PDA

View Full Version : Rupert's travails

Saltie
19th Jul 2011, 06:24
I would imagine that sympathy for poor Rupert is in pretty short supply among Australian airline pilots of a certain age as they see the 'three generations' rule kick in for the Dirty Digger.

Fubaar
20th Jul 2011, 06:35
I noticed he said it was 'the most humble day of his career' and not 'the most humbling'.

For a man whose business is words, he must know there is a big difference in meaning between those two phrases.

I'd be guessing that the only thing he's sorry for is being caught.

Lon More
20th Jul 2011, 07:57
Didn't look very contrite and denying all knowledge; last time we heard that was at Nuremburg.

Slasher
20th Jul 2011, 08:16
Glad to see that pr!ck is getting his comeuppance! :*

At one point he was quoted as saying he has never interfered
in the editorial direction of any of his empires papers. So how
is THAT for proof he's a just blatant fcuking liar.

I sincerely hope he spends a long bloody time in the slammer
and dies of Alzheimers there (seems his selective memory is
a bit wobbly anyway), or he gets Wenge to cut both his wrists
in the next few days - either way justice will be served.

Capetonian
20th Jul 2011, 08:35
Whilst I don't have any sympathy for Rupert, I think the villain of the piece is that odious glib-tongued son of his, James, a manipulative little shit who doubtless manipulated his own father. And then there's that red-haired harridan ......

Captain Dart
20th Jul 2011, 08:40
As an 'eighty niner' I take pleasure in seeing the man 'under the pump' and hopefully Slasher's prophecies coming his way; the day will come when he joins the 'Fat Man', with the prime minister of the day not far behind.

Then, there could be a very interesting book to be written...

cdtaylor_nats
20th Jul 2011, 08:42
I was praying for him to stand-up at the questioning and say something along the lines of -

"In the interests of openness I will now read a list of MPs who have taken bribes over the last 20 years".

Slasher
20th Jul 2011, 08:53
Yep Dart I had a certain November 13th(?) 1989 editorial in The Australian
in mind when I posted that, a day after uncle Rupert paid a visit Downunder
primarily to see his fat cohort.

sitigeltfel
20th Jul 2011, 09:01
"In the interests of openness I will now read a list of MPs who have taken bribes over the last 20 years".

Having been arse licked by Labour during their thirteen years at the helm, the Murdochs must have a mine of juicy scandal stashed away.

Just biding their time until the current storm passes?

The score so far....

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee201/sitigeltfel/Murdochpies.jpg

Slasher
20th Jul 2011, 10:24
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee201/sitigeltfel/Murdochpies.jpg = http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3d86Bvx76qP_c7kfgWa7Uuye3U-6bLUS3gifBsxvfhQANLmH7

Akrotiri71
20th Jul 2011, 10:32
I was praying for him to stand-up at the questioning and say something along the lines of -

Rupes makes a fleeting mention of the MP's expense scandal, and hints that it hadn't been put to bed yet? (Or words along those lines). Or am I reading it wrong?
RM:There would have been a terrible outcry sorry to say this, (and I) do not know your circumstances, or anybody else's around here, when the Daily Telegraph bought a series of stolen documents, all of the expenses of MPs, it caused a massive outcry. It has not been properly addressed. There is an answer to that, I think and we will look at it, Singapore is the most open and clear society in the world, where every minister gets at least $1 million every year, and the Prime Minister, much more, and there is not any temptation, and it is the cleanest society that you could find anywhere.

Sallyann1234
20th Jul 2011, 10:53
There is a very, very simple way to put an end to all this nonsense.

We follow the US practice of specifying that media cannot be owned by foreign nationals. Murdoch had to take US citizenship in order to buy Fox. He could not be a UK citizen as well, so if we did the same here he would have to sell off his interests in British press and TV. It would also stop Russian ex-KGB officers buying UK papers.

(As an EU member we would actually have to specify EU citizens rather than just UK citizens, but that would do the job just as well. There would be no difficulty in finding Berlusconi to be an 'unsuitable' person)

skua
20th Jul 2011, 10:55
Excellent idea.

Sallyann1234
20th Jul 2011, 10:58
There is an answer to that, I think and we will look at it, Singapore is the most open and clear society in the world,

That is just the craziest statement. In Singapore, all press and TV is government controlled and licensed. You cannot criticise any government minister, on pain of being sued for libel, bankrupted, imprisoned, debarred from public office and having your passport confiscated.

Andu
20th Jul 2011, 11:26
I have to agree with Sallyann. The person who said that "Singapore is the most open and clear society in the world" has obviously never lived there. Passed through as a tourist perhaps, but obviously never lived there.

lonkmu
20th Jul 2011, 12:51
Harsh but fair

The Daily Mash - Murdochs know far less about News International than you do (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/murdochs-know-far-less-about-news-international-than-you-do-201107194097/)

stuckgear
20th Jul 2011, 13:28
sallyanne, that is the key point.

now in all respects could anyone blame Murdoch ? He's been allowed as foreign national to buy up and own foreign media dominance, along with other foreign nationals owning british media, media control is dominated by foreign influence. all they are doing is leveraging the power base they have accumulated for their own benefit.

in all senses, this is our own fault, the regulators have as usual, been asleep at the wheel and the pollies have grown to lick dick and suck scrotum of foreign nationals for our democratic representation. blair did much dick licking and scrotum sucking to court the murdoch empire and their leverage (as well as others), without the foresight to consider that allegiances switch when foreign ownership should heve been limited.

the rank corruption on farcical met police investigations [sic] on the murdoch empire are clear evidence of political pandering for favour.

Blair, is, always has been and always will be a c:mad:t.

stuckgear
20th Jul 2011, 13:29
and by the way siti..

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee201/sitigeltfel/Murdochpies.jpg

i love it !

Slasher
20th Jul 2011, 13:34
Ah-Sallyann one said wut - exackery! Correc correc!

Agree total lah. :ok:

JR-y5T9c_BA

Sallyann1234
20th Jul 2011, 13:48
Actually Slasher it's not surprising that he mentioned Singapore, since it's controlled by Lee father and son, just as NI is run by Murdoch father and son.

Turbine D
20th Jul 2011, 14:46
Interesting Washington Post editorial opinion:

Just deserts for ‘Citizen Murdoch’ - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/just-deserts-for-citizen-murdoch/2011/07/18/gIQAYn23LI_story.html?wpisrc=nl_opinions)

sitigeltfel
20th Jul 2011, 15:09
Share in the Murdoch empire rose 6% after their enquiry appearance. :hmm:

G-CPTN
20th Jul 2011, 15:30
Well they have stopped paying Mulcaire's legal expenses (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/20/glenn-mulcaire-legal-fees) now.

Capetonian
20th Jul 2011, 15:35
The person who said that "Singapore is the most open and clear society in the world" has obviously never lived there. Passed through as a tourist perhaps, but obviously never lived there.

Even passing through a couple of times on brief stops I felt the oppressive and secretive nature of the place, I also found many people to be arrogant and abrasive. Certainly not somewhere I have the slightest wish to ever return to, although unfortunately I have to visit the place in October and am not looking forward to it.

pigboat
20th Jul 2011, 16:17
Christopher Hitchens on scandal sheets. (http://www.slate.com/id/2298936/)

Terence Corcoran: This Fox hunt not about hacking. (http://opinion.financialpost.com/2011/07/13/terence-corcoran-this-fox-hunt-not-about-hacking/)

sitigeltfel
20th Jul 2011, 17:47
Shoot the messenger..........:ugh:

Gobby gobsmacked | The Waugh Room | | PoliticsHome (http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/32408/gobby_gobsmacked.html)

Fareastdriver
20th Jul 2011, 18:48
Mr Johnathan May Bowles is lucky that Wendi didn't come from Sichuan, otherwise he would be dead; and probably any security guard who got in the way.
I know from experience.

