PDA

View Full Version : The TSA - Again !

ExSp33db1rd
25th Jul 2011, 01:47
I'm often reviled in pages of PPRuNe - especially by those of American origin - for agreeing that the present farce of so-called "Airport Security" is an oxymoron.

2 days ago I flew from Honolulu to Los Angeles, and on arrival at LAX noticed that my specially purchased TSA approved lock, the combination type with a keyhole to allow ( only ? )the TSA to open ones' baggage, was missing. A leaflet inside my baggage advised that it was indeed the TSA who had done this.

OK, the TSA have only cost me a new lock, but ..... they then loaded my bag on to the aircraft not only unsecured, but with a hand-grenade sized open slit in the zip fastener !

TSA interested in "Air Transport Security " ??? I believe in Father Christmas. too.

I rest my case.

bugg smasher
25th Jul 2011, 02:32
Sir, I have never, not once, reviled you. I object, in the strongest of terms!

The Authorities are protecting this country to the best of their ability. Thank heavens the hole in your bag was only 'hand-grenade' sized, they could have visited something much sloppier on you.

Just ask DSK.

Um... lifting...
25th Jul 2011, 02:40
My experience with the "special key" found my key-style TSA lock drilled in 3 places with a high-speed drill (this on a domestic trip), which, after opening, the lock fell to pieces in my hands.

Internationally, on a bag with zip fasteners, some lummox outside the U.S. felt it would be expedient to nip off the metal pull tabs on the fasteners. The locks are pointless.

I now place a printed copy of my bag inventory in the bag and carry a duplicate. Things such as my headset come in my carryon bag.

They still open my bag, but they don't seem to fondle my possessions anymore.

SASless
25th Jul 2011, 04:19
The one thing we can all agree upon regardless of national origin.....is the TSA is one very huge expensive joke and travesty!

Even the very professional and dedicated TSA folks (and I have met a few in my travels) are held prisoner to policies issued by [email protected]!

If you want to watch an impromptu comedy.....single out one of the TSA folks and demand to see a Supervisor....and upon meeting said Supervisor....offer up a compliment about the TSA person to the Supervisor. Suggest the TSA person be recommeneded for a Merit Step Pay Increase for his Professional Skill and Courtesy. The Sup's eyes will cross,his lips will quiver.....and he will beginn to perspire! When you ask for the phone number of his Boss Fellah so you can follow up on his report.....wait for the smell of fresh poop!

Guerilla warfare can be so much fun!

innuendo
25th Jul 2011, 04:22
There must a thriving market in second hand/recycled TSA approved combination locks. I have contributed two so far. Bah.:*

Keef
25th Jul 2011, 09:10
Knowing that the TSA will lose their keys but not their bolt-croppers, the only solution is not to lock your bags. This puts your entire suitcase contents at the mercy of the miscellaneous petty crims who have "security passes" to go where you cannot, but at least the bags have a passing chance at survival.

Ancient Observer
25th Jul 2011, 12:19
Keef,

Aren't you supposed to think well of your fellow humans?

I guess even the best theories can be overcome by experience.

Blacksheep
25th Jul 2011, 13:34
Security now require an approved suitcase combination lock that they can unlock? How absurd. I'm still baffled as to how taking my fingerprints and scanning my eyes contributes to the safety and welfare of the citizens of the USA, but rifling through my clothes as well? Why? Aren't the x-rays and sniffer dogs any use?

In the olden days a Customs and Excise officer would rifle through travellers' suitcases at the point of entry, I'm sure they could arrange to do it at the point of departure as well.

mixture
25th Jul 2011, 13:39
Keef,

This puts your entire suitcase contents at the mercy of the miscellaneous petty crims who have "security passes" to go where you cannot, but at least the bags have a passing chance at survival.

Unless you are someone who regularly travels to the more questionable corners of this earth, I think this is a myth that needs to be debunked.

Having had a lock break during early 2010, I decided not to replace it and just to leave my luggage unlocked. I've yet to have anything stolen, and I've yet to see any evidence of people looking through my luggage.

Just think about it for a minute. The sheer volumes of luggage that pass through an airport and the turnaround times required for loading/offloading. I think you'll agree it would your average crim would not be able to identify, rifle through and conceal findings in suitable time.

Anyone official with a criminal bend will have access to bolt cutters anyway.

Um... lifting...
25th Jul 2011, 15:08
In the olden days a Customs and Excise officer would rifle through travellers' suitcases at the point of entry, I'm sure they could arrange to do it at the point of departure as well.

This is done in Nigeria. Large tables are in place for this purpose and the Customs chaps sling about one's goods hither and yon. It has proven to be useful to be social with these fellows.

"Have you anything in your bags to declare? Artifacts, antiquities, carvings?"

(this in hopes of getting a bribe as your carving you saw the fellow make is declared a rare national antiquity)

"No, just clothing. Sadly, the girl who is my house steward has been down with malaria for the last week, so the laundry has not been done, and I had some bad fish soup just the other day..."

(hands leap from your belongings like a conjurer's trick)

"Enjoy your flight, Sir."

bingofuel
25th Jul 2011, 16:00
After having had a lovely lady from a well known british airline show me how easy it was to open and resecure a zip bag and leave no trace, I will never put a zip bag in as checked luggage.

It took seconds to open and reseal, scary!

chuks
25th Jul 2011, 19:15
Umm, when they 'come in [your] carryon bag,' doesn't that make a real mess?

ExXB
25th Jul 2011, 19:26
After having had a lovely lady from a well known british airline show me how easy it was to open and resecure a zip bag and leave no trace, I will never put a zip bag in as checked luggage.

It took seconds to open and reseal, scary!

You don't mean like this: ‪How to Open A Zipped Luggage‬‏ - YouTube

bingofuel
25th Jul 2011, 19:55
Yes, makes locking bags pointless!

stuckgear
25th Jul 2011, 20:38
Unless you are someone who regularly travels to the more questionable corners of this earth, I think this is a myth that needs to be debunked.

i've had it happen twice.. CDG both times one of the occasions the case turned up relocked but with literally half the contents missing expensive clothing through to my company cheque book...

a friend of mine was refused boarding with a laptop (2 weeks old) at frankfurt, on his way to london Via CDG and was told he would have to put it in his checked luggage.. whaddya know. it was missing on arrival.

it was a work provided lappy and he had to pay his company back for it.

visibility3miles
25th Jul 2011, 21:03
Checking for hazards:
A Transportation Security Administration officer charged with stealing watches from luggage at Los Angeles International Airport was allegedly tripped up when one of the timepieces was put up for sale on EBay, officials said.

According to the federal indictment handed down last week, the worker stole an IWC GST chrono perpetual calendar moonphase watch valued at roughly $15,000, a Breitling Crosswind watch valued at about $5,000, a $1,000 Antima watch, a $1,000 Movado watch as well as a $1,000 pre-paid debit card...

...[delete] is alleged to have stolen the items from luggage going through security at LAX’s Terminal 1, the U.S. district attorney’s office said.

...an investigation revealed the $15,000 watch had been sold to a jewelry store that had tried to sell the item on EBay. The owner of the watch noticed it was listed on the website, prompting the investigation...
TSA worker who stole from LAX luggage was tripped by EBay, officials say - latimes.com (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/07/tsa-worker-who-stole-watches-from-luggage-at-lax-tripped-by-ebay-authorities-allege.html)

stuckgear
25th Jul 2011, 21:33
aaaand..

Pablo honey, come to Florida.. TSA agent Nelson Santiago-Serrano stole passenger's iPad and $50k in stolen luggage | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2012475/TSA-agent-Nelson-Santiago-Serrano-stole-passengers-iPad-50k-stolen-luggage.html)

New Yawk.. TSA Officers Will Lose Jobs Following Theft From Luggage at JFK - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-16/tsa-officers-will-lose-jobs-following-theft-from-luggage-at-jfk.html)

Newark, New Joisey.. Newark TSA officer pleads guilty to theft from passengers | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/14/us-airport-bribes-idUSTRE71D72V20110214)

back over to left coast... Seattle.. Randy Pepper: Seattle TSA Supervisor Admits Luggage Theft | NowPublic News Coverage (http://www.nowpublic.com/world/randy-pepper-seattle-tsa-supervisor-admits-luggage-theft-2651687.html)

houston, philly chicago... TSA Theft of Passenger Valuables a Nationwide Problem « Hot Air (http://hotair.com/archives/2011/06/20/tsa-theft-of-passenger-valuables-a-nationwide-problem/)

ExSp33db1rd
25th Jul 2011, 23:40
Just think about it for a minute. The sheer volumes of luggage that pass through an airport and the turnaround times required for loading/offloading. I think you'll agree it would your average crim would not be able to identify, rifle through and conceal findings in suitable time.

No problem, remember 'Thiefrow' ? Loaders were stealing shoes, they turned up for work in a scruffy pair, rifled through suitcases until they found a nice pair of the right size, swapped them and walked off carrying nothing that made them look suspicious. 'course it was in the days when bags were loaded individually into the hold, they reckoned that the guy inside the hold taking bags off the conveyor needed 30 secs. and the conveyor never stopped, but I guess nowadays when containers are loaded out of sight of the public they have more time ? but then they're all honest, so no problem.

Even around the time that the TSA were attacking me, Fox News ( or was it CNN ? they all seem the same to me ) reported that one of their staff, a lady journalist, had lost $11,000 worth of jewellery whilst passing through Newark last week, and commented that if they can take it out, just think what they can put in ?

( I think if I had $11k worth of jewellery, hold baggage would be the last place to stow it, but I guess it takes all sorts )

Um... lifting...
26th Jul 2011, 01:39
Umm, when they 'come in [your] carryon bag,' doesn't that make a real mess? Certainly no more than one with an English Plan of Concentration in his declining years (with forays into sculpture, photography, womyn's studies and modern dance) is making of the language of late.

Dear fellow, if items aren't sent on separately, but they accompany one (such as in a carry-on bag as opposed to the checked baggage hold), they come, not go.

The late lamented Foster Brooks once suggested that innuendo was the Italian form of Preparation H.

Lantern10
26th Jul 2011, 02:33
If you want to watch an impromptu comedy.....single out one of the TSA folks and demand to see a Supervisor....and upon meeting said Supervisor....offer up a compliment about the TSA person to the Supervisor. Suggest the TSA person be recommeneded for a Merit Step Pay Increase for his Professional Skill and Courtesy. The Sup's eyes will cross,his lips will quiver.....and he will beginn to perspire! When you ask for the phone number of his Boss Fellah so you can follow up on his report.....wait for the smell of fresh poop!

Guerilla warfare can be so much fun!

Love this, might even try it next trip.:D

Slasher
22nd Aug 2011, 10:38
http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2010/11/venn-diagram-TSA-hookers.png