PDA

View Full Version : Deafness in one ear.

jackg
18th Jul 2011, 16:32
I am thinking of starting my pilots licence soon but was informed by a close friend that I might not be able to. 6 or 7 years ago I was hit by a car and had a major skull fracture and was left in a coma for nearly 4 days. Cut a long story short, as a result of the incident I have suffered nerve damage and am death in my left ear. I have a perfectly normal ear drum, no infection (that I am aware of) but can only hear out of my one ear. Apart from the left ear the rest of my body is fit and healthy.
I know I can’t join the RAF, the have already turned me down but what about becoming a commercial pilot?
Any help would be appreciated.

stator vane
18th Jul 2011, 16:37
get an aviation doctor to check you out and tell you!

kotakota
18th Jul 2011, 17:04
Sorry son , it cannot happen if you are completely deaf in any form or shape.
I know of a few colleagues over the year who were hard of hearing and who managed their careers in various ways , but if you cannot hear at all from one ear , especially from the one listening to the Captain , then even I , the eternal optimist , cannot help. Sorry to be the bearer , but you HAVE to have the basic faculties of speech , eyesight and hearing. Please try and get into ATC if you REALLY want to do aviation , best of luck .

cockney steve
18th Jul 2011, 17:21
and am death in my left ear.

Freudian slip? -:E

That's a bit of a bugger, but still shouldn't stop you flying for pleasure (PPL)- not the same, I know, but better than a wooden overcoat.
good luck.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Jul 2011, 17:41
<<Please try and get into ATC if you REALLY want to do aviation>

Don't raise his hopes because I suspect that would be impossible. Controllers need both ears functioning normally.

kbrockman
18th Jul 2011, 17:49
It sounds like you lucked out, sorry about that but as far as careers in aviation goes, the big money or career opportunities are not to be found in that part
of the sector anyway.

Better to get a good degree in engineering ,best for aviation is something like
material sciences(masters) or something similar in combination with a one year specialization in management, after that get a fatcheck job and earn enough
to make flying your hobby iso of your day to day job and go flying GA, tht should still be more than achievable in your current medical condition.

jackg
19th Jul 2011, 13:02
I understand that i must be able to hear the captain speak. But i would be able to through a headset, do pilots not use these in large jets?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Jul 2011, 15:20
Rather than ask on here you would be better advised to have a word with the CAA medics at Gatwick. They are very helpful and I am sure that in your case they would be able to give a quick answer.

As far as ATC goes, headsets are used for both R/T and telephone. R/T in both earpieces until the telephone is used, then it's phone in one side, R/T in the other.

afhelipilot
25th Jul 2011, 06:48
Maybe your hearing problem is just a temporary one? I had a problem with a hearing on one ear when I was young, but I overcomed it, I just started to put on the walkman all the time long for about 2 hours a day. And at 2 pm we usually finished our outdoors activities back in Africa, and while walking back to a hotel, again I had a walkman on turned on loudly. And I went to a doctor and I was ok with the results. I heard that the loud music helps the death cells in an ear to revi, themselves.Then I had joined the aero club and had made my helicopter license . So maybe its a temporary problem? But, while being at a cockpit many pilots like my capt cousin are losing the hearing at some point and are flying. You might feel a little bit oversensitive about the people don't you? I was s with all the airlines, but I got scared about a fact that I can lose my hearing forever while flying so still , not sure. So please check if your hearing deficit is a temporary or not and then take a test again. Or stay with the helicopters if you can. Oxford is my u. Just try your best . Or make a license after consulting with a doctor anyhow. .:ugh:

mad_jock
25th Jul 2011, 09:51
The fact you had in the past major head trauma and have been in a coma may also be an issue.

redsnail
25th Jul 2011, 10:07
Have a read of JAR-FCL 3 (http://www.us-ppl.de/pdf/jaa/533489.pdf)
In particular, 3.210 (b)(4) and the relevant appendix as well as 3.235 (a) and (c) and its' appendix.

From the first glance, you need to hear voice speech in both ears from a distance of 2m.

However, for a definitive answer, only your relevant Authority can say "yay or nay"

Scottyo1
8th Sep 2016, 03:13
Hey man I lost my hearing in my right ear, and training to be a commercial pilot in America. You can get a medical 2 here which allows you to fly commercially here. The way you lost your hearing might be an issue ( the skull fracture) or it might not. I lost my hearing after I went swimming and dived down and came up. but I have suspicions the part that was damaged in my ear was loosened by a blow to my head. So before I went on loads of websites and even yahoo to ask the question if I could be a pilot and a lot of the time I was told no or something else. But man I prayed and hey it was answered man. So firstly I would say pray about it and go and give it a shot if that what you are called to do man.