PDA

View Full Version : Snails

candoo
22nd Jul 2011, 21:05
Due to recent weather conditions our garden is overrun with snails, dozens of the slimy buggers.

Can we eat them?

Danscowpie
22nd Jul 2011, 21:17
Can we eat them?

Of course you can.

You may wish to adopt nature's approach and either smash the little buggers shell to bits and eat them raw, or do as we would do and fry them alive with the shell, then peel them.

Either way they are completely disgusting.

My reccomendation is, upon finding the slimey gits, smash the shell and throw them onto the lawn, whereupon they'll be unable to move an be consumed by natures natural predators (birds, hedgehogs, rats or cats).

Mike X
22nd Jul 2011, 21:19
Pick them, pop into a secure place. Feed lettuce/flour for 2 weeks.

Then, shell, into snailboat with garlic, olive oil & grated cheese under grill. The best.

candoo
22nd Jul 2011, 21:23
Mike X

You sure, neighbour told me that snails Anglais were quite different to snails Francais or was that a myth????

G-CPTN
22nd Jul 2011, 21:26
Their shells curl the opposite way, of course . . .

Juliet Sierra Papa
22nd Jul 2011, 21:28
Can we eat them?
Only if you're quick enough to catch them... :ok:

Mike X
22nd Jul 2011, 21:55
You sure, neighbour told me that snails Anglais were quite different to snails Francais or was that a myth????

Ha ha. All snails are cleansed through the process mentioned. Ready to be enjoyed. :)

Loose rivets
22nd Jul 2011, 23:17
A slug was beaten up by two snails. He went to the police station.

When asked for the details, he said, "I don't know, it all happened so quickly."

Rollingthunder
22nd Jul 2011, 23:21
Point them out to any Thrushes you might have. They will take care of them.

con-pilot
22nd Jul 2011, 23:55
Point them out to any Thrushes you might have. They will take care of them.

So will salt or beer, but you're still going to have to clean up the mess.

candoo
23rd Jul 2011, 00:12
So if I follow RT and Con's advice I let the thrushes point out and direct the snails to the BBQ, salt and beer. They kinda get together to make a mess, that about sums up my last experience of snails except there is no mention of garlic.

Airborne Aircrew
23rd Jul 2011, 01:19
Why waste beer????

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

con-pilot
23rd Jul 2011, 01:21
Why waste beer????

No fears my friend, I use Keystone Light. :p

Airborne Aircrew
23rd Jul 2011, 11:59
Phew!!! :)

Checkboard
23rd Jul 2011, 12:17
You feed them lettuce for a week or so to allow them to pass anything nasty to humans they may have been munching on up to the time you catch them.

The bit missed, above - You then purge them, by starving them for 48 hours.. This cleans out the gut.

THEN you cook them with garlic. :)

http://eatinggardensnails.bl*gspot.com/2009/03/collecting-preparing-snails.html

You have to repair the URL above by replacing the * with a 'o'

Flying Lawyer
23rd Jul 2011, 13:20
You sure, neighbour told me that snails Anglais were quite different to snails Francais

I must confess, with embarrassment, that's what I thought too until a few weeks ago.

I tried English snails for the first time at an excellent pub/restaurant while staying with friends in a small Cambridgeshire village. My (local) friends assured me otherwise, and both seem very healthy. (Spink, for any RAF posters) The snails seemed smaller than those I've eaten in France, but that could have been my imagination/trying to find a difference.
Delicious! :ok:

I still can't see myself collecting snails from the garden and cooking them.
I prefer to eat them cooked than see them alive. :yuk:

-ju7_ZORsZw

DX Wombat
23rd Jul 2011, 13:23
WARNING! If you live in the more southerly part of the UK you should be aware that slugs and snails in that part of the world are hosts for Lungworm (http://www.lungworm.co.uk/scripts/pages/en/what_is_this_lungworm/index.php).

G-CPTN
23rd Jul 2011, 13:24
Apparently, the Romans introduced large snails to Britain (along with a powerful strain of nettles).

Living in the penumbra of a Roman supply station we have both in abundance.

Rollingthunder
23rd Jul 2011, 13:30
have a lamb chop or a steak instead

Lon More
23rd Jul 2011, 14:00
I thought it was about Snailtrails.

Sailor Vee
23rd Jul 2011, 14:06
On Portland they were known as 'wallfruit' and once purged were fine!

tony draper
23rd Jul 2011, 14:49
It starts with snails then before you know it you will be salivating at the sight of a horse.:=

Fareastdriver
23rd Jul 2011, 14:51
is cleans out the gut

Same things with prawns. In the Far East you can buy them on the hoof so they have had time to clean themselves out before you get them home.
No need to devein; in boiling water and when it comes back to the boil again they're done.:ok::)

Heliport
23rd Jul 2011, 14:58
It starts with snails then before you know it you will be salivating at the sight of a horse.

