PDA

View Full Version : Things that make you go "EUGH...YUK"

SoundBarrier
24th Jul 2011, 22:01
While chomping on some much needed food the other day I felt this weird bit of texture in my mouth further investigation (by the tongue) determines it is hair. I then pull the long hair from my mouth, while still trying to masticate but the texture and thought put me off all together. :bored:

What things put you off your fodda?

con-pilot
24th Jul 2011, 22:04
Real long hairs don't really bother me all that much, I just point the hair out and demand a new dish of food.

However, finding short curly hairs in my food, bothers me a lot. :uhoh:

west lakes
24th Jul 2011, 22:07
c-p I expected you to say Brussels Sprouts :\

(yeah, hat coat etc.)

green granite
24th Jul 2011, 22:07
Fish bones, if I get one in my mouth that's it end of meal.

con-pilot
24th Jul 2011, 22:16
c-p I expected you to say Brussels Sprouts

Ah yes, but you see I can recognize a Brussels Sprout at 100 yards, no matter what disguise they are under. Many a poor former waiters have suffered my reaction upon being served a Brussels Sprout by said former waiters. :suspect:

It's not pretty.

Shack37
24th Jul 2011, 23:00
Hairs, long or short (and curly)...no problem, just remove and carry on.
Fishbones....as above.............but just let the old gnashers crunch into an unseen lump of gristly fat and fellow diners should take cover.:yuk:

Capetonian
24th Jul 2011, 23:29
The sight and smell of people eating mussels, clams, oysters, and similar makes me feel sick.

tony draper
24th Jul 2011, 23:43
I cant stand coffee made with milk, just the thought of it makes me gag,it gets that horrible skin on it that sticks to your lip and a utterly revolting taste.
The trouble was when I was doing domestic service calls the lady of the house would offer you a tea or a coffee and being a service engineer this was of course never refused but the lady would sometimes appear from the kitchen bearing this horrible brew instead of honest tea or coffee made with honest tapwater,many a pot plant on my patch got a cup of coffee flavoured warm milk to drink ,the worse type of lady was those that stood watching for you to take a sip and nod your approval.
Makes me shudder just to think about it.
:uhoh:

parabellum
24th Jul 2011, 23:47
Eating a rather nice goulash in a hotel in the Middle East one evening came upon something very chewy, it was a first aid finger plaster!
Appetite totally gone. Same with fish bones, hate them.

Funniest Home Videos, why do some people think it funny to see a baby/child throw up or lose half its bodily fluids down its nose? Beats me:yuk:.

ShyTorque
25th Jul 2011, 00:03
My other half screamed the restaurant down when her Caesar salad suddenly began jumping (only the lower third, she'd eaten the rest of it).

There, under a large lettuce leaf, was a two and a half inch long, bright green grasshopper. I put a napkin over the dish but I certainly didn't need to call the waiter!

Boy, were they worried, especially as we held the attention of the entire restaurant! The manager came mincing out and didn't believe it at all until he saw the lettuce leaf hopping up the side of the dish for himself.

I've not laughed so much since.

And we got a free meal out of it.:ok:

Mike X
25th Jul 2011, 00:07
What's with the fish bone stories ? Kids hate fish bones.

Snoek, in all its forms, is delicious. Bones for Africa. Never heard anyone complain about sole. Acquire the technique and you'll be fine. :)

V2-OMG!
25th Jul 2011, 00:31
Vietnamese "Geritol." Those glasses of freshly-squeezed snake blood they sell on the streets of Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.

I wonder if they arrange tours for vampires?

SASless
25th Jul 2011, 01:03
Brussells Sprouts......LOVE'EM!

Con....trust me on this.....next time you do BBQ Ribs on the grill.....and there's lots of BBQ sauce simmering on the grill....put the Sprouts on the grill and give them a good cooking and get the sauce all over'em. I recommend Sweet Baby Ray's sauce for a start....and see how it goes for you!

Even drunken boat trash meat and taters only eaters love'em!

Hydromet
25th Jul 2011, 01:30
Pumpkin - fit only for cattle feed. And cabbage - fit only for compost.

Worrals in the wilds
25th Jul 2011, 03:55
Kidneys. I think they smell awful. :yuk:
Snake wine always looks very alarming, with all the scales floating around in the bottle.

Bushfiva
25th Jul 2011, 05:51
Ika odori don:

‪The Dancing Squid Sushi Bowl‬‏ - YouTube

Krystal n chips
25th Jul 2011, 06:06
In no particular order : gherkins...vile !...piccalilli....equally vile !...cucumber...as previously mentioned...old grainy swede...fish bones and fish, even when in batter, that has the texture of being an Icelandic Cod War veteran...undercooked chicken / sausage....and spam fritters ( a legacy of RAF culinary "skills"..) Rollmops ( unless soaked in schnapps...at which point, they are very palatable )

Other than that, just your average omnivore.

V2-OMG!
25th Jul 2011, 06:53
RE: Dancing Squid Fish Bowl

I wouldn't eat that if I were you. :eek:

‪Alien - Extended Chestburster‬‏ - YouTube

Capetonian
25th Jul 2011, 07:11
Brussel sprouts are like Marmite and marzipan, love or hate. I love all three, I can eat marzipan until I feel sick and still carry on.

Liver, now there's a yuck, specially 'pate de foie gras' because of the barbaric cruelty involved in its production, I refuse to eat at restaurants that feature it.

troppo
25th Jul 2011, 07:16
Where cat sits happily on the menu | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/international/5337677/Where-cat-sits-happily-on-the-menu)

:yuk:

Akrotiri71
25th Jul 2011, 09:02
Macedoine de Legumes...:yuk:
I often wondered what happened to those pools of sick that one saw in shop doorways whilst going to get the papers on a Sunday morning.

The SSK
25th Jul 2011, 09:14
Iím with Tony D when it comes to the skin on coffee made with milk Ė or on custard, not that Iíve had custard for more years than I can count.

There are a few things I wonít eat on animal-welfare grounds, like frogs legs (although Iíve eaten and enjoyed them in the past). And there are some chewy things like tripe and snails which just donít reward the effort. But the only thing that makes me gag is brain Ė I love the flavour but I canít get my head around what Iím eating. Brain flavoured crisps might be nice.

sitigeltfel
25th Jul 2011, 09:22
I will happily shovel away most scran (excepting the weed called celery), but the sight of someone at the next table festooned with tattoos is appetite suppressing.

Solid Rust Twotter
25th Jul 2011, 09:37
Also have the fish bone thing. If I have to remove one from my mouth that's the end of the meal. Refuse to eat trout for that reason (and the fact it's a flavourless waste of protein). If I can fillet a fish properly I see no reason restaurant or shop staff are unable to get it right.

Sprouts and Marmite are no problem but marzipan is always a little sickeningly sweet. Generally pretty omnivorous but see no point in sucking the meat off tiny bones for sustenance. Ribs, unless of the large variety, are a waste of time as is oxtail. Cooking up three pounds of oxtail in order to discard two and three quarter pounds of bones is a futile exercise.

tony draper
25th Jul 2011, 09:48
Not exactly yuk,one likes a good chilly but those utterly tasteless red beans people insist on adding lend absolutely nohing whatsoever to the dish so they annoy me and one is obliged to shuffle em all the side of the plate.

radeng
25th Jul 2011, 10:01
I can taste and do like the red kidney beans.....

But tripe, heart (it's the texture), octopus sushimi, chitterlings, andouilette, brains and sheeps eyes are all on my yeuk list. Also frogs legs (texture again)and I'm not that keen on snails. I like steak tartare, but all too often, it doesn't like me. Don't fancy testicles either.

parabellum
25th Jul 2011, 11:13
but marzipan is always a little sickeningly sweet

After WW2, rationing still in place, Mum used to make marzipan using semolina, almond essence, margarine, (I think) and about half the sugar it said in the recipe. As we grew up on it it was the only way and 'shop' marzipan was always too sweet for us.

Sallyann1234
25th Jul 2011, 12:18
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/09/12/article-1054873-02A013B100000578-284_468x724.jpg

Ancient Observer
25th Jul 2011, 12:21
1. Seaweed cucumber.
2. Sliced pigs ear
3. Cheap chicken which has been fed on fish paste, and therefore tastes of fish.

Parapunter
25th Jul 2011, 12:26
Lamb. I have never been able to get on with Lamb, mutton or anything from Sheepies and I'm reasonably adventorous, I'll try pretty much anything, but to me, Lamb is fatty, greasy & reeks. Not my cup of tea at all.

Storminnorm
25th Jul 2011, 12:27
Used to buy eggs locally many years ago that started to taste of fish.
Despite complaints to the egg man the taste got worse.
Stopped buying eggs off that particular bloke.

vulcanised
25th Jul 2011, 12:44
I am a coffeeholic and have been for 50 years.

However, I hardly ever drank it up to age 16 because my mother always made it with boiled milk and I didn't even know there was an alternative way until I started work.

These days, the sight or smell of bananas makes me feel ill.

Blacksheep
25th Jul 2011, 13:17
I don't eat pigs, dogs, cats or balut, but apart from that I'll eat just about anything. Oh, and jellied eels. Only fit for Cockneys, they are.

Worrals in the wilds
25th Jul 2011, 14:48
Cooking up three pounds of oxtail in order to discard two and three quarter pounds of bones is a futile exercise. Kangaroo tail is also like that. You have to boil it for about three days until the meat comes off the bone, and end up with a kitchen that smells like a kangaroo and a weak broth that doesn't really taste of anything. It's not 'Yuk' so much as 'why bother?' OTOH 'roo fillets are gamey and quite decent if you marinate them, dunno why the tails are so bland.

tony draper
25th Jul 2011, 14:56
Dunno how anybody can eat tongue,it comes from a animals mouth
I'd rather have a egg.

The old one's is the best:rolleyes:

ShyTorque
25th Jul 2011, 15:19
The old one's is the best

I prefer fresh eggs. :p

The supermarket eggs we used to eat were watery, insipid and also tasted fishy; the main reason we got our own hens. I reckon the fishy taste probably comes from fish offal in the hens' feedstuff.

These days all our eggs come from our own free-ranging hens. As well as what they find to eat (not many slugs in the garden now), they also get fed on GM free layers's pellets because they need the calcium as they lay almost every day. We let them eat grass when we can, the egg yolks definitely improve in yellow colour because of it. In the winter they get whatever greens (cabbage, sprouts etc) we can find going cheap (cheep).

tony draper
25th Jul 2011, 15:57
I have a good egg supplier,huge they are, half of them double yolkers,they make the corner shop eggs look pretty weedy,must hurt the chickens bums though.

Capetonian
25th Jul 2011, 16:02
I have a good egg supplier,huge they are, half of them double yolkers,.........must hurt the chickens bums though.

Do you know how the ostrich got it's name?

Ever seen one lay an egg ........... they're arse stretching! Hence the ostrich is closely related to the rhinosorearse.

Solid Rust Twotter
25th Jul 2011, 16:29
Yup, those horny growths on a rhino egg can surely bring a little tear to the eye of mama rhino.

Vitesse
25th Jul 2011, 17:08
Any takers for brawn? Mashed with milk?

Was an ideal baby food in days gone by..

OFSO
25th Jul 2011, 17:50
Getting a hair caught between your teeth....reVOLTing !

CATIII-NDB
25th Jul 2011, 18:43
Yep It's the fag hanging down that does it for me. The tatooo''s don't help.

She reminds me of me a bit.

A talent wasted.

As for food does anyone remember "Mutton" especially "Cold mutton", "Greasy Cold Mutton". It was not the taste, it was the "Fatty bits" and that texture.

Plus that slightly sweet "Mint Sauce" - If that was mint, I was a Martian.

CAT III

Slasher
25th Jul 2011, 18:45
1. I hate when I find a dead cockroach in my boiled pigs guts
soup. Really pisses me off that and almost makes me puke.

2. Brussels fcuking sprouts! Nature's nasty slimy putrid filthy
stinking horrible foetid green muck balls straight from Hell.

3. Anything that has/had the waiter's thumb in it. :yuk:

4. Getting served a day old chilled monkey brain for dessert
when it was clearly stated on the restaurant menu they were
fresh. Taste and overall flavor can be extremely off-putting
and downright nauseating to say the least.

5. Any item that anything used to shag with once, including
that anything's knackers.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNYnfPHQnVCSmjH9Fgz-QjklLoaDmwoc2r94tSpYlWaxidbldSqw http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQp-hIOX-wkJQK98ldw1Q4nZi7mavMvsp8refyAlYSpLrHxFQR-

hellsbrink
26th Jul 2011, 01:06
The swimsuit round.... (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2018649/The-plucky-pensioners-want-want-crowned-Miss-Alabama-Nursing-Home.html)

Radar66
26th Jul 2011, 02:13
You won't get me anywhere near any kind of coffee or liquorice. http://smileys.smilchat.net/emoticon/sick/3dvomi.gif

Love fresh cherries, glace cherries and morello cherries in liquor, but anything that 'tastes of cherries' / 'cherry flavoured' is vile. Sweets, cherry cola, the fake rubbish that they put on top of cheap shop's cheesecake, anything like that. :yuk:

troppo
26th Jul 2011, 03:14
How I like my eggs...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/25/Inside_a_Balut_-_Embryo_and_Yolk.jpg/200px-Inside_a_Balut_-_Embryo_and_Yolk.jpg