PDA

View Full Version : Bachelor of Aviation

will243
24th Jul 2011, 09:20
Hi,
I was hoping to get any thoughts from any past Uni students, or anyone who knows a bit about doing you ATPL through Uni. I have been looking at Swinburn Uni in Melbourne. The reason I am keen to take this path is because I am 25 years old and like the idea of doing it as quickly as possible and funding part of it through HECS. In addition, it's good to get the Bachelors.
Would appreciate any thoughts on the Degree's, if they are a waste of money or a good way to get your ATPL. Cheers

z-unit747
26th Jul 2011, 07:31
hey mate, Im part of the Swinny Aviation degree course. This is my first year with them. So far I have had absoutly no problems with the course. First semester subjects werent too much aviation focused, espcially when it comes to maths however next semester wil lfocus more on the industry which im looking forward to. I was just like you a year ago when I didnt know whether a degree in aviation will take you anywehre. Many people have many theories on degres in aviaton. Most dont beleive that it will take them far and are pointless seeing as many pilots for the big airlines dont have a degree. However consider this, if two people turn up to an interview for say jetstar and both have exactly the same amount of hours of flying, yet one has a degree and one hasnt, which one will they hire? Sure that is a very big hypothetical scenario but its worth considering. The biggest advantage of doing this course is that the flying is covered by HECS and it also broadens your view of the industry:D Hope that helped!