PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Flight Planning one pointers

rocket66
23rd Jul 2011, 01:48
Morning people,

I sit the dreaded flight planning Monday and am wondering what sort of one mark questions are asked. I know there'll be th usual 5 and 6 marked ones but what sort of 1 and 2 mark questions do they ask. My 3 years runs ou soon so resitting this one is not an option.

I've heard for example they'll ask how much fuel is allowed for a standard taxi and if an extended taxi is required how much more fuel should be planned etc.

Any help from those whom have recently sat this one would be much appreciated.

Thanks
rocket

WannaBeBiggles
23rd Jul 2011, 02:46
It's been a few years since I sat the exam, but from memory I got a couple of CAS, TAS, EAS conversions.

ISA Temperature conversions

There were some RSWT style questions as well, can't remember if they also threw in some selection of FL's along with those.

Expect some cruise fuel flow questions as well.

If you're doing the AFT prac exams you'll be fine as it's fairly spot on.

Good luck! :ok:

NZScion
23rd Jul 2011, 09:27
Also get real good at smashing out calculations on your nav computer/calculator - the faster you can do these whilst remaining accurate the better.

Cessna 180
24th Jul 2011, 04:32
Good luck with it Rocket.

It is my last one also and have been thinking of doing the aft course, however, I have spoken to three people who have sat this course that failed first time and reckon the exam was quite different to what they were given in the course.

rocket66
24th Jul 2011, 09:42
I have self studied it and hope to Christ Ive done all I can to pass. It is hard, but if you put in the time and effort hopefully all will be ok. I couldn't afford to do a course but it seems they are more of a sausage factory than anything else. It's a lot of information to absorb and a lot of calculating to get the answer.

I'm just pondering what sort of one pointers are asked. Not many people have replied so I'm hoping that they aren't too bad.

Rocket

Windshear_ahead
6th Sep 2011, 06:04
Hey Rocket, how did you go with the flight planning test? I am also self studying it at the moment...

DUXNUTZ
6th Sep 2011, 08:43
I didthis exam quite a while ago but struggled something horrid in the practice exams. In the end the UNSW course got me through.

rocket66
6th Sep 2011, 09:25
G'day guys,

I passed this one about a week ago. Was expecting to do better than the first go but still not pass. On pressing the submit button the word "Pass" appeared on the screen. Almost better than sex seeing that one!!

How's eveyone else going with it??

bigbrother
6th Sep 2011, 09:31
passing this exam is a sharp pencil and a good sence of adventure. Hit and miss, lucky or not. Sad but true. I did the exam quite a few years ago through UNSW also, can't remember the old guy who ran it. HE was ex Qantas without much of a sense of humour as I recall. Old school guy but nice in his own way. good luck with it