TerminalTrotter
20th Jul 2011, 18:58
After seeing his performance I suspect Rupe is going for a variation of the Pinochet defence, to be followed by a similar miraculous recovery as he exits the aircraft back in ole US of A.

TT

Cacophonix
20th Jul 2011, 21:46
RM is a dead man walking and his board and his wife know it. Like vultures they will pick out the juicest bits from his bones.

G-CPTN
20th Jul 2011, 23:11
I suppose Wendi will stick around long enough to get her inheritance?

What then?

Will the Wolf return?

parabellum
21st Jul 2011, 00:17
Have lived quite a while in Singapore. The only thing RM got right was that the politicians are, more or less clean, because of the huge amounts they get paid. LKY has always said he would lock up for life any pollie he caught cheating, the only one so far shot himself, (some say LKY provided the gun!).

Capetonian - the best way to handle Singapore is to play the tourist, take it at face value, nothing more as you can't change anything, that is how we lasted there for as long as we did!

con-pilot
21st Jul 2011, 02:05
RM is a dead man walking and his board and his wife know it. Like vultures they will pick out the juicest bits from his bones.

I respectfully disagree. The populace have very short memories, a couple of weeks from now something else will grab the headlines and Rupert Murdock will carry on, as usual.

I'll bet a beer on it.

(Course then again, I'll bet a beer on about anything, cause no one really ever loses a beer bet. :p)

FLCH
21st Jul 2011, 02:12
http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/whiteraven810/f3bbf39423c86d4435f1b6728a7a1437.jpg?v=196608

After it's all over.....

Andu
21st Jul 2011, 04:00
I have to agree with you, con-pilot. Three or fours weeks from now, when some other 'crisis' or celebratory is occupying the public mind, the Dirty Digger (who's now an American) will quietly (or not so quietly) launch 'The Sunday Sun' or somesuch yellow rag to cover the void left by NOTW and will re-employ 80% of the old staff - but, you can guarantee, on contracts that will be more favourable to Rupert rather than the staff.

I'd also say it's a safe bet that he'll screw them over in regard to any benefits they will have held as long term employees of NOTW. It'll be a clean slate contract.

Rollingthunder
21st Jul 2011, 06:04
Think he deserves all he gets and maybe more. Can you say "Conrad Black"?

Bravo73
21st Jul 2011, 18:36

We follow the US practice of specifying that media cannot be owned by foreign nationals. Murdoch had to take US citizenship in order to buy Fox. He could not be a UK citizen as well...

Why couldn't he just have 'Dual Nationality'? (ie US & UK. Or even, US, UK and Australian?)

Sallyann1234
21st Jul 2011, 19:14
First he would have to qualify for British citizenship, which is not a simple matter - particularly if you are not wanted, as Mr al Fayed can confirm.

UK Border Agency | British citizenship (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/)

Bravo73
21st Jul 2011, 19:47
I'd hazard a guess that he probably already qualifies. Bear in mind that he has been a close 'friend' and ally of consecutive UK governments for the past few decades.

Something which Al Fayed couldn't really lay claim to... ;)

Sallyann1234
21st Jul 2011, 20:15
Do you read the site I linked?

Bravo73
21st Jul 2011, 20:23
Er, yep. And?

I'm sure that if/when* he received his UK passport, he didn't have to apply via the usual channels.

*Delete as applicable, depending on whether you think that News Corp's legions of seriously highly paid lawyers might have seen this one coming some time during the last, oooh, 40-odd years. ;)

Turbine D
21st Jul 2011, 21:04
I read it, too!

He is a good "character", should have no problem with that aspect.;)

The full capacity thing might be problematic. Would being down a half pint be a problem? :confused:

Sallyann1234
21st Jul 2011, 21:15
And how does he meet the previous criteria?

lived in the UK for five years?
married a UK citizen?

Cacophonix
21st Jul 2011, 21:23
(Course then again, I'll bet a beer on about anything, cause no one really ever loses a beer bet. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/tongue.gif)

Con, can't argue with that ;).

