PDA

View Full Version : F1 Visa Schools

iknowthismuch2btrue
22nd Jul 2011, 14:55
Hi. I am looking for some information regarding flights schools in the USA.I am a South African with an ICAIO CPL IR and am looking to obtain my CFI and employment in the USA. Could someone help me fill in these grey areas.

1) Which schools are F1 visa approved ? I know of PEA. There website says this - "U.S. colleges and universities and a few flight training academies – Phoenix East Aviation is one of only eight of them – are authorized by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security for F-1 Student Visas". I am looking for the names of the other 7. Or am I mistaken in thinking that not every flight school is able to assist you in obtaining a F1 visa?

2) I am assuming that at institutions such as Embry-Riddle etc. You have to be enrolled as a university student to train as a pilot. Correct ?

3) Is the OPT (optional practical training) period 12 months, and are you eligible to earn a salary ?

Thank you for any and all assistance.

zondaracer
22nd Jul 2011, 15:32
Cue SoCalApp in 3...2...1...

saunj11
22nd Jul 2011, 19:52
Hey man. Also from SA going to US next year Jan but starting from scratch. Check out flight safety academy. I'm not sure if they only offer the F-1 with the package I'm taking but it"s worth asking them. Also aerosim I know is approved to issue an I-20 for F-1.

As for PEA. Stay away. I have heard nothing but bad things from them. Just google some reviews and see for yourself what comes up. Was considering them myself but after I saw some people"s comments :=

Good luck:ok:

saunj11
22nd Jul 2011, 19:54
Just out of interest... If ur license is CAA would you not have to do a conversion to FAA before. I'm presuming you got your license here in SA?

iknowthismuch2btrue
22nd Jul 2011, 20:00
Looks like I will be doing my conversion to FAA from ICAIO at California Flight Academy. Looking to do my CFI courses at a school that will allow me to do OPT (if thats even possible as I am already a license holder) to avoid the whole H1B work visa saga.

I am also reading a lot of negative things about PEA. Really off-putting. Seems the number of schools authorised for F1 visa's is limited.

Hoping to learn more here.

So much info to sift through . Headache already.

saunj11
22nd Jul 2011, 20:18
What is your reason for going over if I may ask? Where did train in SA? Im guesing there's no spots for instructors over here? That's one reason why my parents are pushing for me to go there, need to build the hours ...although it's not guaranteed.

OPT however is generally only for programs where a student starts from PPL and goes all the way to CFI. But I'm sure there are some schools who would hire you on a Hb-1. Check out Sierra aviation academy aswell. They looking for instructors. Heard they were at one stage sponsoring work visa"s for internationals to come and instruct that's how desperate they were.

iknowthismuch2btrue
23rd Jul 2011, 04:32
Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful, if a little bleak.

Still looking to compile a list of F1 approved schools, so far I have the following.

1) Pelican
2) PEA
3) Hillsboro

Please help me complete this list

type rating
23rd Jul 2011, 06:48
hey guys all among f1 visa flight school i know particular one which is best and all students from india did flying there but they are helicopter schools but yes even they offer airplane but mostly famous for heli

mustansir1989
19th Feb 2012, 06:28
:ugh:Hi I am a FAA CPL holder with Multi and Ir. I am looking forward to do my instructor rating and get a job right after I get the rating. Is it possible to get an F1 visa for the same? I got my license in 2008 and this is 2012. Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

Jerry Lee
19th Feb 2012, 21:35
We can also add European Flight Training (flyEFT) and Aerosim on the list.

Messerschmitt
20th Feb 2012, 18:54
If you have a CPL (commercial pilot licence), how are you eligible for an F1?
Contacted Bristow Academy, and they told me F1 visas are only for people who are starting, and not proffesionals (since you already have a commercial pilot licence, you are considered a professional).

I was looking to do the same thing, as I wished to get into the 12 month Practical Training, where you could instruct in the US for 12 months, but they told me I am ineligible.

SloppyJoe
20th Feb 2012, 19:05
I was going to do this with sierra academy of aeronautics in 2001 so things may have changed. I already held a CPL and the ONLY way I could get the F1 was to enroll onto the 4 year degree program they had. If I had only a PPL it would have been simpler as could have done a shorter course mainly consisting of flight training.

proudprivate
20th Feb 2012, 20:03
Just developing a thought here...

Wouldn't it make much more sense to combine the flight instruction experience with a study in a degree that is actually worth something on the job market ?

I understand that an F1-visum allows for up to 20 hours "on-campus" work. That can mean flipping burgers in the cantine, but just as well give flight instruction at the airport (assuming the university has an aviation institute and an airport of course, such as Ohio State - the example I was thinking of was Urbana Champaign, but I've just learned they closed their program - sign of the times I guess :().

So wouldn't it make much more sense for our Indian friends to do a CFI / CFII first, and then come over and do an
- MBA (assuming they have a degree in economics)
- MSc or PhD in Nuclear Physics (specialty in the Thorium fuel cycle springs to mind for Indian candidates)
- degree in Engineering Technology
- degree in Military Technology
etc...

while using part of the week-ends to train interested PPL/IR/CPL-students at the flight school.

If I were the USCIS, with the Aviation Job market what it is today, I would rather see the back of an Indian wannabee wanting to get into a paid flight instructing job parallel to his short term stay. But I would welcome a wannabee that also happens to be highly qualified in something else...

Any comments on the above scenario ?