View Full Version : EU-ETS and House of Representatives

Mike Echo
25th Jul 2011, 08:54
For those those who might not have seen it this was in Aviation International News on Friday. The full hearing is on Wednesday. In my opinion (fairly minor)it's all far too late. I can't see the EU taking much notice. It might have had more effect is it had been started 18 months ago.

House Transportation Leaders Launch Attack on EU-ETS
Legislation was introduced in the House of Representatives yesterday that would ban U.S. air carriers from participating in the European Union’s emissions trading scheme. The EU plans to impose a costly “carbon tax” on any civil aviation operators landing or departing from EU airports beginning on January 1. All civil aircraft would be forced to participate in the EU-ETS despite the objections of the U.S. government and now Congress. “This unjust European Union emissions trading scheme is a clear violation of international law that puts U.S. air carriers at a competitive disadvantage, kills U.S. aviation jobs and may lead to a trade war,” said Rep. John Mica (R-Fla.), chairman of the House Transportation Committee. The U.S. formally lodged protests at world climate meetings in Oslo, and members of Congress confronted EU leaders on the matter in other recent meetings. The bill also instructs U.S. officials to negotiate or take any action necessary to ensure U.S. operators are not penalized by any unilaterally imposed EU-ETS. NBAA said the House bill would also apply to business aviation flights to or from Europe.

merlinxx
25th Jul 2011, 09:19
All the more reason to get the heck out of Europe and down to OZ:ugh:

His dudeness
25th Jul 2011, 09:23
The question is, why are the crybabies (americans) making so much fuzz about it, when in reverse they:
1) make going to train in the US a major logistic nightmare (Visa etc)
2) take an entry fee which we don´t
3) demand visa where we don´t (business visa to train etc)
4) make flying to the US in a private aircraft a major logistic nightmare
5) fingerprint us when we don´t fingerprint them
6) don´t understand that the EU Airlines pay the same ETS stuff than they will, so there is no 'unfair'
7) etcetc.

OTOH I´m not in favour of ETS and especially the way it is worked out with a typical European approach to equal the weight of the CO2 output by printed paper....

All the more reason to get the heck out of Europe and down to OZ :D

Mike Echo
28th Jul 2011, 09:43
If anybody is interested the hearing transcipts can be found at;

Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, Republicans Hearing :: The European Union's Emissions Trading Scheme: A Violation of International Law (http://transportation.house.gov/hearings/hearingdetail.aspx?NewsID=1355)

M.E.

NuName
28th Jul 2011, 09:59
The "Dude" makes valid points even though none of us like the ETS.

Mike Echo
28th Jul 2011, 11:04
I too agree with all the points of "The Dude" but have a strong dislike of the EU-ETS and the way it is imposed. I just keep collecting the data until somebody tells me otherwise.
M.E.

cambioso
28th Jul 2011, 16:02
Has anyone else noticed a complete "radio silence" from the ETS mob?
Time was when we would get an email a day from loads of different people in "ETS La La Land" but for the last 6 months ...... Nothing.
I'm not complaining of course!!
Jez
Maybe they've been scrapped by the economy drive?