Still, like younger Chinese wives, boards aren't sentimental.

Be not afraid of mistakes and thus make them crimes!

Turbine D
21st Jul 2011, 21:41
Well, his mother, Elisabeth, holds the title of "Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire", does that count for anything? She is 102 years old.:ooh:

Also, his second wife, Anna, was Scottish born, close enough, don'cha think?

I think he is in, pending a review of the full capacity, down a half pint thingy.;)

Cacophonix
21st Jul 2011, 21:43
What more do you want from the guy?

Blood!

His mangy stringy arse being eaten by dingoes...

Caco

I think he is a decent man, and have seen no evidence to the contrary. He quickly repudiated the violations of the company under his flag, and shut down the whole operation, suggesting to me he was repulsed and disgusted by their transgressions.

BandAide

You never struck me as an ingenue!

Caco

Cacophonix
21st Jul 2011, 21:54
BandeAide

Some of the best humanists were cannibals!

Bravo73
21st Jul 2011, 22:16
And how does he meet the previous criteria?

lived in the UK for five years?
married a UK citizen?

Like I said, I don't think that he had to apply via the normal channels. So the usual criteria wouldn't apply.

I imagine that the conversation went something like this:

"G'day Maggie/John/Tony/David, if I win the next election for you, can I please have a British passport? Thanks, cobber. Fair dinkum etc etc etc'.

I don't mean to offend, Sallyann, but your naivety is quite touching. ;)

Cacophonix
21st Jul 2011, 22:23
The only Aussi "Rupe" that makes sense to me was one of the interceptors in the first (authentic) Mad Max film. Not one ersatz American accent in the way there for sure.

RM take heed!

Turbine D
21st Jul 2011, 23:00
BandeAide,

I have a soft spot for Rupert Murdoch.

I think he is a decent man, and have seen no evidence to the contrary. He quickly repudiated the violations of the company under his flag, and shut down the whole operation, suggesting to me he was repulsed and disgusted by their transgressions.

It seems news travels quite slowly to Somewhere else.

A leader of a corporation that has integrity assumes responsibility for all that takes place within the organization, good or bad. He or she pushes an ethics and integrity theme down through the corporation to the lowest levels and keeps a pulse on and monitors whether or not the program is working. Rupert, his son, James and his executive, Rebekah all failed the ownership, ethics and integrity test. All denied responsibility for what transpired under the guise of "we were ambushed", "we had no knowledge", "we were not informed" and "we think what happened was awful" (as if it occurred on some other planet).

Did you hear any of the three say, "As a leader of this corporation, I take full responsibility for what has happened"? I didn't. So, I want Rupert, James and Rebekah to own up. Closing NoW was a business ploy to save the deal to buy the remaining stock not owed of bSKYb. Hopefully, it will not work.

I would like to see Rupert & James change the so called "Fair & Balance" theme that is constantly displayed, particularly on Fox News. It isn't fair and balanced, it is very much slanted to the right. Why keep advertising a lie? Corporate culture, I guess.

I would like to see the Wall Street Journal returned to a financial newspaper it once was. It is a political rag with some financial news and a lot of USA Today news, another Rupert newspaper. Even our local newspaper succumbed and carries two pages of USA Today news.

So those are the things I want from the guy! You asked...

Fubaar
22nd Jul 2011, 00:49
I think he is a decent man,Bandaide, if you had about half a lifetime to spare, I think you could quite easily find about 1700 Australian airline pilots (for a starter) along with many, many others in the world of the media who'd be very happy to bend your ear to disabuse you of that rather quaint notion.

parabellum
22nd Jul 2011, 01:16
My wife just got back from a few days 'retail therapy' in Singapore, she found the traders all as helpful as ever but officials in hotels and airport less so and put it down to times getting harder for the locals, higher cost of living but no pay increases etc.

Like any good Mafia boss Murdoch will have placed several layers of protection between himself and any dirty deeds, he won't be going to prison.

