PDA

View Full Version : Wi-fi transmission frequencies

Loose rivets
21st Jul 2011, 16:33
As a pre-war model, my radio tekkie days were in the era of valves and rotary generators. My attempts described on the weak signal thread introduced me to inSSIDer signal monitoring. Very nice program.

One thing that came to light was the overlapping of wi-fi channels on the 2.4 gig band. I simply had no idea this happened. When I mentioned to a support tech the spreading of some channels by two channel widths in each direction, he e'd to say only some channels do not overlap. It seems the 5 gig 23 do not overlap at all.

All the things that stack against good reception on ordinary wi-fi make it astonishing we are able to link to a router at all.

part of the reply.
There are only 3 non-overlapping channels 1, 6, and 11. I have attached a Wiki link that explains this a bit more in detail.

IEEE 802.11 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11)

Bushfiva
22nd Jul 2011, 01:52
1, 5, 9 & 13 for most of Europe (12-14 aren't allowed in the US).

le Pingouin
22nd Jul 2011, 04:06
Probably better to say they're the only triplet of channels that doesn't overlap.

Loose rivets
22nd Jul 2011, 15:11
Ah! Now that makes it make sense.

stewmath
22nd Jul 2011, 15:20
I use channel 1 in the uk. Any other channels i used i noticed alot of wireless drop off's from my laptop. Was rather frustrating, but also the sky routers arnt exactly very good.