PDA

View Full Version : LH speeding into New Delhi

happybiker
23rd Jul 2011, 04:15
Lufthansa landing aborted, speeding pilot at fault - The Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/Lufthansa-landing-aborted-speeding-pilot-at-fault/articleshow/9327362.cms)

The times of India reports:

NEW DELHI: A Lufthansa flight from Munich had to abort landing at the last minute on Thursday when the pilot realised that another aircraft was present on the runway. Interestingly, after investigation it was found that the delay was not caused by the aircraft occupying the runway. In fact, the Lufthansa pilot had reached Delhi much sooner than expected as he had been speeding.

However, a thorough investigation into the matter on Friday revealed totally different facts. Sources said that even if the Jet aircraft had not been occupying the runway, the Lufthansa flight would not have been able to make a landing as its speed was too high to enable it to touchdown. "When an aircraft is 20 nautical miles from touchdown, it should maintain an ideal speed of 180 nautical miles. When it is 10 nautical miles from touchdown, its speed should be decreased to 160 nautical miles. However, the Lufthansa aircraft was at a speed of 300 nautical miles when it was 15 nautical miles away, 260 nautical miles when it was 10 miles away, 230 nautical miles when it was 7 miles away and about 180 nautical miles when the runway was in sight. Because of this, the aircraft approached the runway a good 1-2 minutes before it should have arrived," said sources.

I wonder if the Captain will get a speeding ticket!!:=

quadradar
23rd Jul 2011, 04:20
What the ......:}

go_a_head
23rd Jul 2011, 04:35
If any of you guys ever visited South East Asia forum, you already know that Indian Medias LOVE TO TWIST FACTS .

Even Indian pilots agree with the statement.

Tower Ranger
23rd Jul 2011, 04:39
I`m sure there is no possibility that an Indian Airline was lined up when it shouldn`t have been and took an extra minute to roll, we all know that never happens don`t we lol!

av8r76
23rd Jul 2011, 04:50
As usual, some half assed reporting. Just let it go. 'At 20 miles he should be 180 nautical miles'.
Need I say more? Nothing to see here, move on.

Gulfstreamaviator
23rd Jul 2011, 06:31
his slot time was .10, and he too off at .03, so arrived at the threshold 2 mins early.... Just not acceptable.
So punished by being requested to reduce to sub orbital speed in a holding pattern.....

B737NG
23rd Jul 2011, 08:11
Incredibble India.... Has the Journalist listen to the tapes? Was a high speed approach requestet and approved? That speed is good for low drag approach and the environmental benefit is larger then 160 kts at 10 miles. 160kts is too close to the stall speed. So more food for thoughts for the media representatives here, let them figuere out that the Airplane fallīs out of the Sky when it stallīs, maybe then they have theire BREAKING NEWS. What a sad profession.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Jul 2011, 08:19
Presumably there is no ATC at the airfield in question? I've never read such bilge in my life.

cyrilroy21
23rd Jul 2011, 09:00
So are their pilots if they think it's normal to be slowed down halfway from minimum clean speed to approach speed at 20NM to touchdown - as someone has obviously told this reporter.

It wasnt the pilot that gave the report .

It was the ATC :ugh:

nitpicker330
23rd Jul 2011, 09:02
What crap.
Since when do Tower controllers use procedural separation based on landing times!!!

They look out the damn window and/or check their own Radar display to know the location ( ground and air ) of all traffic at all times and then issue instructions accordingly. They should also be able to see the groundspeed of airborne traffic as well.

Maybe the LH crew did fly a little faster than normal, the Tower should still be able to separate them ok.
:=

brakedwell
23rd Jul 2011, 09:43
They will be installing speed humps next :rolleyes:

CaptainProp
23rd Jul 2011, 10:17
They will be installing speed humps next

Hahaha! :ok:

Yet another reason to get all them foreigners out of India! Next step, all flights in to India, Indian or not, needs to be crewed by Indian astronauts. :}

Hahn
23rd Jul 2011, 15:05
It is a natural habit for Germans to speed. The poor guy is used to his "Autobahn", no wonder he was caught out in slow moving India.

