PDA

View Full Version : FAA partial shutdown

weasil
23rd Jul 2011, 16:38
F.A.A. Faces a Shutdown After Talks Fall Apart
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON (AP) — Efforts to avert a shutdown of the Federal Aviation Administration failed on Friday amid a disagreement over a $16.5 million cut in subsidies to 13 rural communities, meaning that at midnight nearly 4,000 people were to be temporarily out of work and federal airline ticket taxes suspended.

Lawmakers were unable to resolve a partisan dispute over an extension of the agency’s operating authority, which was to expire at midnight Friday.

The subsidy cut was included by Republicans in a House bill extending operating authority for the F.A.A., which has a $16 billion budget. Senate Democrats refused to accept the House bill with the cuts, and Republican senators refused to accept a Democratic bill without them. Lawmakers then adjourned for the weekend.

Underlying the dispute on rural air service subsidies was a standoff between the Republican-controlled House and the Democratic-controlled Senate over a provision in long-term funding legislation that would make it more difficult for airline and railroad workers to unionize.

Obama administration officials have said the shutdown will not affect air safety. Air traffic controllers will remain on the job. But airlines will lose the authority to collect about $200 million a week in ticket taxes that go into a trust fund for F.A.A. programs.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/23/business/faa-faces-a-shutdown-after-talks-fall-apart.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=FAA&st=cse

Cameronian
3rd Aug 2011, 18:06
I have no right to comment and could hardly know less about this issue than I do but, well, words fail me. How can this be allowed to happen? What are the prospects of early resolution or has it already been sorted?

westhawk
3rd Aug 2011, 18:46
I read a story on this today in ATW news. The short version is that the house of reps adjourned it's session without resolving the FAA funding issue and won't be back until September. The Senate can authorize a stopgap measure if they desire, but this measure would automatically cut funding to essential air service appropriations favored by many senators. Gridlock in congress...

Meanwhile, some 4,000 non-critical FAA employees remain on furlough and an estimated 70,000 government contract workers involved in airport improvement projects are idled. Additionally, the FAA is no longer authorized to collect airport fees and taxes estimated to total a Billion dollars a month.

ATC and safety inspectors continue to report for work.

The Senate may vote on another stopgap by the end of the week. The FAA has been operating on stopgap funding since 2007.