I once tried zebra which was a 'special' at the Butcher Shop & Grill in Jo'burg.
Once.
I left far more than I ate.
Never again.

(Excellent restaurant - delicious perfectly cooked steaks. :ok:)

H.

vulcanised
23rd Jul 2011, 15:06
You're supposed to kill it first!

Fareastdriver
23rd Jul 2011, 15:54
Zebra and Kudu are just like anything else that is chased around by lions and leopards; tough as old nails.

candoo
23rd Jul 2011, 16:08
Tomorrow night am going to bite the bullet and try eating a few, will report back.

Aren't slugs homeless snails?

Whilst we are on the subject of free food from yer garden - can you eat moths? our various pets seem to love them may try these at some point, probably deep fried.

Mr D done the horse thing dare I say it - not too bad!

tony draper
23rd Jul 2011, 16:13
Jezuz wept!! hold on hold on! I shall get in touch with the red cross and arrange for some food parcels to be send down there.
:uhoh:

Checkboard
23rd Jul 2011, 16:39
Apart from Angiostrongylus cantonensis, the rat lungworm found in the pacific, humans don't have to worry about lungworm infection (according to a fast Google search! :O )

tony draper
23rd Jul 2011, 17:46
I refuse to eat anything that only has one hoof.:rolleyes:

visibility3miles
23rd Jul 2011, 23:10
Supposedly, the French brought snails to California during the 1800s Gold Rush. After a snail prison breakout, they become a pest.

In some areas, they wander the sidewalks at night and early morning.

If you don't watch your step, you can hear a disturbing "crunch." :uhoh:

11Fan
23rd Jul 2011, 23:18
A man goes to a Halloween party with a woman on his back.
The host asks him, "And what are you?"
The man says, Im a snail."
The host says, "And who's that on your back?"
And the man says, "That's Michelle!"

Worrals in the wilds
24th Jul 2011, 00:39
Whilst we are on the subject of free food from yer garden - can you eat moths?

Were the staff at your local supermarket rude to you or something? We'll start calling you Bear Grylls... ;)

Indigenous people here traditionally eat some types of moth, I don't know if they're all edible or just certain types. Bill Bryson covers it in his book Down Under, where he asks a guy who's eaten booyong moths, 'Is it true they have a buttery taste?' and the answer is 'No, they have a moth taste.':yuk: From memory, you can roast or grill them beside a campfire and they're a good source of protein and fat, but lacking in other redeeming qualities.
Like nardoo flour, I think moths got dropped off the menu the moment something tastier became available.

Airborne Aircrew
24th Jul 2011, 02:06
I think moths got dropped off the menu the moment something tastier became available.

I believe that can be said of many things... Depending upon the culture you are discussing... :ok:

lomapaseo
24th Jul 2011, 02:10
Supposedly, the French brought snails to California during the 1800s Gold Rush. After a snail prison breakout, they become a pest.

If you don't watch your step, you can hear a disturbing "crunch."

I think what you meant were "Frogs'

stuckgear
24th Jul 2011, 08:59
I've taken up racing them. one was pretty quick so i thought it would make him a bit quicker if took his shell off him...

... all it did was make him sluggish.

hat, shell, door.

Adam Nams
24th Jul 2011, 09:31
Add snails to boiling water, to which has been added some fresh garden herbs.
Whilst snails are cooking, chop smokey bacon and fry until crispy.
Drain the snails.
Eat the bacon.
Throw snails away. :ok:

Shack37
24th Jul 2011, 09:49
Quote:

If you don't watch your step, you can hear a disturbing "crunch."
I think what you meant were "Frogs'

OK then, the Frogs brought snails to California during the 1800s Gold Rush:)

piggybank
24th Jul 2011, 10:33
Just adding my two cents worth of info. A Frenchman I worked with yonks back told me his method. He gave the snails rice vermicelli (bihun) to eat till the muck passed out clean (don't ask me how relatively clean this sh*t is to the last). Then he drowned the snails in salt water and they spew out the contents of the upper gut.

Slime is cleaned off with builders lime/cooking lime.

stuckgear
24th Jul 2011, 12:45
i'll stick with chicken.

tony draper
24th Jul 2011, 13:52
Yer,you get a extra leg with them.:rolleyes:

sled dog
24th Jul 2011, 20:04
People who eat these disgusting things should be Sectioned. Anyway, who could eat a snail without garlic butter, etc ? :yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk: