PDA

View Full Version : Strange Connectivity Problems

A2QFI
20th Jul 2011, 05:14
Good Morning. I can get onto the internet thru IE9, but other browsers and facilities are not working. I am running windows XP on a desktop and a Netgear modem/router. The router is OK and I can connect to the internet with it, wirelessly, for my laptop and my i pod; the desktop uses an ethernet cable.

AOL (my ISP) cannot connect to the internet, Google Chrome cannot either and when I try to update my TOMTOM I am told that the server has "Refused the connection" and the same for Chrome. I have rebooted the router which works OK, I have done a system restore, back to 8th June and my firewall is off, for the moment. This leaves me at the limit of my analytical powers. I have used Network diagnostics which tells me that my network adapter is OK. I am getting by but my access is restricted, any ideas would be welcome. Thank you.

Loose rivets
20th Jul 2011, 10:09
As a first step, when you try to run the other browsers, just do a quick check with Task Manager to make sure IE9 has truly gone. Be sure to look in Processes as well.

mixture
20th Jul 2011, 10:21
AOL (my ISP)

Our prayers and thoughts be with you at this dark and sorrowful time, sir. :cool:

jimtherev
20th Jul 2011, 10:57
I guess one of your problems is collecting mail? You can get this by signing in on Internet Exploder to aol.co.uk and going to "mail". If you can't even sign in, then it's on the phone to Mumbai... and the best of luck!

However, once on the website you can access the AOL help - and that is sometimes useful.

A2QFI
20th Jul 2011, 12:30
Thanks for that! Yes, I have been getting email thru IE9 and I have a freephone number for AOL/Mumbai.

I have googled for the error message I am getting and the problem is very common and related to LAN setting on my computer. The problem is not solved but I have a lot of information to work with, thanks.