PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Flight Training

#1-Stunna
19th Jul 2011, 00:13
Orlando Flight Training recently hosted two seminars in Jamaica in which they offered $10,000 USD scholarships to a select number of individuals. Their flight training cost is originally $55,000 USD but with the scholarship it goes down to $45,000 USD. Please, tell me, do you think this is a legitimate offer? Also, do you think it is worth it? Heres what that $45,000 USD includes:

252 Hours of Total Flying Time
FAA Private Pilots License
FAA Instrument RatingFAA Hour Building Phase
ICAO/JAA ATPL Theoretical Training
737-800 Flight Simulator Training
FAA Commercial Multi Engine with Instrument Rating
All Required Flight Instruction
All Required Ground Instruction
Eight Months Shared Room Accommodations
Books & Materials, Pilot Supplies
Three FAA Theoretical Knowledge Exams
M1 Visa Processing and TSA Screening Fees
Fuel Surcharges

punk666
19th Jul 2011, 12:05
OFT do not have a 738 simulator!! on top of that why would you waste your time in a 738 sim if you training to get the basic licenses.

Another thing that seems a bit iffy is that there training you for FAA so it seems, but chuck in a 6 month JAA ATPL theory class ???

zondaracer
19th Jul 2011, 13:29
Yeah, it looks like a straight up FAA course, I´m not sure why they would throw in JAA theory. I think the 737-800 sim stuff is done in Miami by another company, again, not sure why you need that.

Also, for your FAA Commercial MultiEngine and Instrument rating, I could find you a dozen places in the US where you could find the same price for the same FAA ratings after you even throw in living expenses.

XXPLOD
19th Jul 2011, 15:40
The logic of the JAA ATPL theory is that the course is aimed at those whose intention is to return to Europe to convert their CPL and IR to JAA, the idea being that it is cheaper than doing all the training in the UK. That of course, is debatable!

zondaracer
19th Jul 2011, 16:31
The logic of the JAA ATPL theory is that the course is aimed at those whose intention is to return to Europe to convert their CPL and IR to JAA, the idea being that it is cheaper than doing all the training in the UK. That of course, is debatable!

XXPLOD, I understand what you are saying, however, most who go to OFT with the intention of returning to Europe also do the JAA CPL SE and ME at OFT, so they only have to convert the IR once they get back to Europe. So, since the OP posted the course, which only seems to be a FAA course, it seems that the JAA ATPL theory is just fluff.

#1-Stunna
20th Jul 2011, 23:24
Don't think I'm going to go there, I'm in my final year of high school so I might just go to a University in the US where I can get a degree and fly at the same time. These people from OFT are telling us that its not important to get a degree if you want to be a pilot, but I know thats not true.

punk666
21st Jul 2011, 09:53
You dont need a degree to become a pilot, you just need a good bank balance!!
In the states this might be the case but for us EU guys its not a requirement.