Jane-DoH
22nd Jul 2011, 01:37
Sallyann1234

We follow the US practice of specifying that media cannot be owned by foreign nationals. Murdoch had to take US citizenship in order to buy Fox. He could not be a UK citizen as well, so if we did the same here he would have to sell off his interests in British press and TV.

Agreed...

It would also stop Russian ex-KGB officers buying UK papers.

Are you serious?

That is just the craziest statement. In Singapore, all press and TV is government controlled and licensed.

Which is dangerous because the government could revoke a TV stations license for saying something it doesn't like about it.

You cannot criticise any government minister, on pain of being sued for libel, bankrupted, imprisoned, debarred from public office and having your passport confiscated.

Yikes!

lokmu

Harsh but fair

Agreed, it's ridiculous that they could not have known anything about the paper. Get out of here...

Slasher

Ah-Sallyann one said wut - exackery! Correc correc!

Agree total lah. :ok:

JR-y5T9c_BA

Holy cow... this is something that I think needs to be made well known!:uhoh:

TerminalTrotter

After seeing his performance I suspect Rupe is going for a variation of the Pinochet defence, to be followed by a similar miraculous recovery as he exits the aircraft back in ole US of A.

Of course he is. While I don't think dementia is something to ignore, I doubt he has any serious problems and is using it as an excuse to get way with his crimes.

Jane-DoH
22nd Jul 2011, 01:52
BandAide

What crimes are you suggesting he is trying to get away with, Jane?

I don't know the exact legal system in England, but it would appear the following crimes could be applicable

- Hacking
- Bribery
- Conspiracy
- Possibly murder or murder for hire

Krystal n chips
22nd Jul 2011, 05:42
" He dismantled one of UK's leading journals "

....short of jumping off Sidney Harbour bridge with a couple of lead weights around his legs, about the one decent thing he has done.

True, it does rather depend here on whether you are being objective / subjective....or just genitically disposed to being intrinsicaly thick...with regard to defining the unlamented ( deceased ) rag in question.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt however, I assume you never actually "read " the "leading jurnul ".....few of it's reedurs had the capability to do so in the first place to be fair....hence said jownal pandered to their intellectual capacity.....which can be measured on a scale that makes Degrees Kelvin look tropical....:E

The rag can be defined in many terms.....none of which include the term "leading journal"...as you may have gathered.

Slasher
22nd Jul 2011, 06:04
Holy cow... this is something that I think needs to be made well known! :uhoh:

Its been very well known Jane ever since Harry started getting heavy-fisted in 1965.

hellsbrink
22nd Jul 2011, 06:05
I don't know the exact legal system in England, but it would appear the following crimes could be applicable

- Hacking
- Bribery
- Conspiracy
- Possibly murder or murder for hire

Which comic book did you get that from, Jane, especially the last one. Even by your standards, it's nonsense.

Andu
22nd Jul 2011, 08:02
Bandaide, are you taking the piss in making these glowing remarks about RM? He wasn't tagged 'the Dirty Digger' by the rest of the UK press without good cause, I can assure you.

I believe the common term is 'corporate culture', meaning that the rot that has been uncovered recently (but has been common knowledge in media circles for decades now) went - and goes - right to the top. Right to the very top.

Sallyann1234
22nd Jul 2011, 09:30
Like I said, I don't think that he had to apply via the normal channels. So the usual criteria wouldn't apply.

I imagine that the conversation went something like this:

"G'day Maggie/John/Tony/David, if I win the next election for you, can I please have a British passport? Thanks, cobber. Fair dinkum etc etc etc'.

What the hell are you talking about with your past tense, Bravo ?

The Wizened of Oz is NOT a UK citizen. He was born an Australian, but lost his Oz citizenship when he took up US citizenship in order to buy US TV stations.

To qualify for UK citizenship he would have to be resident for five years, or marry a UK citizen.

I don't mean to offend, Sallyann, but your naivety is quite touching. Yeah, right!

Lon More
22nd Jul 2011, 09:47
Bandaide either your naivety is touching or you're taking the piss :confused:

The only difference between NI and a swamp is the number of legs on the alligators.

Slasher
22nd Jul 2011, 11:02
To reinvent Bandaide's post -

I don't think Hitler himself has been tied to any of this. In fact, he has shown with some alacrity his desire to excise the offending appendage. He dismantled one of Germany's leading prisons for Chrissakes! What more can he do?

Give the man a chance to do the right thing. So far I'm of the opinion he had nothing to do with the Jewish murders, conspiracy, and other nefarious deeds perpetrated under the staff of a portion of his Nazi empire.

The Allies hates him as the imprimateur of the Reich Law Gazette and Volkischer Beobachter. Keep that in mind as he is villified by the usual suspects. As for me, I'm going to continue to listen to Reichsrundfunk Berlin and subscribe to The Times.

Andu
22nd Jul 2011, 11:48
Slasher, :ok:

larssnowpharter
22nd Jul 2011, 12:44
A leader of a corporation that has integrity assumes responsibility for all that takes place within the organization, good or bad. He or she pushes an ethics and integrity theme down through the corporation to the lowest levels and keeps a pulse on and monitors whether or not the program is working.

I believe the common term is 'corporate culture', meaning that the rot that has been uncovered recently (but has been common knowledge in media circles for decades now) went - and goes - right to the top. Right to the very top.

Hear, Hear

If you are CEO (or its equivalent) of an organization you are responsible for the corporate culture of said organization. In short, you are a leader. In RM's case, he built it from virtually scratch. He set the standards.

RM patently set standards that were so low that he has got his business into trouble to the extent that , it seems, it was the norm to break the law. He needs to take responsibility for this.

His previous defence that it was a 'rogue reporter' is now demonstrated to be patently untrue. He now seems to be relying on senility as his defence.

Odious man who has built his media empire pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Bravo73
22nd Jul 2011, 15:44
What the hell are you talking about with your past tense, Bravo ?

The Wizened of Oz is NOT a UK citizen. He was born an Australian, but lost his Oz citizenship when he took up US citizenship in order to buy US TV stations.

And how do you know that he isn't now also an Autralian citizen again? At the time that he wanted to become American (1985), Australian law said that someone had to surrender their Australian nationality if they wanted to take on another nationality. This law was changed in 2002.

And, more to the point, how do you know that he isn't a UK citizen? Because Google told you so?

To qualify for UK citizenship he would have to be resident for five years, or marry a UK citizen.

Yes, or help successive UK governments win their respective national elections. Those governments can then be very generous with who it awards citizenship to. Don't you get it yet???

Believe or not, there really are rules for one and rules for others. It is the way that it has always been and it is the way that it will always be.

Now then, where's my tinfoil hat gone... :E

WingSlinger
22nd Jul 2011, 16:16
I have a soft spot for Rupert Murdoch. He gave voice to the conservative viewpoint, via Fox News, in the United States that was stifled since the 1960's.

Where were Murdoch's critics when WikiLeaks went rogue? (http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Where+were+Murdoch+critics+when+WikiLeaks+went+rogue/5141585/story.html)

How does this year's phonehacking scandal at the nowdefunct British tabloid News of the World - owned, I hardly need add, by News Corp., The Wall Street Journal's parent company - compare with last year's contretemps over the release of classified information by Julian Assange's WikiLeaks and his partners at The New York Times, The Guardian and other newspapers?

At bottom, they're largely the same story.

So why is Murdoch a villain and Asange a hero?

We should be told...

Sallyann1234
22nd Jul 2011, 16:28
And, more to the point, how do you know that he isn't a UK citizen? Because Google told you so?
Because every news medium in the land said that, not being a UK citizen, he couldn't be forced to appear before a parliamentary committee. Do you really think that none of them would have checked?

Yes, or help successive UK governments win their respective national elections. Those governments can then be very generous with who it awards citizenship to.
In the present climate, for any PM to grant Murdoch UK citizenship would be political suicide.

Don't you get it yet???
Please stop digging, or I'll have to fetch you a ladder.