PDA

View Full Version : Poutine

Rollingthunder
23rd Jul 2011, 13:23
We all know what that is now - Chips/French Fries, with curd cheese, covered with brown gravy.

The dish originated in rural Quebec, Canada, in the late 1950s. Several Québécois communities claim to be the birthplace of poutine, including Drummondville (by Jean-Paul Roy in 1964),[6] Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, and Victoriaville.[citation needed] One often-cited tale is that of Fernand Lachance, from Warwick, Quebec, which claims that poutine was invented in 1957.[7] Lachance is said to have exclaimed ça va faire une maudite poutine ("it will make a damn mess"), hence the name. The sauce was allegedly added later, to keep the fries warm longer.

I claim the recipe for egg soup. Heat some milk, add cheese (strong cheddar), mix, add two eggs , poach just so, have buttered toast on stand-by.

Comfort food for breakfast or lunch........................ or dins. Depending on what time zone you are in or how you feel. Dash of Worcestershire is nice.

Ancient Observer
23rd Jul 2011, 13:29
On the first one - how many ways are there to say Yuck?
On the second - my cholesterol wouldn't allow such a dish at Ancient Towers.

G-CPTN
23rd Jul 2011, 13:38
I thought this thread was to be about distilled potato spirit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poit%C3%ADn) from Ireland.

Wholigan
23rd Jul 2011, 13:49
And I thought that he'd misspelt "putain"! :E

Lon More
23rd Jul 2011, 14:01
or "poteen"

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Jul 2011, 17:22
Poutine - Food of the Gods.:ok:

Parapunter
23rd Jul 2011, 17:29
Sounds revolting. And I speak as someone who has eaten Kebabs in the past.

Capetonian
23rd Jul 2011, 18:43
Eating poutine was by the far the most unpleasant experience I had on an otherwise most enjoyable recent trip to Tornoto and Ottawa.

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Jul 2011, 19:46
Get real, CT. You eat bokkems, fer cryin' in a bucket.:}

Capetonian
23rd Jul 2011, 19:49
Get real, CT. You eat bokkems, fer cryin' in a bucket

Do I? We called it vrotpoes and no way would I eat it.

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Jul 2011, 19:58
Thought all you folks down there in the underbelly were knee deep in the things. Not to worry, let me rephrase that....

Live in close proximity to bokkems.:}

Capetonian
23rd Jul 2011, 20:02
Yep, unfortunately that's true. They sell them on the beach at Yzerfontein close to where I stay, and the stench permeates Velddrif at times.

Cacophonix
23rd Jul 2011, 20:05
Not for nothing has the old South African insult changed to "Jou ma se Poutine!"

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Jul 2011, 20:11
Now there's an opportunity - Get poutine in as an upmarket competitor to slap chips (hey, it's foreign so the trendoid factor will bite like a crocodile with tetanus) and send koeksisters to Canada/USA as competition to doughnuts.:ok:

Cacophonix
23rd Jul 2011, 20:17
and send koeksisters to Canada/USA as competition to doughnuts.

Why should those nice North Americans have healthy hearts! ;)

The SSK
23rd Jul 2011, 20:26
Hey, whaddya know? A staple late-night dish of mine has suddenly assumed an identity I never knew it had.

The dish may include additional ingredients such as lobster meat, rabbit confit, caviar, and truffles.

I still have some learning to do, evidently.

er340790
23rd Jul 2011, 23:40
Yarp.

On a -48c windchill day there is nothing like it. Sticks to your insides and insulates you against anything.

Reduces your life expectancy by 20 years though, obviously.

stumpey
24th Jul 2011, 03:35
"Reduces your life expectancy by 20 years though, obviously".

Thats not necessarily a bad thing now a days is it with the state of the nation and the world?

obgraham
24th Jul 2011, 03:42
This is priceless: Brits making fun of an unhealthy put popular food!
(Can't speak for Sarf Africa, but I assume they've similar mess-on-a-plate dishes!)

Cacophonix
24th Jul 2011, 03:48
(Can't speak for Sarf Africa, but I assume they've similar mess-on-a-plate dishes!)

Welcome to the wonder that is Bunny Chow... (damn it I am hungry just thinking about it)!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/70/Quarter_Mutton_Bunny_Chow.jpg/220px-Quarter_Mutton_Bunny_Chow.jpg

Bunny chow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_chow)