PDA

View Full Version : Persistent Nightmares?

WorstGW
22nd Jul 2011, 19:13
Many of us will have suffered some of the more common nightmares, like being unable to run from danger, or the nameless dread of knowing that something terrible is about to happen, but not knowing what. But what about more elaborate scenarios that occur repeatedly down to the smallest detail?

I had one of these that came up several times a year for over a decade. I have to do a little scene-setting first:

When I got my first proper job out of university, I rented a bedsit on the uncertain border between genteel Holland Park in London and the, let's say, rather livelier area adjoining Ladbrook Grove. It was cramped, but money was tight at the time and it was handy for my place of work. A few years later, in 1976, I was asked to take on a short foreign assignment: only for a few months until Christmas, but the company was happy to pay for keeping my stuff in store while I was away so I gave the place up, intending to find somewhere better after I returned. As things turned out, I never returned to the UK for long enough to need another permanent home there.

But for years afterward, I would dream that I had returned to London, was back outside the bedsit, and was unable to get in because I had lost the front door key (a brass Yale).... What's more - and this was what used to wake me up in a cold sweat - I couldn't remember where on the road I'd left my car parked (It was a battered old Mini estate. Red, with grey upholstery.) And this made even less sense than the lost doorkey, because I had never ever owned a car while I lived in London!:confused:

That nightmare finally ceased in the late 1980's after I had signed a local hire contract here. I guess my subconscious had finally accepted that I wasn't likely to find myself back in England with no home to go to any time soon.

Any other similarly elaborate and nonsensical nightmares that you're willing to admit to?

tony draper
22nd Jul 2011, 19:49
I have one that occasionally crops up, I am looking at a book,I know this book contains some vital or important stuff I open it in anticipation and find nothing but pages and pages of gobbledygook,I frantically rifle through the pages reading line after line of nonesense,but none of it makes any sense, I feel a terrible sense of loss,then I wake up.
The other spooky thing about this is,in the dream I can read without moving me lips.
:rolleyes:

rmcb
22nd Jul 2011, 20:54
I had lost the front door key (a brass Yale)

Narrows it down slightly!

...but pages and pages of gobbledygook,I frantically rifle through the pages reading line after line of nonesense,but none of it makes any sense...

Sounds like LASORS. Been in the game too long.:(

lomapaseo
22nd Jul 2011, 21:04
I have one that occasionally crops up, I am looking at a book,I know this book contains some vital or important stuff I open it in anticipation and find nothing but pages and pages of gobbledygook,I frantically rifle through the pages reading line after line of nonesense,but none of it makes any sense, I feel a terrible sense of loss,then I wake up.

Same here, but after I log-off PPRuNe, everything goes back to normal

con-pilot
22nd Jul 2011, 21:12
I don't have recurring nightmares, don't think I ever have.

But there is one thing I can do, how I've not a clue, but when I have a dream that starts heading in a direction I don't like, I change the dream. I can even start the dream over and direct it to go the way I perfer.

Like I said, how I can do this I really don't know, but I can.

Can anyone else do this?

11Fan
22nd Jul 2011, 21:15
Can anyone else do this?

If I am getting ready to -or already peeing- in my dream, I can wake myself up. Somehow hard wired in.

Also, my dreams are so realistic (smells, colors, touch), credits roll at the end.

WorstGW
22nd Jul 2011, 21:28
Can anyone else do this?I think it's called lucid dreaming.

Can't do it myself, but quite often become aware of the fact that I'm dreaming, and can consciously decide to wake up if the dream takes an unpleasant turn. With one nasty exception, happens occasionally: I dream I'm waking up, then realise I'm still dreaming, and decide I want to wake up properly, and I cannot. This usually develops into the unable to run from danger or nameless dread variants.:eek:

Rollingthunder
22nd Jul 2011, 21:33
I can sometimes direct my dreams by thinking of something while falling asleep. But, sometimes the dark side turns up and I end up wide awake at 0330. Latest repeat is me reading news articles on-line - all the words are real and written by me, but the sentances make no sense.

Cups of builder's tea and bacon and egg bap usually fixes things up

candoo
22nd Jul 2011, 22:20
Dreams are what it says on the box - dreams

there is endless amounts of piffle written about them out there but, I believe, they are personal to you and you only.

they involve fear, aspirations, hope, love, hate.... but usually very strong emotional feelings that the brain is not used to dealing with in lucid moments and on a day to day basis.

most of mine involve..................................................... ...........

now that would be telling

vulcanised
22nd Jul 2011, 22:42
I sometimes dream that I'm lying awake and can't get to sleep. Wake up absolutely knackered.

The other one is that the doorbell rings early in the morning. It wakes me up, I memorise the time, then look on the CCTV tape when I get up, but there's never anyone there.

gingernut
22nd Jul 2011, 22:47

Welcome to Jet Blast.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/gingernut123/DSC_0169.jpg

A A Gruntpuddock
22nd Jul 2011, 23:40
"If I am getting ready to -or already peeing- in my dream" - having prostate problems, I was surprised by the different ways I dreamt about aquatic subjects just before I woke up!

corsair
23rd Jul 2011, 00:24
But for years afterward, I would dream that I had returned to London, was back outside the bedsit, and was unable to get in because I had lost the front door key (a brass Yale).... I read about someone recently who used to live in Edinburgh or somewhere and went back for a visit got drunk. By some homing instinct he found his way to his former place and still having the key on his keyring got in and fell asleep on the couch. Much to the surprise of the new tenant in the morning.

My recurring dream/nightmare is that I'm back at my old job, the one where I spent fourteen dull years. I've been rehired and everyone thinks I'm doing great but I haven't a clue what my job is. I just sit there baffled or run around pretending I'm busy doing something. A variation is that I should be there but I'm miles away and I'm very worried that I'll be fired. It's easy to figure that one out as I no longer have a proper job and sometimes feel very insecure. I can't figure the other one out though.

I also have lucid dreams usually during a lie in, when half awake. Great fun to be had with them and no they're not all dirty you pervs!:=

Rush2112
23rd Jul 2011, 02:07
I have this one: I am working for an insurance company in Singapore, with a HO staffed entirely by wombles back in UK, and, er, no hang on, that's real life...