PDA

View Full Version : 747 Classic Training with Aus ATPL

Fission
26th Jul 2011, 03:56
Has anyone recently got a 747 Classic Rating with an Aus ATPL?

I've been directed towards the USA, but I can't get a clear answer on whether the security requirements are going to give a 3 month delay even before I get started!

It's not for flying in Aus, nor the USA.

It's worth a Free Beer if you can help out !

The Green Goblin
26th Jul 2011, 03:58
PM 18 Wheeler, he was flying them until the GFC.

18-Wheeler
26th Jul 2011, 04:37
Ta, TGG.
I did in 1995 when things were a touch more sane, sensible, and easy.
I don't know who you have to **** these days to get it done.
Anyway all I did was show the department all the training records & details of what I did with the Northwest course in Minneapolis (I also have a US CPL that I did the training on at that time) and they were happy to add 747 to my Aussie licence.
It was free then, I would hazard a guess that these days it's a several million dollars to get anything like that done on your licence, and a 300 - 400 year waiting period.

Fission
26th Jul 2011, 04:48
Thanks for the comments gents. From where I'm sitting, I need to have either an FAA licence, or a Aus licence, with the Rating.

However, since I have no FAA licences whatsoever, I can't even go over and do the training, apparantly. Unless anyone knows otherwise.

PLovett
26th Jul 2011, 04:58
Fission, I presume you are referring to the TSA requirements for training in the USA.

Last year I investigated doing a transport class aircraft endorsement in the USA and did some investigation into the various categories of visa and security required but unfortunately I do not have the details to hand.

From memory it was easier if you were being sent there by an employer but if not the hoops and hurdles were a bit more complicated. However, one of the companies I contacted to do the training advised that they can organise the clearances but need some advance notice. I suspect this is the case with the majority of training providers.

If you are getting the endorsement on your own initiative be cautious. There are several 747 classic training providers (at very reasonable cost - better than most corporate jet endorsement costs) but not all are licensed by the US government to provide training to overseas students. Check this (http://www.ice.gov/sevis/map/approvedschoolsmap.htm) web site.

If I have misunderstood your question I apologise for wasting your time.

OK, I have now seen your additional post. I understood that if I had continued with my project I would also have been gaining an FAA licence as part of the deal. The training provider I contacted also referred to this requirement and, no, the endorsement I was looking at wasn't a B747 classic.

zlin77
26th Jul 2011, 06:55
Do your FAA Initial medical in Aus....you can do your ATR Theory course and exam in just a few days in The States...Your final SIM check ride can be for the issue of The U.S. ATR...paperwork submitted to Oklahoma...licence arrives in post 2-3 weeks later....Submit everything to CASA with form 135(?), pay processing fee, $130?...all done..

Fission
26th Jul 2011, 07:04
PLovett and zlin77, thanks for your input. Your interpretation represents one of the accounts I've heard.

In that case, why the reference to 45-90 days for TSA clearance ?

JMEN
26th Jul 2011, 07:27
Anything over 5700kg requires TSA clearance.

Hence the 30-45 days to apply.

Only way around it is to do a rating in another country that CASA recognises. Do the rating, get the paperwork, submit to CASA and onto the Aus Lic...

Malaysia, Canada, Europe...

But alas there goes the advantage of the cheap yankee rating!

aussie027
26th Jul 2011, 08:27
Fission,
mate have a look at these links, they may answer a few Q for you regarding TSA requirements etc.
Good luck.:ok:

AOPA Online: AOPA's Guide to TSA's Alien Flight Training/Citizenship Validation Rule (http://www.aopa.org/tsa_rule/)

TSA Training Requirements | FlightSafety International Inc. (http://www.flightsafety.com/fs_tsa_index.php)

https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/afsp2/?acct_type=c&section=AG

Fission
26th Jul 2011, 10:06
Thanks guys - some good information to work with

Monopole
27th Jul 2011, 04:38
Also remember that you WILL need a visa permit. Issued after an interview at the US Embasy.

This one took me by suprise when I was looking at going to the USA. You dont normally require a Visa for travel between Aust and the US, but the fine print says you do if you are a male between 18 and 65 travelling to America for flight training (unless they have changed it within the last 5 years).

3 Holer
27th Jul 2011, 07:05
To even be considering paying for a 747 Classic rating with your own hard earned, you must have a job lined up. In which case get your employer to help you out with visa permits and sponsorship.

If on the other hand you are undertaking this exercise "on spec", get ready for some real heartache.

JMEN
27th Jul 2011, 13:31
Obviously check for yourself.

When I went 4 years ago no requirement for VISA, but that was not for an aircraft over 5700kg.

Any luck looking around Canada, Malaysia or any other ICAO nations, one way around the TSA!:8