PDA

View Full Version : BAX in Toledo, Ohio to close it's doors

halfspooled
23rd Jul 2011, 02:32
As a pilot for a company that contracts flying with BAX (DB Schenker) out of Toledo, Ohio, I was disappointed and surprised to hear that the Toledo sort facility is scheduled to close it's doors on September 1st, 2011. A large portion of the flying our company has is for BAX, so I'm sure this is going to affect a lot of us significantly. BAX officially states that the fuel cost has played a large role in their decision to get out of the air freight side and expand their ground transportation side (i.e. trucking freight). They claim that trucking the freight holds the largest opportunity for growth because of the cheaper operating costs.

MarkerInbound
23rd Jul 2011, 06:07
Had a lot of fun nights going in there years back. We'd always wonder if Breathless would be working the tower. I remember going into FWA for Burlington before they moved to TOL. Zantop, Emery, Kitty Hawk and now BAX, there doesn't seem to be a market for overnight junk freight anymore.

newscaster
28th Jul 2011, 23:58
EK schedules show flights continue beyond September.

Intruder
29th Jul 2011, 04:12
EK may use the BAX terminal for ground handling, but I don't think they are contracted to BAX.

newscaster
30th Jul 2011, 14:57
I think the only reason they serve TOL is because of being contracted to BAX, infact thats how they got to start the route, but maybe its changed since they stopped flying to Hahn.

Intruder
30th Jul 2011, 16:42
They supply parts to the Jeep plant near the airport. They could be contracted directly to Chrysler or to a freight forwarder...