PDA

View Full Version : Squawk 7700

timmyp
22nd Jul 2011, 15:44
Hi all

I follow flightradar24 on Twitter and they send out updates every now and then. One has just come through with a squawk of 7700 (its VY2901, PMI to AMS). Now I understand this means general emergency, but can it range from anything to do with the aircraft or passengers or is it more detailed?

I've followed it on the radar and its flight level is decreasing quite quickly over Toulouse....do we ever find out the reason or is it not normally made public?

Sorry for what is probably an amateur query but interested to know.

Thanks.

Daysleeper
22nd Jul 2011, 15:52
Not normally made public unless it is a "reportable incident/accident" in which case a report will eventually be published. Though I wouldn't hold your breath as 6 months would be a minimum and 1-2 years more normal.

It's a generic emergency code, could be all sorts of things. Mainly it's precautionary/duff sensor and after checking out on the ground it's fine.

Morris542
22nd Jul 2011, 17:34
Would a severe medical emergency justify squawking 7700? As a holder of a PPL myself I'm just curious to know...

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Jul 2011, 17:46
Morris 542... yes. It alerts controllers in adjacent sectors of something unusual happening. Flights with sick pax are often given considerable priority with direct routings, etc.

Hotel Tango
22nd Jul 2011, 19:26
Not too sure that A7700 would be used for a medical emergency (unless it's one of the FD crew). Then again different airlines, different SOPs.