PDA

View Full Version : Wine ..... now this is sad!

Capetonian
24th Jul 2011, 10:58
Going cheap, fell off the back of a forklift ............

More than A$1m ($1.07m; 664,000) of wine has been destroyed in a forklift accident in Australia.

The 2010 Mollydooker Velvet Glove shiraz sells for A$185 a bottle ($199; 122), the AFP news agency said.

Winemaker Sparky Marquis told reporters he was "gut-wrenched" that 462 cases of wine had been smashed while being loaded for export to the United States.

"When they opened up the container they said it was like a murder scene," he said. "But it smelled phenomenal."

Mr Marquis told the AAP news agency the shipment represented one-third of his McLaren Vale winery's annual production.

"It's a massive loss. We're going through all of the 462 cases at the moment just to see what we can save out of it."

The wine was, however, fully insured.

Agence France-Presse said Kerry Logistics, which was handling the shipment, moves more than 20,000 containers a year.

Spokesman Brett McCarthur said the company had never had a malfunction of that type before.

"It was very hard to make that call to Sparky," he said.

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Jul 2011, 12:54
It's just sour grape juice. Run it through some filter paper, mix it with a bit of Coca Cola and no one will be able to tell the difference...:ok:

Lon More
24th Jul 2011, 13:48
Thought this was to do with Whine house?

As it has all gone down the stank there's just his word as to how good it was. Must phone my broker tomorrow about that $10000 bottle of Buckie that got knocked off the table last night.

Fareastdriver
24th Jul 2011, 19:47
Velvet Glove shiraz

Years and years ago I used to dabble in home brewing and winemaking. Most home brewed beer has quite a tart taste and a way to control this is to throw a handful of cornflakes in the mash when it is boiling up.

My wine, like many others would would have a dry slighty sour tang to it which was not welcome in a high density red. A handful of cornflakes boiled up in a little water and added to the must would wrought miracles and produce a soft full bodied rounded wine.

Then you could buy the stuff for peanuts in a supermarket so I gave it up.

Solid Rust Twotter
25th Jul 2011, 08:50
That slight cidery tartness may be as a result of using white sugar if you swing that way.

CargoMatatu
25th Jul 2011, 10:47
I thought muslins weren't allowed to touch alcohol! :}

Hat, coat, etc.

bnt
25th Jul 2011, 15:19
I'm sorry, what? How much for a bottle of 2010 Dunnunda Shiraz? Someone's a bit optimistic ... you can get one for a few quid down at Aldi. :hmm:

onetrack
25th Jul 2011, 15:20
I've heard the Wharfies will go back to work on this particular section of wharf, as soon as they dig all the splinters out of their tongues... :suspect: