PDA

View Full Version : Conversion??

EL_NINO
25th Jul 2011, 19:24
Hi all,

I am currently an Electrical Engineer for a large food manufacturing company. I have achieved all levels up to and including HND in electrical and electronic engineering. I also have qualifications in many technical areas including computer programming, Hydraulics, Pneumatics and pump/pump control systems. By the way i am 32 years of age.

Now here is my question. For years since i was at school i dreamt of being an aircraft engineer of some sorts. I never persued it due to commitments and went down the industrial engineering route. I deeply regret it and still chase the dream to this day. So, with the qualifications i have got, and general studies of aircraft and systems, how could i convert and who would give me the opportunity? I understand i may need to become a senior apprentice again, but hey, i dont mind.

Role would be line maintenance or anything really in the Uk.

Thanks in advance

Rigga
25th Jul 2011, 21:14
El,

These are the standard answers to your query, please don't take them personal as this is just how it is.

Recruitment of new employees is near to nil at the moment - you would have to join as an apprentice at best.

If you are on what you think is a good wage - stick to what you're doing. The pay-drop is bound to be "inhibitive".

Even with all your current qualifications you can't work (on your own) on any aircraft. You need to attend an approved training course in an approved training school to get into the approved way of working.

If you manage to get through that and you have the good fortune to find a job, you may have to spend up to 5 years to get good pay.

This change is not likely to be advisable at this stage of your career.

EL_NINO
27th Jul 2011, 17:27
Thanks Rigga for your reply.

Current salary is above 30K so unsure what level of salary is available. Heard on the grapevine, unless you are a contractor then the money earn't is not too good, which i find remarkable for the job the aircraft engineers do. My source was an engineer for Air 2000 in the day andd eventually decided to go contracting where the money was. Obviousley money is an option but for the love of aircraft and my dream, is it the right way to go.

Again thanks for your reply.