ShyTorque
24th Jul 2011, 07:47
Why don't they install traffic lights on long poles at say, 20 miles and 10 miles etc.? Then the pilot would know if he should carry on or not.

Gulfstreamaviator
24th Jul 2011, 10:18
wake turbulance......

The worst RT/ATC/ and general level of profession skill was always evident in India.

I was bollocked for using the wrong taxiway, one night. It was my mistake, should have taken the unlit, unmarked, unfinished, uncharted taxi way: not the brightly lit, charted and actually in use by the chap in front....Silly me.....and it was too narrow....

So i did the needful.

Glf

brakedwell
24th Jul 2011, 10:34
They ought to stick to cricket!

Suzeman
25th Jul 2011, 20:03
They ought to stick to cricket!

Didn't do too well in that either :ok:

Suzeman

Guest 112233
26th Jul 2011, 08:40
I had a similar experence a few years ago with an AA 762 into BHX from ORD.

We did a wide left hand circuit from the North West @ 250 Knots plus (Yes I knew the area) -Flaps up untill we lined up at about 8 NM & 1800. Abeam HON still doing about 180 Kt but now flaps comming down - you could feel the deceleration - Gear down at 4.5, nicely stableised by 3, to a full length rollout, exiting at the end. Yes we were late, but still a very accumplished job in very good weather.

I can still visualise those Warwickshire fields whizzing past beneath us on left base, and thinking "The PF has had a flash back to his days on '105's in South East Asia." or "They are taking the chance to clear some rust out of the flap actuators"

Rather a very nice piece of "Energy Management".

CAT III

His dudeness
26th Jul 2011, 08:42
It is a natural habit for Germans to speed.

May I use that as my defence the next time I get a ticket? I think a genetic defect in my german DNA has not not been used yet, maybe Iīll succeed?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Jul 2011, 09:18
CatIII NDB... So how did your experience compare that which this thread is dealing with?

brakedwell
26th Jul 2011, 09:56
It is a natural habit for Germans to speed.
May I use that as my defence the next time I get a ticket? I think a genetic defect in my german DNA has not not been used yet, maybe Iīll succeed?

Germans speed appropriately, so that's OK :ok:

Guest 112233
26th Jul 2011, 20:17
The relevence of the post, was that, clearly within the limitations of SOP's , A crew in the context of their professional judgement ,may in favourable circumstances utilise the capabilities of the equipment to save or make up time (safely) to reduce the possibility of a missed outbond slot in a complex technical environment.

I suppose that in your operational days - Requests for direct routings (circumstances permitting) to reduce flight times would be appropriate if a flight was recovering lost time.

Likewise as an "outsider", the "Snatch" that I have seen alludeded to in the forum in the context of an abbrevated approach to LHR is not outside the broader context of postings to the tread.

Re for example "Speed Bumps" ? - And as I said everything worked out OK.

CAT III

scanhorse
31st Jul 2011, 10:46
Hi

The times of India reports

say s it all , worst tabloid of the world

Ulf Scanhorse

chai ja
1st Aug 2011, 17:06
This is pathetic!!! Germans are some of the best avaitors around... Indians need to look at themselves and critique.

Speaking of Delhi.... I flew there last Sunday and was stepped on for probably the 30th time that day by an Indian lady pilot (Jet Airways 777) around 630pm and it went something like this:

"Break break jet XXX requesting celarance'

To which I replied " wait your turn for a change". -- I was reading back a taxi clearance.

How do the ATC allow these imbeciles to get away with this tosh , it seems like a fight for food the whole time and they use so much BS on the radio, I mean what is 'ROJ' ?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Aug 2011, 17:43
<<How do the ATC allow these imbeciles to get away with this tosh >>

They don't have too much choice! Ever tried working Heathrow GMC?

chai ja
2nd Aug 2011, 13:33
Do these companies flying into LHR adhere to CDAs? Just out of curiosity, sorry for drift away from thread slightly, but its all relative. I used to live in Battersea and everyday would see AI or Jet coming in with gear down etc over central London.