmy' and the whole circus that goes with it. I suppose that the 'home' isn't so important to a dyed in the wool rocker who is probably on the road a lot and the rest of the time he's living the life. Perhaps he's big into the financial markets and likes to keep things liquid :p

SHJ

Manchikeri
26th Jul 2011, 19:53
On another section of this board I have just been rather rudely christened Yoda.

I like it, but I don't think the intention was particularly complimentary. I used to rejoice in the name of Hugh Jampton when I contributed to the Archers' message boards, though.

AlpineSkier
26th Jul 2011, 20:02
@603 DX - re Fiennes

In a recent interview I read, he said that he does that in order to be able to sign ( i.e. sell ) more books in the time allotted,

con-pilot
26th Jul 2011, 20:35
I was going to change my name to Bill Gates and move to Seattle.

But then I found that wouldn't work, I'm a lot taller than Bill Gates. :(

;)

vulcanised
26th Jul 2011, 20:51
Sir George , wouldn't that be " slightly silly"

That's eggsackly what I thought when I read that.

Tarquin fer gawdsake!

Desert Dingo
27th Jul 2011, 01:39
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/d.dingo/mustapha.jpg

Parapunter
27th Jul 2011, 06:18
SHJ, I take it all back - I watched it in two halves & only saw the end of it last night. All in all, I would swap with the man like a shot. Not a bad life being adored by millions.

Wonder how Ian turned into Lemmy whilst we're on the subject?:)

Slasher
27th Jul 2011, 07:06
Really glad I don't have a hyphenated surname, which would
sort've indicate mum couldn't decide who my real dad was.

pvmw
27th Jul 2011, 07:37
There is a hamlet in Gloucestershire called "Stanley Pontlarge" (famous for being the home of L T C Rolt.)

Stanley Pontlarge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Pontlarge)

When first I saw it I thought it must be someone's name - one feels it should be!!!

Slasher
27th Jul 2011, 07:41
Hmm.....that gives me a thought - I rather fancy a name like
"Stanley C0cklarge" if I ever want to change my present one!

Exascot
27th Jul 2011, 10:07
Really glad I don't have a hyphenated surname

You want to try having one that has De La at the beginning then double barreled after that. Even running the first name all into one and just making it double barreled is a problem in this computerised age.

And, yes I know who my father is cos the first half is my mother's maiden name and second my father's surname ;)

oldshuck
27th Jul 2011, 12:32
Once worked with a Mr. Glasscock. he was known throughout the company as Brittledick.

unstable load
1st Aug 2011, 10:12
Fellow called Allcock played cricket for Zimbabwe and he prompted my late Dad to berate him as "Allcock and no brains" after some cricketing silliness against Safrica.

603DX
1st Aug 2011, 10:31
Connoisseurs of the filthy joke have long been grateful for the surnames of the pair of intrepid aviators who first flew the Atlantic in their Vimy ... :=

Henry09
1st Aug 2011, 10:45
I happen to have a car registration that is exactly the same as my surname and it only cost me 15 British pounds ...for the change of name.

yours sincerely

Mr Henry TWD347T