PDA

View Full Version : Meteor Night Fighters

DougGordon
22nd Jul 2011, 07:15
I am currently researching for an article on the Meteor night fighter variants. I would welcome the opportunity to correspond with anyone who was involved with the aircraft both here and abroad. Please get in touch.

Steve Bond
22nd Jul 2011, 07:45
Hi Doug,

I still have a lot of correspondence from aircrew and ground crew involved with the NF Meteors from the research for my Meteor book that was published 25 years ago. Happy to help.

Regards

Steve

DougGordon
23rd Jul 2011, 06:34
Steve I've sent you a pm

Proplinerman
24th Jul 2011, 06:41
There are eight(!) Meteors preserved at the Israeli Air Force museum at Hatzerim air force base in that country and I believe some of these were used in the NF role. I have photos of all of them if you wish to see them.

T-21
25th Jul 2011, 06:42
Excellent article by Dan Griffiths on flying and operating the Classic Flight Meteor NF.11 G-LOSM in the latest Aeroplane Monthly.

Steve Bond
25th Jul 2011, 15:14
No PM yet Doug.

DougGordon
25th Jul 2011, 17:05
Steve, I've just resent the message. Hopefully you'll get it this time.
Thank you T-21 for the heads up on the Aeroplane Monthly article. I'll get a copy.
Propliner please can I take a raincheck on the Israeli pics. I don't know whether or not I'll venture from RAF service bearing in mind the word restriction on most articles.

avionic type
25th Jul 2011, 19:07
We had the first NF13 prototype from Armstrong Witworths for evaluation at Central Fighter Establishment West Raynham in 1950/1951 it stood out for 3 reasons ,its long nose ,its gleaming paint work and the letter P for prototype by its serial number near the tail , we did alot of radar test work and radar interception of "enemy" aircraft with it .Ican't remember how long it stayed with us it was still there when I got posted overseas in the March 1951 .because of its long nosed shape I will draw a veil over what its nick name was by we lower orders.;););)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
25th Jul 2011, 20:04
Dan Griffith, no 's', just in case you contact him.
I know he hates people getting it wrong, I was part of the GoH at his wedding.